The Dark Mod Forums

OpenGL perf. on AMD/ATi gpu's: WIP fix.

Bikerdude

It may be worth trying to rename TheDarkMod.exe to whatever the executable for Amnesia is named too.

No change with "Amnesia", maybe my improvements are related to a recent Amnesia DD patch!

With "DarkAthena": from 36 to 40 FPS (+11%) here, in the combat training basement (really heavy zone):

training_mission_2015_04_01_16_25_22.jpg

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this proves that AMD is still doing a better job of profiling Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena than TDM...

I wonder if they just targeted Doom 3.exe rather than TheDarkMod.exe?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah, this proves that AMD is still doing a better job of profiling Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena than TDM...

I wonder if they just targeted Doom 3.exe rather than TheDarkMod.exe?

With "Doom3" the game can't even start.....freeze@loading the FM save.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

RBDoom3BFG 1.03 on a Radeon 7850 (R7 265):

1920x1080 - AA 4x - No V-Sync (Cap @120 FPS) - No Soft Shadows -> 115 FPS

1920x1080 - AA 4x - No V-Sync (Cap @120 FPS) - Soft Shadows -> 41 FPS

NO_Soft.png
Soft.png

Soft Shadows/New Lighting Model are perforrmance killers :o

Edit: there's some strange light source-related artifact over that man and a LOT of minor shadows are missing....WTF? Is it intended? :D

Edited by lowenz

And the same scene/save with the same settings, on the twin machine but with Win8.1 and RBDoom3BFG 1.03 on a GeForce 750 Ti:

1920x1080 - AA 4x - No V-Sync (Cap @120 FPS) - Soft Shadows -> 67 FPS

Soft_NV.jpg

Yes, the 750 Ti is a little beast and beats the bigger Radeon 7850 BUT there's some problem with AA in certain corners (take a look to the glasses and the door zone).

Radeon's scene is much more morbid and de-aliased.

Edited by lowenz

Interesting results. I had performance issues on NV with shadow maps in my engine (RBDoom 3 has really screwed up shadow map, performance wise), but Nvidia fixed the driver and performance is smooth now. However, one of my team mates has exactly the same AMD GPU as you do, on Windows 8.1 64bit, and he gets like 18 fps with or without shadowmaps, where I get stable 60fps :/

Thanks for testing.

Guys, I think AMD will never improve its OpenGL driver as nVidia does it. The reason is simple: AMD has no resources for it, and never had. Also, the support of the new APIs (Mantle, D3D12, Vulkan) do also consume some AMD resources, so the only conclusion I can see is to migrate to D3D9/11.

Ok, does anyone want to hear a crazy story? (Not an April fools' joke).

I just got an e-mail from my buddy with AMD 7850. I asked him to drop atioglxx.dll from 13.1 Win8.1 32bit driver next to our game's .exe and run the test.

His GPU timing was 21.1ms in the test case. With 13.1 atioglxx.dll being dropped next to .exe brought GPU timing to 7ms !!!!! o.O WTF AMD?!?!?!

So now we'd need to figure out why rendering backend chokes driver, and perhaps that would be a solution for Win7/8 users (or maybe even Win10).

You might want to try this with TDM.

Edited by motorsep

LOL, it's working!

I got a +11% and the other 11% with the "DarkAthena" renaming.....from 36 to 44 FPS :D

Edited by lowenz

On my GeForce 750 Ti (it's a better VGA than the 660 non-TI, despite the 128 bit memory bus) TDM runs @50-51 FPS (above combat basement scene).

So still better than the Radeon 7850 43-44 FPS (with tricks)

Edited by lowenz

Bow training scene: 60 FPS with the 750Ti, still 42-43 with the 7850 (no trick can give a lift/do magic there).

Edited by lowenz

Please, take a look to the RivaTuner Statistics Server FPS number (up&left) and welcome to the Dark Optimization world! :D

"DarkAthena.exe"+2013 DLL: Dark_Athena_2015_04_02_00_42_43_212.jpg

No tricks: The_Dark_Mod_2015_04_02_00_45_47_737.jpg

Edited by lowenz

2013 DLL does something (but I think it's only about some shader-compiling optimization), but the big boost is Dark Athena profile related.

None of this tricks worked for me?!

With no tricks 40 fps, shooting range - training mission

with atiogl.dll from 13.1 driver TDM wouldn't even start for me.

And with DarkAtena rename performance was even worse, 33fps ?!

AMD R9 280 OC

Windows 7

RAM 8GB

CPU i7 2.8Ghz

Drivers 15.3 beta

None of this tricks worked for me?!

With no tricks 40 fps, shooting range - training mission

with atiogl.dll from 13.1 driver TDM wouldn't even start for me.

And with DarkAtena rename performance was even worse, 33fps ?!

AMD R9 280 OC

Windows 7

RAM 8GB

CPU i7 2.8Ghz

Drivers 15.3 beta

It only works for pre-R9 GPUs :(