The Dark Mod Forums

Briarwood Cathedral

buck28

Briarwood Cathedral  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun factor. Smooth Flow, ect. Versus bugs, Frustration, Boredom, framelag.

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

3. 3. Story and Text: Story, Text, Briefing. Graphic storytelling.

You definitely need to upgrade. This is a 2.02 mission. Just run tdm updater from your darkmod folder. That explains your black boxes and almost certainly why you can't compete it too. Your save games will be invalid after the upgrade, so if you have any 2.01 missions in progress you might want to finish them first.

• Like 1

Upgrading got rid of the black boxes and the floating nails, but I still cannot get the "Figure Out What is Going On objective and the mission still will not complete.

If you have started the mission with TDM v2.01, and are now at 2.02 - you will need to restart and replay the mission - savegames are usually not compatible between TDM releases. Sorry :)

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The reason the mission would not complete is that not all of the requirements had been met.

Reading Murius's book is not enough. I had simply missed

getting into the desk and cabinet in the bishop's room

as the key is hidden behind the clock. On also reading the bishop's book, the objective is completed.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished it.

The only thing I could complain about was the secret lever with the glyph.

I needed help from the forum to find it. Another readable could have helped there. But, of course, that is just showing how bad a thief I am, not checking the corners properly... In other words: fantastic mission and it got better and better!

Thanks for this mission, it was enjoyable to play and the crypt area underground was quite scary with the ambient sound effects.

The only annoying part I found was trying to climb out of the well. It was very frustrating, managed to do it once by bashing all of the controls but second time just couldn't do it, even faffing around with rope arrows. I have noticed similar problems in some other missions with wells and ladders coming up from sewers though. I did eventually noclip, but it feels a bit like cheating to resort to console commands..

Still, that's a relatively minor point. The stained glass windows were quite nice too :)

Edited by Peanut

One mistake I made and I think others do too is to get as high on the ladder as possible before trying to jump out. It actually works better and repeatably if you get down a foot or two from the top and then jump over to the edge of the well. Then there is room for the player to go "up" as the jump and not get bumped off. Its also surprising how easy you can mantle to something that seems a bit out of reach (height wise).

Actually; you get bumped off trying to jump off of the ROPE if you are too high up; because you catch the top of the well frame with your back. If you are a little lower, you can jump to the beams, and then mantle out. There are 4 beams, one on each side to jump to. Then a normal mantle out of the well. (These can easily be seen with your lantern on. ;)

Lux, on November 20th at 0512 AM said:

Its also surprising how easy you can mantle to something that seems a bit out of reach (height wise).

The mantleing part is something that is automatic? I don't know if the mapper can change that or not? I can't anyway. :unsure:

Edited by buck28

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

Here is my quick review with spoilers:

Finished this on difficult. Impressive work for your second FM! Congratulations!

Query: why this mission is not listed in the wiki?

THE GOOD:

+Boiler room.

+Catacombs are cool, although a little confusing to navigate.

+The skeleton with head on fire is awesome!

+Readables and story are very good.

+Some cleverly hidden loot and items.

THE BAD:

-Released prisoners do not escape.

-I cannot kill spiders with the sword. This is not the first FM this happened, though.

-The projected image inside the cathedral windows, although cool, does not make sense to some of the windows and looks weird.

-Exterior is a little too simple.

Bug report:

Here are the bugs that I found, with description on the image when necessary:

https://drive.google...fYzQ&authuser=0

Thanks!

Edited by Jon Irenicus

Thank you. :)

Don't know why it isn't listed in the wiki? Isit supposed to be? Do you mean the mission downloads? I thought it was.

Can't open your .rar files.

Prisoners(don't want them to escape)

Spiders(are for looks only) be nice to them

Windows(whatever) just ignore if you don't like.

Simple exterior(Yes it is-This was a speed build-remember.)

Edited by buck28

Don't know why it isn't listed in the wiki? Isit supposed to be? Do you mean the mission downloads? I thought it was.

Well, being listed in the wiki would help your FM get more exposition. ^^

No, I mean this: http://wiki.thedarkm...or_The_Dark_Mod

Can't open your .rar files.

Try it now! I asked my friend to test the link and he was able to download it.

Spiders(are for looks only) be nice to them

Well, that's hard for me, because I don't really like them. xD

Simple exterior(Yes it is-This was a speed build-remember.)

Oops! I forgot about that. Sorry.

Well; I never have understood that link, because it is not official and most of the links are broken. The one that counts is the official one. ;)

Thank you for playing, and your comments :excl:

I really appreciate it.... :)

• Like 1

Very enjoyable , thank you!

Congratulations on the release and I'm sorry I'm so behind in getting to play it. It was most enjoyable.

While the outside wasn't the prettiest the overall playability more than made up for it. I, at first thought it was a quick, small mission but it turned out to be quite large - very impressive :) .

I found it flowed very well, with a little bit of loot here and there left like a trail of bread crumbs to take you deeper and deeper. I managed to find it all but had a horrible stealth score. LOL!

There was one switch, though, in the forge room that had me stymied for a while. When you frobbed it there would be a noise like something was opening and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what it was for; as I couldn't find anything that was opening or closing, turning off or on I left it and assumed it was just for effects.

Thanks for all your hard work. Will vote now and hope I'm not to late for the contest.

@Thiefette

Thanks for your kind words and vote. Glad you had fun.

Yeah, I put a noise on that switch to make a start sound (so it did something) but not enough to actually start the forge. If I wanted a full start up, would have added another function, like a key.

Sorry you wasted time there. :P

Yeah, I put a noise on that switch to make a start sound (so it did something) but not enough to actually start the forge. If I wanted a full start up, would have added another function, like a key.

Sorry you wasted time there. :P

Good to know, I was wondering if that switch had any real purpose.

A bit stuck on this one. I've got all the objectives, and could end the mission, but it seems kind of unfinished if I do.

There are two unpickable doors in the catacombs that I can't open. None of my keys work.

I can't get into the Bishop's desk.

There's an area just off the crypt - passed the two lit candles, passed the coffin that a skeleton rises from (scared the daylights out of me, btw. lol), you sort of have to work your way under the stairs, over some boards and through a hole in the wall, that leads to a tunnel type area. I can get through the first two sections - but on the third, the top of the arch sort of slants and I can't get passed it. I can see a rat at the end, but can't get to it.

For bugs: There is one room where the floor is supposed to drop away. There's a small purse and a rat on top of it. Well, the door sprang. . .a short ways. . .the rat's still stuck in the middle. . .lol Just sort of hanging there looking confused. The player doesn't fall through, and can't squish through, so has to mantle back out. (Did try killing the rat, but my sword just went right through it.)

I read there's a pagan area? I can't find that either! Or maybe thats in one of the places I can't get to. : P