The Dark Mod Forums

OpenGL perf. on AMD/ATi gpu's: WIP fix.

Bikerdude

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, turn off rendering while on at spot and see fps gain. If there isn't much gain, then what AMD issue on Earth are you talking about.

Erm... what, if anything, does "turn off rendering" mean?

The issue is that AMD's latest most powerful card gives significantly lower fps in TDM than older nvidia cards, in the same machine. AMD have agreed there's a problem and have promised to try to fix it in the next driver release. Biker is gathering evidence to help that process and give feedback.

Erm... what, if anything, does "turn off rendering" mean?

The issue is that AMD's latest most powerful card gives significantly lower fps in TDM than older nvidia cards, in the same machine. AMD have agreed there's a problem and have promised to try to fix it in the next driver release. Biker is gathering evidence to help that process and give feedback.

Exactly, I'm not sure where the confusion lies here since AMD have already confirmed that it is an issue.

Ok, I see what you mean. But we've already got past that point in testing. Whatever your particular card does, we're seeing drops from 60fps (older nvidia) to 35 fps (newest AMD) in the same spot and on the same machine. AMD have installed TDM on their test machines and reproduced the result. So it's not a CPU problem.

FPS: 47

System: Radeon 7870 2gb, Core I7 2600k, 8gb ddr3-1600, Gigabyte p67 mobo, Win7 SP1

Catalyst version: 14.4

Screen resolution: 4320x900

AAx0, AFx1, Vsync Off, Ambient render and Interact shader Enhanced

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• Fps - 40
  • System - Radeon HD 7850 1 GB, Intel i3 530 @3.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR3-1600, Gigabyte H55 UD3H, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS, Win 7 SP1
  • Driver - Catalyst 14.9
  • Sreen res - 1680x1050
  • Settings - AA x1 & AF x16, V-Sync OFF, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Hello first time here and If it still means anything to you I'm getting 40 fps on my rig

Sapphire AMD R9 270X DualX 2GB OC Boost (1070mhz core 1400mhz gram)

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5 GHZ

8GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHZ

SSD Mushkin Chronos 120 GB

catalyst driver 14.9 on Win7 sp1

Video options AAx4, AFx16, Vsync OFF, everything else on max (enhanced)

Glad to be of some help to this great mod (or game!?) of yours i have been admiring for some time now..

Edited by bloomquest

• 2 weeks later...

Some Improvements! (?) 43 FPS and with AA 4x and 1920x1080 now! (before: no AA & 1680x1050)

training_mission_2014_11_11_17_09_44.jpg

• System - Radeon HD 7850 1 GB, Intel i3 530 @3.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR3-1600, Gigabyte H55 UD3H, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS, Win 7 SP1
  • Driver - Catalyst 14.11.1
  • Sreen res - 1920x1080
  • Settings - AA x4 & AF x16, V-Sync OFF, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced

With old settings (NO AA & 1680x1050 ) 47!

training_mission_2014_11_11_17_30_11.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

A 4-7Fps increase looks like a general driver improvement only, the equivelent nVidia card (GTX660) would be flat out @60fps at your highest setting. I have emailed my contact to see what version the driver team will include The Darkmod fix in.

It is actually a decrease (47 =>43), but at much higher settings. So this test result is useless, one would need to see the difference at the same resolution and AA setting to see what the difference is.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

He did, with the previous driver 40, latest driver 47.

Exactly, but there's a lot of FPS variance.

Edited by lowenz

Try renaming TheDarkMod.exe to darkathena.exe and see if performance improves.

47/48 -> 54 (1680x1050 - NO AA)

reading the FPS via com_showFPS (do not use FRAPS)

Edited by lowenz