The Dark Mod Forums

Unable to update.

LordPariah

I cant use the updater version 0.63 - it always fails. Here's my log.

http://pastebin.com/wnGFmVvj

I've attempted to run it as administrator, but that doesn't work either.

Edited by LordPariah

Yeah, I think some of the old updaters don't work because they lack security features. Have you tried downloading the latest tdm_update from the main downloads page?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah, I think some of the old updaters don't work because they lack security features. Have you tried downloading the latest tdm_update from the main downloads page?

Can I have a link? The version up for download is .63

Edited by LordPariah

I analysed the log and searched the net for sollutions (keyword: "boost::filesystem::rename: Access is denied".

Everywhere I looked, they said it's an user-permission error.

You can try the following possible sollutions:

• Run the updater from a command promt with administrator privileges, to test the updater. (create shortcut to cmd, run shortcut as administrator, run updater from command prompt).
  • Reinstall darkmod with my graphical installer, dont run the updater, move the files and run the updater from the shortcut. (The installer sets automaticly the darkmod-work environment with right user-permissions, if selected).
    For more infomation, see this topic.
  • add your user-account to the local administrators usergroup.
  • shorten the name of the darkmod folder from "THE DARK MOD Version 2.0 - Standalone Release" to "darkmod" (not a sollution, but it looks better).

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I analysed the log and searched the net for sollutions (keyword: "boost::filesystem::rename: Access is denied".

Everywhere I looked, they said it's an user-permission error.

You can try the following possible sollutions:

• Run the updater from a command promt with administrator privileges, to test the updater. (create shortcut to cmd, run shortcut as administrator, run updater from command prompt).
  • Reinstall darkmod with my graphical installer, dont run the updater, move the files and run the updater from the shortcut. (The installer sets automaticly the darkmod-work environment with right user-permissions, if selected).
    For more infomation, see this topic.
  • add your user-account to the local administrators usergroup.
  • shorten the name of the darkmod folder from "THE DARK MOD Version 2.0 - Standalone Release" to "darkmod" (not a sollution, but it looks better).

Could you give me more in depth instructions on how to do some of these things? I dont know what to look for.

add your user-account to the local administrators usergroup.

I wouldn't think you would need to do this since you said you already tried running it as an administrator so your logged account should already be in that group or you wouldn't have that option.

Run the updater from a command promt with administrator privileges, to test the updater. (create shortcut to cmd, run shortcut as administrator, run updater from command prompt).

Without using a shortcut, on Windows 7 you can go Start > All Programs > Accessories folder > right click Command Prompt executable > Run as Administrator

Then navigate to the folder where you have placed tdm_update.exe

Judging by your log file its, "F:\Games\THE DARK MOD", is that correct? I would also change the name of the dark mod folder to just, "darkmod" with no spaces. I believe this issue was patched out but just in case, rename the folder, "darkmod" with no spaces.

So if you're not familar with navigating at the command prompt, just copy this (AFTER renaming the directory to "darkmod") and switching to the F: drive:

cd /d f:/games/darkmod

Then right click the title bar of your command prompt window and you'll get a menu > Edit > Paste > then hit the Enter key. You can just type this in if you'd rather not paste, just showing you another tool.

This will change to the "f:/games/darkmod" directory. Your prompt should now show f:\games\darkmod>

You can then type "dir" (no quotes, it means "directory") and it will list the files in the "darkmod" directory. You should see "tdm_update.exe" in the file list. Are we in the right place?

Then just type "tdm_update.exe" (no quotes) and it should start the executable.

You can also type any command like "cd" or "dir" with a space /? if you want help on any command and what its switches and arguments are. Some examples: cd /? dir /? copy /?

Type "exit" and hit Enter when you're done with the command prompt window or just click the X in the corner.

I don't see how doing it this way is any different than right clicking the tdm_update.exe file and running it as admin but who knows what ebil lurks in the heart of men. :P

Edited by Lux

I wouldn't think you would need to do this since you said you already tried running it as an administrator so your logged account should already be in that group or you wouldn't have that option.

Without using a shortcut, on Windows 7 you can go Start > All Programs > Accessories folder > right click Command Prompt executable > Run as Administrator

Then navigate to the folder where you have placed tdm_update.exe

Judging by your log file its, "F:\Games\THE DARK MOD", is that correct? I would also change the name of the dark mod folder to just, "darkmod" with no spaces. I believe this issue was patched out but just in case, rename the folder, "darkmod" with no spaces.

So if you're not familar with navigating at the command prompt, just copy this (AFTER renaming the directory to "darkmod") and switching to the F: drive:

cd /d f:/games/darkmod

Then right click the title bar of your command prompt window and you'll get a menu > Edit > Paste > then hit the Enter key. You can just type this in if you'd rather not paste, just showing you another tool.

This will change to the "f:/games/darkmod" directory. Your prompt should now show f:\games\darkmod>

You can then type "dir" (no quotes, it means "directory") and it will list the files in the "darkmod" directory. You should see "tdm_update.exe" in the file list. Are we in the right place?

Then just type "tdm_update.exe" (no quotes) and it should start the executable.

You can also type any command like "cd" or "dir" with a space /? if you want help on any command and what its switches and arguments are. Some examples: cd /? dir /? copy /?

Type "exit" and hit Enter when you're done with the command prompt window or just click the X in the corner.

I don't see how doing it this way is any different than right clicking the tdm_update.exe file and running it as admin but who knows what ebil lurks in the heart of men. :P

Yeah, that didn't work. Same errors. I'm a bit antsy about using freyk's little utility to fix my issue too. It seems a little dodgy. What other solutions could there be?

Edited by LordPariah

@LP, do you have teamviewer installed and a fast internet connection. I can then remote in and see what the issue is.

No, I don't. But I trust you enough. If you can make great maps you can be trusted with my computer. If you have skype or teamspeak so we can collaborate over voice while you work(Ah, message me those btw. I'll install teamviewer once we get in touch.), that'd be nice. I'd like to get this issue fixed.

Edited by LordPariah

I'm a bit antsy about using freyk's little utility to fix my issue too. It seems a little dodgy.

It seems like a handy utility but I have not looked at it or used it so I could not make a call on that. I would think and hope that its not "dodgy". :)

I hope Biker gets it sorted for you.

EDIT: after having a look at it I don't see anything at all dodgy with it. Seems like a nice little installer package.

"YOU MUST HAVE THE FULL VERSION OF THE ID SOFTWARE GAME ENTITLED DOOM 3 INSTALLED"

I don't understand why this text segment is on the disclaimer sign off page because its obviously not needed anymore.

Edited by Lux

I cant use the updater version 0.63 - it always fails. Here's my log.

http://pastebin.com/wnGFmVvj

I've attempted to run it as administrator, but that doesn't work either.

The downloader not able to write any files, so there are a couple of options:

• * "F:\Games\THE DARK MOD Version 2.0 - Standalone Release\" <-- is this path read-only? (It seems you downloaded a 2.0 full package from somewhere?)
  • * Is "F:\Games\" writable? You might see the permissions if you right-click on the folder)

What you could try is to:

1. create a directory F:\darkmod (no spaces) or F:\Games\darkmod
  2. put the updater in there
  3. run it from there

It will download a full copy of the mod again, but it might not have the permission problem then. Otherwise, yeah, Biker's remote support might be the last resort. Sorry!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'm a bit antsy about using freyk's little utility to fix my issue too. It seems a little dodgy.

Even if you download the sourcecode of the installer (nsis-script) from my site, compile and run it yourself? :wacko:

I hope the given sollutions above and/or bikerdude, can help you.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

The problem of the topicstarter is a good example and the reaseon why i created and proposed the installer.

To prevent this kind of userpermission problems when manual installing this game.

So bikerdude (and others), please try to import my installer in your gameproduct.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Found this issue/s

• LP didnt have write perms on the darkmod folder, even though he was an Admin.
  • And for some strange reason the folder and its contents were set to read only.

It might be an artefact of downloading a full archive and unpacking it (maybe as non-admin?).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

That is something the updater should detect and warn about, instead of continuing on and on :)

My advice for the developer of dm-updater for the Windows version, is to wrap my installer around the updater, when the updater is ready to publisch (for the beginners). And publisch another zip of the updater (for the more-advanced users).

It's just adding another step to the process, to make the installation easier for the users and prevent problems like these.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!