The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.0.1 pre-release test

I'm getting a reproducible error, whenever I enter the entity dialogue (the one under the general 3d view) even if I click on a brush (the worldspawn entity) or any other entity, there is an error display that says the following:

Wrong type, required: wxIcon but: wxBitmap

maybe one of the icons besides of the spawnarg is defined as wxBitmap when it seems it shouldn't?

Biel Bestué de Luna - Github

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Can't reproduce that at all. I create a brush, hit Ctrl-Shift-LMB to select a face of that brush in the camera view, hit ESC - it's unselected.
  2. Please add a tracker entry, something like "Need option to browse prefabs from non-FM paths" or along those lines.
  3. Non-pfb files are now hidden, and folders don't issue that warning anymore. The popup will still occur if a prefab is corrupt or unrecognised.
  4. This is the control that Windows provides. Maybe there is a custom colour picker control available somewhere for use in wxWidgets, otherwise we're stuck with this.
  5. I can do that. I select a brush and drag it around. When the mouse reaches the border of the view it starts scrolling.
  6. Which button are you talking about specifically? The play button was green in 1.8.1 (at all times), and the one in 2.0.0 is gray.

I will make a video.
  1. Ok, I have narrowed down the issue - if you click into the surface inspector and then make an adjustment, pressing escape no longer works, you have to click on the main DR window and then escape works.
  2. Done #3901
  3. very much appreciated.
  4. I really hope you can insert another value box, or at the very least change the 'luminance' box.
  5. I will delete re-create my prefs andsee how I go.
  6. Apologies, it was the animation stop button that would turn red when animations are playing.

Can I make a feature request? Can we add the hide/show filter for func_static please as I have to manually ad it everytime I install i never version of DR or the prefs become corrupt.

Cant scroll:

http://youtu.be/T3VFbk4Eqmg

Cant press escape and weird minimise issue:

http://youtu.be/RdPkfL1qV00

I've also experienced the "esc" error!

it seems to be something with the windows where you can text-search, because with the console panel open you can select with the mouse and then deselect with "esc" with no hassle, but with the entity panel or the materials panel since you seem to be able to search by typing characters, I guess "esc" cancels that search instead of deselecting. so, if you're not searching don'0t cancel search but de-select and vice-versa.

Ok, I have narrowed down the issue - if you click into the surface inspector and then make an adjustment, pressing escape no longer works, you have to click on the main DR window and then escape works.

Same thing as usual, it's the shortcut handling.

I really hope you can insert another value box, or at the very least change the 'luminance' box.

I can't change that dialog. But I set an option now to display the colour's name next to the picker button in the EntityInspector. One can copy & paste stuff from there, but then again, one can do that with the _color spawnarg values itself just as fine.

Apologies, it was the animation stop button that would turn red when animations are playing.

I added some colour.

Can I make a feature request? Can we add the hide/show filter for func_static please as I have to manually ad it everytime I install i never version of DR or the prefs become corrupt.

It's there now.

Cant scroll:

Still can't get that one. I tried this multiple times now, moving the mouse towards the edge just triggers scrolling as usual. Does anybody else have that?

Cant press escape and weird minimise issue:

Got that one fixed, I think. There's a special flag on windows that can be used to mark them as "tool" windows. Not sure if it does anything in the GTK port, but in Windows this seems to have better minimize behaviour.

I've also experienced the "esc" error!

it seems to be something with the windows where you can text-search, because with the console panel open you can select with the mouse and then deselect with "esc" with no hassle, but with the entity panel or the materials panel since you seem to be able to search by typing characters, I guess "esc" cancels that search instead of deselecting. so, if you're not searching don'0t cancel search but de-select and vice-versa.

It's not just the treeviews, it's a general problem with how DarkRadiant currently handles the shortcuts. The code design is still from the GTK times, in wxWidgets there is a better option to define global hooks on key events, but this has to be written and thoroughly tested first. It probably won't make it into 2.0.1.

Can't compile the current code at: Codereader's DarkRadiant.

@Greebo It's the same code you posted in the first post, isn't it?

I get the following error:

(...)
 CXX	  render/darkradiant-View.o
 CXX	  render/debug/darkradiant-SpacePartitionRenderer.o
 CXX	  ui/entitychooser/darkradiant-EntityClassChooser.o
In file included from ui/entitychooser/EntityClassChooser.cpp:18:0:
../libs/debugging/ScopedDebugTimer.h:51:9: warning: ‘double {anonymous}::operator-(const timeval&, const timeval&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 double operator-(const timeval& l, const timeval& r) {
	 ^
 CXX	  ui/entitychooser/darkradiant-EntityClassTreePopulator.o
 CXX	  ui/prefabselector/darkradiant-PrefabPopulator.o
ui/prefabselector/PrefabPopulator.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void* ui::PrefabPopulator::Entry()’:
ui/prefabselector/PrefabPopulator.cpp:56:5: error: ‘FileTypePatterns’ was not declared in this scope
 FileTypePatterns patterns = GlobalFiletypes().getPatternsForType("prefab");
 ^
ui/prefabselector/PrefabPopulator.cpp:60:10: error: ‘patterns’ was not declared in this scope
 if (!patterns.empty())
	  ^
Makefile:2922: recipe for target 'ui/prefabselector/darkradiant-PrefabPopulator.o' failed
make[2]: *** [ui/prefabselector/darkradiant-PrefabPopulator.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/share/d3bfg/src/DarkRadiant/radiant'
Makefile:742: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/share/d3bfg/src/DarkRadiant'
Makefile:482: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Edited by 7318

Found a few more bugs (I am using pre7)

• Scrolling in the layers windows is noticably slower than 181
  • In the model inspector, the list of items isnt alphabetical - see below. The entity inspector suffers from the same thing, but clicking on the classname bar fixes it .
  • With a map loaded, the child windows (layers, arbitrary transform and surface inspector) stay visable for for 4-5 seconds after closing DR. If you load DR without a map and close it, the windows disappear/close at the same time.
  • With a map loaded, there is a slight delay in the properties in the entity inspector appearing when clicking from one entity to another. Im not sure but I think this delay gets worse the longer DR is open for.
  • When you clock on any of the layers in the layers inspector, it automatically scrolls to the bottom which is a tad irksome

post-496-0-41615500-1415486436_thumb.jpg

I can't change that dialog. But I set an option now to display the colour's name next to the picker button in the EntityInspector.

Cant find it, got a screenshot?

Can I make another inclusion request, can we add the following command scripts to the app

Done.

Can't compile the current code at: Codereader's DarkRadiant.

I'm pretty sure that's fixed now, the incllude statement was missing. Does it work?

Scrolling in the layers windows is noticably slower than 181

What is it doing? Does it lag? Or is the vertical scroll rate lower than before?

In the model inspector, the list of items isnt alphabetical - see below. The entity inspector suffers from the same thing, but clicking on the classname bar fixes it .

edit: Interesting - I don't get that behaviour, my tree is sorted. There is actual code in there sorting the nodes folders-first. Did you do anything in between the first model selector startup and this screenshot? Reload models or anything?

With a map loaded, the child windows (layers, arbitrary transform and surface inspector) stay visable for for 4-5 seconds after closing DR. If you load DR without a map and close it, the windows disappear/close at the same time.

The loaded map and its resources need to be released in memory, that's taking a bit of time, so this is to be expected. As long as it doesn't crash...

With a map loaded, there is a slight delay in the properties in the entity inspector appearing when clicking from one entity to another. Im not sure but I think this delay gets worse the longer DR is open for.

It's possible that having a large map loaded slows things down. If you have exact repro conditions for me (map + steps) that can be repeated many times in a row, then I can try to run it through the profiler.

When you clock on any of the layers in the layers inspector, it automatically scrolls to the bottom which is a tad irksome

Can't repro this. Nothing is scrolling on its own when I click anything in the layers dialog, even with many layers and a verical scrollbar shown there.

Cant find it, got a screenshot?

Create a light (RMB in the xy view), add a _color spawnarg and select that spawnarg, then you should see it at the bottom of the EntityInspector.

1. What is it doing? Does it lag? Or is the vertical scroll rate lower than before?
  2. The loaded map and its resources need to be released in memory, that's taking a bit of time, so this is to be expected. As long as it doesn't crash...
  3. It's possible that having a large map loaded slows things down. If you have exact repro conditions for me (map + steps) that can be repeated many times in a row, then I can try to run it through the profiler.
  4. Can't repro this. Nothing is scrolling on its own when I click anything in the layers dialog, even with many layers and a verical scrollbar shown there.
  5. Create a light (RMB in the xy view), add a _color spawnarg and select that spawnarg, then you should see it at the bottom of the EntityInspector.

1. slower than before, increasing the page scrolling in windows had no effect.
  2. Fair enough, but why are the child windows being displayed after the main window has closed..?
  3. I will make a video tomoz.
  4. Will double check and make a video if need be.
  5. The issue with that is light when created don't have the _colour by default, it would mean having to add the _colour to every light thats created.

slower than before, increasing the page scrolling in windows had no effect.

I increased the Layers dialog scrolling rate.

Fair enough, but why are the child windows being displayed after the main window has closed..?

It's not by design, no particular reason. They just happen to be hidden in this order.

The issue with that is light when created don't have the _colour by default, it would mean having to add the _colour to every light thats created.

Not sure I get it. Of course you need to add the _color spawnarg to a light if you want to edit its colour - or are you talking about a different workflow?

Not sure I get it. Of course you need to add the _color spawnarg to a light if you want to edit its colour - or are you talking about a different workflow?

I will make a video so you can see what I mean.

Ok, I got around to implement the global shortcut handler like discussed earlier. There's a new build up for testing in a minute in the first post, please check it out.

Downloading.

I'm no longer having troubles with the 'esc' key! :rolleyes:

but Is till get this whenever the entity panel under the 3d view has to be updated:

18:19:22: Wrong type, required: wxIcon but: wxBitmap

which renders it unusable, so I can't change any spawnarg of any entity from that panel

the console also keeps still spewing the same message:

_xgeWireToEvent: Unknown extension 148, this should never happen.

and also the 3D view renders still incorrectly

Edited by 7318

Here is a video of the entity selection issue and the _colour issue, give a minutes as I just uploaded it -

Regarding the map loading speed, I must say your system is very fast already. Six seconds for loading all the textures is really really quick - you're downloading hundreds of MBs of textures to the graphics card.

Re: the EntityInspector not displaying the spawnargs right away. I know where this is coming from - it can happen sometimes, because I changed the EntityInspector update code from "do it immediately" to "do it next time the application is idle" - according to my profiler this cut down ~16% of the CPU time needed for the selection updates, so DR becomes a bit more responsive. (This affects the "hit ESC and then select this, this, this, this and this" type of workflow or the "Hit Ctrl-Shift-LMB a lot of times in a row to select something in the camera depths" which is usually happening a lot of times when mapping - this is more responsive now. The downside is that the EntityInspector sometimes needs a tad of mouse movement to trigger the property display - if it's too annoying I can change it back to the slower code.

The _color spawnarg is missing on regular lights because it's not defined in the corresponding entityDef in the .def files. A light without the _color spawnarg defaults to the settings defined in the C++ code, which is 1 1 1 (white). If you need to add the _color spawnarg to a regular light, you can right-click in the EntityInspector and you'll find it in the first group of spawnargs to add - I assume you knew that already?

If the _color spawnarg needs to be there for standard light entities, the best way would be to add it to the entityDef in the .def files, which would have to be done in TDM.

Does this help or did I get something wrong?

1. Regarding the map loading speed, I must say your system is very fast already. Six seconds for loading all the textures is really really quick - you're downloading hundreds of MBs of textures to the graphics card.
  2. Re: the EntityInspector not displaying the spawnargs right away. I know where this is coming from - it can happen sometimes, because I changed the EntityInspector update code from "do it immediately" to "do it next time the application is idle" - according to my profiler this cut down ~16% of the CPU time needed for the selection updates, so DR becomes a bit more responsive. (This affects the "hit ESC and then select this, this, this, this and this" type of workflow or the "Hit Ctrl-Shift-LMB a lot of times in a row to select something in the camera depths" which is usually happening a lot of times when mapping - this is more responsive now. The downside is that the EntityInspector sometimes needs a tad of mouse movement to trigger the property display - if it's too annoying I can change it back to the slower code.
  3. The _color spawnarg is missing on regular lights because it's not defined in the corresponding entityDef in the .def files. A light without the _color spawnarg defaults to the settings defined in the C++ code, which is 1 1 1 (white). If you need to add the _color spawnarg to a regular light, you can right-click in the EntityInspector and you'll find it in the first group of spawnargs to add - I assume you knew that already?
  4. If the _color spawnarg needs to be there for standard light entities, the best way would be to add it to the entityDef in the .def files, which would have to be done in TDM.

1. Under 181 its a few faster still, would it be possible future version to get the speed back to 181 levels..?
  2. Let me have a play with it a while longer and see how I get on
  3. I never needed to know, because I could always access the light colour from the light inspector in 181, would it be possible to add this back in a later version of DR..?
  4. grand, Ill go have a look at the def file on the SVN. In the meantime can you unhide that arg in DR so its always shown by default?

Recorded some more bug videos for you -

Layers window scroll bug -

http://youtu.be/168d4qH2jsc

Cant drag-scroll bug -

http://youtu.be/h5GZNpN7hOY

Do you think you'll manage to put the prefabs custome path feature in for this version..?

whenever the entity panel under the 3d view has to be updated:
 18:19:22: Wrong type, required: wxIcon but: wxBitmap 

which renders it unusable, so I can't change any spawnarg of any entity from that panel the console also keeps still spewing the same message:

and also the 3D view renders still incorrectly

I think I've found the source of this problem. I'll try to get a fix into my repo soon. edit: done.

great! now the entity panel works! :rolleyes:^_^

tough I still get the spewing of:

I love how DR no longer forces you to a specific size of their windows as it used to! :laugh:

Edited by 7318