The Dark Mod Forums

What content do you want?

Guest garthzombie

Textures are but the models arent in a format we can use or convert.

Huh? i've put plenty of models from opengameart into TDM, 99% of them are blender files which export LWO/ASE models no problem

Opps I stand correctly, I am not overly familiar with Blender model extenstions.

Anything with a ".blend" (open-able in Blender of course) should export into a TDM format. Sometimes you have to play with the textures/model a bit to get it right but i've managed to pull quite a few custom models in :)

I'd like FM's with these new Moors NPC's. Might make some interesting story I reckon.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...

http://i.imgur.com/iLg3tZX.jpg

I have more or less finished the candles, I finished rendering out a 64 frame flame this morning. It moves and is animated, looks more or less how a candle flame would animate.

Where can I upload this for you guys?

I'm having some trouble getting these working as tdm entities. In the screenshot they're a lovely orange colour, but when I load them in tdm the glow is pure white. The " scale" keyword doesn't appear to be doing anything.

Hi

We are having the same issue in Arx EOS too, so its probably not a TDM specific issue.

I have not fiddled around with the shaders yet to try and work out what the problem is yet. Its on my long list of things to do.

Thanks

I'm having some trouble getting these working as tdm entities. In the screenshot they're a lovely orange colour, but when I load them in tdm the glow is pure white. The " scale" keyword doesn't appear to be doing anything.

My understanding of the "coloured" keyword which you mentioned in a previous post edit is that it forwards the color of the entity (as controlled via the "_color" spawnarg) to the material shader, so that the material can change colour to match the owning entity. This is important for light objects, where certain parts of the model (e.g. the glass of a lamp) should match the colour of the emitted light. I suspect you are seeing white because there is no _color spawnarg on the entity you are using.

I think he's using a material with Rebb's "gloss map" changes. It requires that you alter the interaction.vfp to look right:

http://idtechforums....php?topic=122.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0sv6EArQ0w

ZE9KA9G.jpg

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

My understanding of the "coloured" keyword which you mentioned in a previous post edit is that it forwards the color of the entity (as controlled via the "_color" spawnarg) to the material shader, so that the material can change colour to match the owning entity.

That one I managed to figure out. The "scale" keyword, although it's supposed to (afaik) affect the physical size of the texture, in this case actually changes the colour of the texture it's applied to, which doesn't make any sense to me. I'm having to adjust the textures so that they work like our existing candles, with an rgb stage that follows a table for the 'glow'.

edit: These candles use a sprite for the candleflame, while ours use a particle. Is there a case to be made for one being superior to the other?

@Solar,

hey stranger :-)

Hi Bikerdude

How are you doing? been a long time since we last spoke... hope things are good with you :)

About these candles... I just can't understand how Zombies screen shot looks so different from the results I (we) are getting. I can get close to the screenshot if I totally change the texture colour...

Maybe it is another modification he has installed like nbohr1more suggested? I think he was just using vanilla though...

Also Zombie went for a sprite based approach for the flame as that is what I asked him for at the time. We were going to reuse an existing flame asset that we already had you see to save time. However he decided to render out an animation into a texture. Which I think looks great in the most part. There are obviously issues looking at the flame from above as it looks wrong facing the view that way. Although it should be easy to swap it for a TDM particle if you guys think that would be better.

Hope Zombie comes on the forum(s) soon... I guess he has been busier that expected after getting back home from France...

Cheers all.

The "scale" keyword, although it's supposed to (afaik) affect the physical size of the texture, in this case actually changes the colour of the texture it's applied to, which doesn't make any sense to me

There are two different "scale" keywords. There is a stage keyword "scale x, y" which performs texture coordinate scaling of the material stage, and there is the image map function "scale(<image map>, float)" which scales the RGBA values of the given image (essentially making it brighter or darker).

Yep, I think Rebb's materials for the Gloss support use scale to brighten or darken the alpha channel to increase or decrease the specular intensity...

Guest garthzombie

Hey guys,

Nope stock D3, no reason to use Rebbs mod for making assets for someone who doesn't use that.

I'm checking now as to why the candle flame would be white.

• Like 1

Guest garthzombie

I tested the PK4 I sent solar, with no other folders and it works fine. Not sure what the problem is.

Also Rebbs gloss control doesn't use the alpha channel of the image. He just exposed the alpha value to control the gloss intensity.

Guest garthzombie

Also sorry for not going on the forums, I am on vacation/not really interested in working with idtech anymore. I've been using it for 17 years now and the tech is just really outdated.

I'm not sure what I am gonna do, maybe take up clay modelling ;)

Also sorry for not going on the forums, I am on vacation/not really interested in working with idtech anymore. I've been using it for 17 years now and the tech is just really outdated.

I'm not sure what I am gonna do, maybe take up clay modelling ;)

Hi

Sad to hear you are not that interested in it anymore, but completely understand why.

Thanks for taking a look. I will try the candles in vanilla too. Am using them in a Sikkmod based build and the candle bodies are the colour of mud normally and then when the add stage takes effect the bodies turn bright white. Its just really curious how they are a million miles from the nice orange glow of your screenshot. Obviously TDM is using all sorts of special image programs too, so perhaps its related to that. Thanks again.

Cheers

Edited by solarsplace

Well, for us the interaction shader that JC Denton made is very quick to take specular values and jump to white. We probably just need to tone-down

the specular regardless.

Guest garthzombie

Oh I understand the issue now :D

You need to assign a color to the candles, preferably the same color as your lights. But maybe a bit darker, so you get that subsurface scatter-ish effect.

If you just plonk them in the level as is, they will be super glowy :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well, I guess this thread is my best bet.

A reworked, "winter edition" of the maids' and other female servants' model. One in which the AI is wearing a simple, plain-looking fur coat, roughly like this one (the front can include either historically plausible buttons or lacing, depending on what might look better).

As the heads of the AIs seem modular from the DR screenshots I've seen so far (haven't worked with it yet, so I'm basing it off of those), I think the only real thing in need of editing would be the existing meshes and textures for those characters.

I have a particular interest in this AI model because the FM I plan to develop takes place at winter time and includes a major lower-class female character who's going to be spending a lot of time outside. I don't find it plausible that she would be strolling around in that sort of cold with her usual "barmaid cleavage" clothes.

Looking at some of the furniture and decorations included in the latest TDM update, I'm actually not that worried about props in general. But if I come across something during the building and writing of the mission, I'll remember to ask here.

I think the only real thing in need of editing would be the existing meshes and textures for those characters.

Modifying animated meshes is the most difficult job there is, so I don't know how much response you're likely to get. You might get somewhere def-attaching a furry sleeve model to an existing AI though.

Modifying animated meshes is the most difficult job there is, so I don't know how much response you're likely to get. You might get somewhere def-attaching a furry sleeve model to an existing AI though.

I understand that, but what I meant was that we wouldn't need an entirely new set of animations for the NPC. The "winter edition" with the coat would obviously be a bit different on the outside (in the torso area), but we wouldn't require rigging up the whole mesh for a modified animation set of the usual maid AI model.

The "winter edition" with the coat would obviously be a bit different on the outside (in the torso area), but we wouldn't require rigging up the whole mesh for a modified animation set of the usual maid AI model.

Well, yes, you could re-use the existing hand and feet meshes, but the rest would have to be modelled and rigged, which not many people know how to do.

How about the new female townsfolk or even female mage models? Unlike the wench, they don't have bare arms or cleavage. (The mage would need reskinning to look lower class, though.)

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying