The Dark Mod Forums

Briarwood Cathedral

buck28

Briarwood Cathedral  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun factor. Smooth Flow, ect. Versus bugs, Frustration, Boredom, framelag.

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

3. 3. Story and Text: Story, Text, Briefing. Graphic storytelling.

@Thieving Barbarian

Posted Today, 12:52 PM

Is this going to be added to the ingame downloader soon? The zippyshare site isn't working for me, the download button does nothing (on Firefox/Linux).

I don't know. Let's ask Bikerdude.

@Bikerdude

Can you answer the above question. I've had two people ask me the same thing. :ph34r:

Thanks, Buck

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

Very nice mission!

It seems that there was a bunch of custom stuff. Excellent!

Very enjoyable and creepy.

A few issues if you don't mind :

- I frobbed the ring in one of the priests rooms through the closed wardrobe doors. The one with a priest sitting on a chair nearby.

- There are 2 coins sitting on top of the hay-bed, where you drop down into the water. That would be ok, but I was actually coming from below and saw them floating in the air.

- Getting out of the well was a real pain and took me 5 minutes or longer. I went down into the well from the graden - long before I found the key to the gate - and therefor had no other choice then going up again. But even with rope arrows the last 2 meters are almost impossible to climb up.

@gnartsch

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes; it isn't easy getting out, but you can always no clip. The more times I climb out. The easier it is.LOL

@Bikerdude Thank you!

@AluminumHaste

The key to the crypts and catacombs is in the wall safe in the Bishops room. ;)

Thanks. I love the stained glass!

@AluminumHaste

You have to find the secret door to get in. HINT: It's in the passageway with the hay on the floor, at the end facing the cobweb in the hole in the wall; then to your left. Small button with a glyph on it.

@Oldjim

You read my mind. That is where I was headed, when I had to wrap it up due to time constraints. I thought there was a cutoff date, but I was wrong. :huh:

I played the mission tonight, and it turned out to be quite a larger ride than anticipated! I have to say the early impressions weren't very good - terrain that looks climbable but isn't, getting stuck on geometry, a well you can't climb out of... BUT.

Persevering was rewarded with a mission that grew better, more detailed and much more complex as it went on. It is still not detail-heavy, but does what it needs to do. There are a lot of locations with obvious care (and sometimes I mean things like rope placement in the rooms, a crematorium, stuff like that), and, even in a mission with limited scope, you get that feeling of being lost in a large, hostile place. This is the main source of the horror element, which is actually not easy to accomplish. The use of the sound effects and customisation was a particular strong point, giving a very "Bonehoard-like" feel to the underground segment. The complexity also means rewarding exploration - there is much to do and some rather interesting ways of finding loot.

One thing that was kind of strange:

The builders, for all the talk of thieves and undead and two lost brothers, seemed a bit too unaffected by their troubles. There is a limit to "Keep Calm and Carry On" - by this time, I'd expect them to set up a tough guard, close up the obvious access points, and start to assemble an expedition against the dead instead of mournfully noting how the world is getting worse and worse. :D

Anyway, for variety and ideas, this mission was nice to play, and by the time I explored most of it (probably not everything), it really grew on me. Thanks for making it! I wonder what you could accomplish in a full-length, full-detail tomb mission...

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Melan

Thank you sir. Yes, I do not know the secret of the skybox yet; but that is next on my list. Thank you for playing, and persevering. I appreciate it, along with your kind words.

In one of the Bishops readables, I did mention that the next day; after Hamn and Shamn were laid to rest, reinforcements had been called for; for a thorough sweep of the catacombs. :P And yes, you can climb out of the well. I've done it a hundred times. That's why you have so many rope arrows. ;)

Any how; I only had so much time to meet the deadline (I thought) or I would have done a few more things.

Thanks again. :)

Edited by buck28

Well I must say, Hats off to you Buck28 and to the beta testers.

This map is well thought out, well planed and very engaging once you actually get inside and into the story. I played on the hardest difficulty and managed an enjoyable 3 or so hours. The game play really stood out with the crypt and water area. Impressive.

I did get stuck twice in the crypt. Once in the floor on some debris under the stairs infront of the two skeletons in the upright coffins and once between two coffins above the throne room in the crypt and also noticed under some stairs at the bottom behind the stairs where you get out of the water either side on the supports were some minor missing textures at the bottom but nothing worth fixing unless you have the map open and can be bothered.

Absolutly loved it and hope to see your third. If this is your second then WoW.

Congats.

Edited by Tr00pertj
  • Like 1

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Tr00pertj on 06 November 2014 at 08:08 PM said:

Absolutly loved it and hope to see your third. If this is your second then WoW.

Congats

Thank you :excl: I really am glad you enjoyed it. As far as a third? I need to go to school on some techniques first. Such as the outside skybox's. :blink:

And you are right. Without quality Beta Testers like AB the maps would suffer tremendously. ;)

My copy of the mission seems to be behaving strangely. Throughout the game I see rectangular solid back boxes that don't seem to have any function and with which I cannot interact The most strange of these seems to be floating in mid-air above the horse in the courtyard. There are what appears to be two nails floating nearby. If I shoot a bonehead arrow at the box, it just goes right through and breaks on the wall behind the box. If I hit a nail, the arrow interacts with it. I am pretty sure this isn't supposed to be part of the mission.

@MVT

Never heard of anything like that before. Sorry to hear that. Something odd is going on for sure. Maybe uninstall the mission; delete the folder, then do a new download and install?

Are you using the newest version of DarkMod? :unsure:

Black floating boxes usually mean an entity could not be loaded and it is usually either an outdated version of the mod, or a corrupt file.

Updating the mod again and re-downloading the mission will probably help.

• Like 2

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Cannot get mission to complete. Playing at expert level with TDM 2.01. All objectives shown as complete except

Find Out What is Going On. I have gotten to Murius's book and read what he is trying to do, and that objective does not show as achieved. Also gassed Murius and friends. If I go to the entry/exit area, it's still not achieved, and the mission does not end.