The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.0.1 pre-release test

Here's a new pre-release build. In a few days I'm planning to push out 2.0.1 anyway, so if a couple of folks could give this a quick sanity check, that would be great.

Download Windows x64 build here:

Installer: http://ftp.thedarkmod.com/darkradiant/darkradiant-2.0.1pre9-x64.exe

ZIP: http://ftp.thedarkmod.com/darkradiant/darkradiant-2.0.1pre9.x64.7z

This is a stabilisation/bugfix release, here's what's been changed over 2.0.0:

- Linux fixes for crashes at shutdown

- DarkRadiant doesn't react when clicking around rather fast (#3887)

- TreeView can sometimes hold bad selection references (#3880)

- SplitPane window layout crashes DR at exit (#3875)

- Crash at shutdown in TextureBrowser::destroyWindow() (#3874)

- Rendering performance improvements for patches (#3890)

- Some performance improvements when selecting stuff with modifiers held

- Minor performance improvements when drawing camera and XY views.

- Fixed horizontal splitpane constantly moving to the right with each application run

- Failure to render textures on models in dr/renderer_test.map (materials using _white as map)

- Precautions in attempt to fix ModelSelector crashing after reloading models and/or declarations.

Changes during the pre-release test phase:

- Fixed startup arguments which were broken in the pre1 build

- Fixed crash at shutdown prevalent in the pre2 builds

- Fixed crash at shutdown when leaving a texture spawnarg selected in EntityInspector

- Increased toolbar item padding

- Adjusted SurfaceInspector layout

- Adjusted LayerControlDialog layout

- LayerControlDialog state is saved on DR exit

- Prefab Selector showing non-prefab files, plus attempts to open folders

- SkinChooser needs a moveable divider

- Linux fixes

- Selecting "Choose Sound..." in Entity Inspector doesn't select the shader in the tree.

- Some windows are inresponsive to mousewheel events (when not in focus)

- Colour picker has a text box next to it now.

- Colourized playback/stop button images.

- Better minimize behaviour for SurfaceInspector, LightInspector, etc.

- Fixed #3851: backslashes in sound paths were ignored by the sound shader parser

- Added default filter to exclude func_statics

- SurfaceInspector's fit entry boxes have 2 digits by default now

- Improved global shortcut handling (pre8)

- Fixed EntityInspector assertion failure on Linux

- Fixed: SurfaceInspector controls will continue firing their events when moving the mouse away

- More precise keyboard shortcut handling for wxDataViewMainWindow (allow underscores)

As always, Windows users neet to have the VC++ 2013 redistributable installed.

Thank you!

Edited by greebo

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weirdness. I can reproduce the shortcut issue (this seems to be due to the change the application is defined in main.cpp), but the rest of the app works when I launch DarkRadiant.exe on a different machine.

Can you try to download this 7z and extract it somewhere? It contains the same DR 2.0.1pre1-build as above, just in portable form without installer: http://ftp.thedarkmod.com/darkradiant/darkradiant-2.0.1pre1.x64.7z

Wait, I just re-read your post, you're saying it's crashing on shutdown - can you tell me which map you've been loading and what FM path setup you have? I can't reproduce the shutdown crash just by loading a small test map, so I probably need more than that to make it crash.

can you tell me which map you've been loading and what FM path setup you have? I can't reproduce the shutdown crash just by loading a small test map, so I probably need more than that to make it crash.
Tried 7zip one - I get crash on quit too. No map loaded

Same.

But in addition, with the shortcut isseu I then started getting this error -

post-496-0-00116300-1414856303_thumb.jpg

I've uploaded a new pre2 build which fixes the startup arguments: biker, could you try again?

Didn't get the crash, so I couldn't fix it. There must be something I'm missing on my end. Maybe one of you two could record a crashdump of the application in the task manager? Let it crash, leave the error message open and switch to Task Manager, then right-click the DarkRadiant.exe process and select "Create dump file". This file needs to be compressed and uploaded somewhere, maybe I can attach the debugger to that.

Ah sorry, I don't have the pdbs for the pre1 release anymore - I can't debug that unfortunately. I'll go with biker's dump file in the meantime, but thanks anyway for uploading.

I have a pre2 build 7zipped for you if you prefer that: http://ftp.thedarkmod.com/darkradiant/darkradiant-2.0.1pre2.x64.7z

Hm, I can see where the crash is happening (it's pretty much at the end of the application lifetime when wxWidgets is cleaning up pending objects), but I can't figure out the reason.

biker: Can you post a screenshot of your DarkRadiant setup just before you hit Exit? I'd like to see the layout and which windows are visible by the time the application is shut down.

Your dump shows the crash on the exact same spot. I can't figure out why the wxFrame cleanup is crashing in the first place since the object's memory seems to be intact.

Right now, I can only add more info to the wxFrame constructors to give them more descriptive names (there are only 2 orphan wxFrames plus the main top level frame in the pending objects list waiting for cleanup). The only other workaround I can think of is to disable the IsLastBeforeExit() method entirely which appears to be an option, this should avoid that code path.

Biker: Can you post a screenshot of your DarkRadiant setup just before you hit Exit?

I would also like to show you the differences between 1.8.1 and 2.0.1 with regard to the child windows -

• Under 201 the spacing between the texture box much larger, I run 1680*1080 and the child window text-box spacing under 201 is too large for me.
  • 201 doesn't remember the locations of the child windows.
  • Under 201 if the layers window is selected the application as a whole isnt selected like it is under 181.
  • Under 201 the text in the layers window doesn't 'auto-center' as you reduce the size of the window, like it does under 181.
  • The tool bars and their icons are smaller compared to 181, also the windows theme is missing from said tool bars - both of which make the toolbar icons hard to see (for me atleast)

I've been saying the above since version 2.0 and I appreciate only you and Orbs are working on this, but having gotten used to 181 I would really like and appreciate having 2.x behae and look as much like 181 as is humanly possible.

post-496-0-86722900-1414863500_thumb.jpg

post-496-0-17788200-1414863550_thumb.jpg

And lastly I'm now getting a slightly different CTD error with pre2 -

post-496-0-03932000-1414864122_thumb.jpg

I think I might have fixed the crash at shutdown. I haven't looked at the other things yet. The crash was most likely due to wxWidgets trying to access objects which have been allocated in one of DR's modules, but the modules have already been unloaded at the point in question.

New release up for grabs in the first post.

I would also like to show you the differences between 1.8.1 and 2.0.1 with regard to the child windows -

I've been saying the above since version 2.0 and I appreciate only you and Orbs are working on this, but having gotten used to 181 I would really like and appreciate having 2.x behae and look as much like 181 as is humanly possible.

Yes, I've been hearing you, but at this point I can't work on this level of cosmetic changes. The UI framework is now using native controls and some things like the toolbar will look like any other application's toolbar using the Windows 8.1 native theme. GTK+ used its own renderer, I definitely don't want to have this back.

We can talk about functional defects and/or changes that seriously affect your workflow, but please don't expect me to go hunting for pixels. If a control spacing is extraordinarily large in comparison to 1.8.x I can look into it, but I don't want to spend my time trying to make this looking exactly like it was in GTK+. I don't want to sound ungrateful, I appreciate your constant readiness for testing and feedback.

Yeah, I don't think spacing or whatever else needs to match 1.8.1. It just needs to be functional and not obviously bugged :)

Another exit crash in pre3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwE6dxM0O2PsZFpVblhTbE9QRUU/view?usp=sharing

I loaded map, tested lighting preview, placed model, tried animation viewer, light editing dialog, then closed DR and got a crash.

Edited by motorsep

We can talk about functional defects and/or changes that seriously affect your workflow. If a control spacing is extraordinarily large in comparison to 1.8.x I can look into it.

Grand, thanks Greebo.

Yeah, I don't think spacing or whatever else needs to match 1.8.1. It just needs to be functional and not obviously bugged.

You say that, but if the spacing is large enough that you can't see parts or icons that are smaller so that they are hard to see then it is an issue. But Greebo has said, when he gets the time he will have a look into it.

I loaded map, tested lighting preview, placed model, tried animation viewer, light editing dialog, then closed DR and got a crash.

I'll wait for pre4.

But when loading a map with custom DR shortcut DR isnt seeing the path correctly as all the resources are missing -

Are you sure you haven't been missing setting the fs_game_base argument? It should point to "darkmod", shouldn't it?

I have some questions about these:

Under 201 the spacing between the texture box much larger, I run 1680*1080 and the child window text-box spacing under 201 is too large for me.

By "texture box" you are referring to the "Surface Inpsector", right? I can see that the vertical spacing between the lines in the Surface Inspector is larger in 2.0.0. edit: I improved the layout a bit, committed to source.

201 doesn't remember the locations of the child windows.

I really can't reproduce this, it does work as intended here. Can you record some steps or even a video showing what you mean? On my end, when I toggle the Surface Inspector, it comes up where it was before.

Under 201 if the layers window is selected the application as a whole isnt selected like it is under 181.

Can you clarify? I tried to do this, but clicking on the task bar brings the entire DR window family to the foreground, not just the Layers window.

Under 201 the text in the layers window doesn't 'auto-center' as you reduce the size of the window, like it does under 181.

Need clarification here as well. The text (you mean the layer names, don't you?) is always centered when I resize the layers dialog.

The tool bars and their icons are smaller compared to 181, also the windows theme is missing from said tool bars - both of which make the toolbar icons hard to see (for me atleast)

This one I could fix, the buttons are now the same size as in 1.8.x.

Are you sure you haven't been missing setting the fs_game_base argument?

Doh, yes some of my shortcuts were missing that arg. But for some reason DR-181 still worked. [FIXED]

• I really can't reproduce this, on my end, when I toggle the Surface Inspector, it comes up where it was before.
  • Can you clarify? I tried to do this, but clicking on the task bar brings the entire DR window family to the foreground, not just the Layers window.
  • The text (you mean the layer names, don't you?) is always centered when I resize the layers dialog.

• It only effect the layers & arbtrary transform windows, DR isnt remembering thier size or location. In my case I have them and the surfsace inspector opening on a second monitor.
  • If I click on the 'Layers window', the main application window becomes de-selected. If I want to do 'anything' in the main DR window, or the transform & surface-inspe. windows I have to click on the main DR window.
  • Yes, but whats happening under 201 is that I can't reduce the size of the layers window to the same size (horizontialy) as I could under 181. But I've just realised that is because you have moved the 'new layer' button so its inline with the other buttons, so if you cant make it so the layers window is any more shrinkable I understand.
  • And with rgeard to the layers window I have just noticed that there is a bigger gap between the last layer and the 'new', 'show all' & 'hide all' buttons.

Tried it, no crashes so far. Now I need to actually map with it

Same here.

I really can't reproduce this, it does work as intended here. Can you record some steps or even a video showing what you mean? On my end, when I toggle the Surface Inspector, it comes up where it was before.

Seems like only happens to the Layers window. Here is the video:

Arbitrary Transformations window remains where I leave it.

Edited by motorsep

Thanks for the video, this is what I needed to see - the difference to my repro attempts is that you're leaving the layer dialog open when closing DR, so you never hit the X on the layers dialog itself during the entire session (which would trigger a state save).

I've fixed that in src, should be saved now regardless.

It only effect the layers & arbtrary transform windows, DR isnt remembering thier size or location. In my case I have them and the surfsace inspector opening on a second monitor.

Are there any problems with multiple monitors? I only have one screen here on my machine, so I can't really test that.