The Dark Mod Forums

What content do you want?

Guest garthzombie

For the female mage you could take the male one and change the head and vocal set. (Not optimal, but faster :) )

What I wish for is a rocket launcher ... with auto-aim ... and autoregen ... and, oh, oh, FOCUS. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It's not the model that'll be the problem, if Petike thinks tdm_ai_mage01_female.md5mesh is wrapped up warm enough. The occult symbols on the mage01_bottom texture are just very un-wench-like, so turning the mage into a warmly dressed servant would require changing the texture.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Changing textures is several orders of magnitude easier than changing animated meshes. In this case, you would just open the texture files in gimp or photoshop and paint over the symbols.

Really liking the look of those candles and I look forward to seeing some of the other items suggested, great work garthzombie! :)

One category of things I think could be useful to expand is, as someone else already mentioned, plants and vegetation.

Since I have not yet been able to play around much in DR (due to lack of proper laptop, still saving up for one!), this suggestion has to be evaluated by you guys who actually do.
I'm thinking a collection of really low-poly models for use in the distance could be useful for a lot of people making outdoor-themed maps. Sort of like the trees and clinging wall plant types made of single flat planes with translucency to be used as background props behind "proper" vegetation models. Or, very simple larger trees or bushes that are only viewed from a narrow angle from afar. From what I remember I don't think I've seen much of those kinds of props.

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

I like your suggestion of using a different AI and reskinning it as a time-saving measure, guys, but if the clothing that the female mage is wearing is a bit too robe-like, I think it might not seem as realistic. Obviously, I could adapt the visual side of the story to this temporary solution a bit, but I just need to be sure that the mage lady is not dressed in something that looks too much like... well, a night gown. It would be unintentionally amusing, even if I reskinned the clothing. So I'm hoping that she's wearing something roughly in the vein of a warm cloak that would make sense during the winter time. ^_^;)

As I currently have DR uninstalled and I only plan to put it back on once I run the TDM updater (which is not yet), could I ask you for a simple screenshot of the female mage AI ? That would be really, really helpful. Thanks in advance ! B)

To explain my need for such an NPC a bit further: The storyline of my FM will feature the protagonist cooperating closely with a female ally, and though she won't be by his side for the entirety of the FM (only from around the middle of it), both characters will have to cross quite a big chunk of the city streets in the FM, and reach a certain gatehouse. They'll walk outside the gate and into the wilderness and the mission will end there, as they're leaving the city (preliminarily, I am thinking of utilising Newport as the setting for the FM).

Edited by Petike the Taffer

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/3118-springheels-stuff/?p=353962

Obviously, I could adapt the visual side of the story to this temporary solution a bit, but I just need to be sure that the mage lady is not dressed in something that looks too much like... well, a night gown. It would be unintentionally amusing, even if I reskinned the clothing.

Well, if you have other options, great.

• Like 1

Thank you. :) Actually, this might even work ! B) Not sure yet, but now that I've seen the screenshot, I'll give it some thought. I'd need to do some reskining, obviously, (the symbols would have to go, etc.), but it does look serviceable for the character. Given that I want the lady to reoccur in some future FMs featuring the same protagonist, and the fact that I want to use her as a semi-active part of those storylines, she'll need a more practical and less homelier look (as she's basically an ordinary maid during the events of the first FM). This hooded look with the long cloak might be just right for her (especially in the later FMs), provided I can make a somewhat unique skin for her AI. If the new vocal set for the female mage gets done by then, I'll need to find a different female voice actor either way, given that this will be a recurring character and I want to make her feel a bit unique.