The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Exhumed by Kyyrma and Airship Ballet (2014/11/04)

Airship Ballet

Poll: Exhumed  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Narrative

Just finished your mission, and it was great. :D

I loved the critter at the end. Wow. :P I also love the rope arrow and climbing. Thanks for a spooky fun time.

Edited by buck28
  • Like 1

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

I got this error when I tried to launch mission got all the way to buying weapons but then failed?

Joint 'Head' not found for attachment position 'velvetcap_1' on entity 'idAFAttachment_atdm:ai_head_base_900'

I downloaded via in game downloader will try other link and report back??

All credit on that goes to Kevin MacLeod, whose royalty free music collection I would suggest to other mappers as well.

Also, might you be implying you found a certain super spooky secret? B)

Maayyyyybeeee? (Yes! Loved it!). Does Mr MacLeod do lots of that sort of music? The slow semi-spooky decrepit castle at midnight with candles kinda music that you'd think Black Metal was all about until you actually listened to it?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Maayyyyybeeee? (Yes! Loved it!). Does Mr MacLeod do lots of that sort of music? The slow semi-spooky decrepit castle at midnight with candles kinda music that you'd think Black Metal was all about until you actually listened to it?

Good to know someone found it! MacLeod pretty much just makes music, tons of it. Every genre and style imaginable.

Just finished your mission, and it was great. :D

I loved the critter at the end. Wow. :P I also love the rope arrow and climbing. Thanks for a spooky fun time.

Thanks! I'm still playing through your mission, very neat stuff!

Great mission enjoyed it very much! :rolleyes:

The vibration when u get near the creature was weird though?

I expected the vibrations might divide opinion :P The idea was to make encountering him as scary and disorienting as possible, and one of the "cheap" ways to do it was the vibration. I think the effect works well if the player immediately runs out from the building, but if you stay and linger it can get tiresome.

Proper scary one this was. One glitchy thing though:

I got killed by the haunt the first time around, so I reloaded and figured I'd leave using the bell tower: that way the haunt would never get me. However, that got the haunt to spawn up on the stairs, which blocked my exit as the front door was still locked. He then went into the little hallway to the belltower, and I couldn't get past him. I tried all sorts of things, but couldn't get past him so I ended up reloading an earlier save, triggering the door spawn, and then just sprinting up the bell tower.

• Like 1

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Proper scary one this was. One glitchy thing though:

I got killed by the haunt the first time around, so I reloaded and figured I'd leave using the bell tower: that way the haunt would never get me. However, that got the haunt to spawn up on the stairs, which blocked my exit as the front door was still locked. He then went into the little hallway to the belltower, and I couldn't get past him. I tried all sorts of things, but couldn't get past him so I ended up reloading an earlier save, triggering the door spawn, and then just sprinting up the bell tower.

Glad to hear it!

There was still one escape route left, although not quite as obvious. You can climb through the window in the stairs. It can also be used to enter the church with the help of a rope arrow.

Congrats Kyyrma, AB and to the beta testers.

Very Holloweeny, Scary too.

Had me on the edge of my seat for a few minutes. Thats the only problem, It's too short but for two weeks it's bloody awesome.

The gate out the front looks out of place with the walls so short. Needs maybe some spiked fencing to bring up the hight and also still let the desolate views of the surrounding snow plains in.

Edited by Tr00pertj
  • Like 1

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

The gate out the front looks out of place with the walls so short. Needs maybe some spiked fencing to bring up the hight and also still let the desolate views of the surrounding snow plains in.

I originally made the gate after I'd made the wall and before it was distorted to make it more realistic (see the making of gif under screenshots). The wall was way taller and had a metal fence on top. Shortly after the wall ended up lower and was accommodated by Kyyrma's awesome skybox, but the gate stayed the same because by then I was off doing other stuff. I didn't think it looked janky enough to warrant stopping the much more time-consuming jobs to change it.

I got the same or similar error:

Joint 'Head' not found for attachment position

'velvistcap_1' on entity

'idAFAtchment_atdm:ai_head_base_895'

Things star normally with the pregame text followed by "buy equipment". The game seems to load and the immediately produces the error (displayed on a DM text box). I tried deleting the "exhumed" folder and re-downloading with the same result.

I got the same or similar error:

Joint 'Head' not found for attachment position

'velvistcap_1' on entity

'idAFAtchment_atdm:ai_head_base_895'

Things star normally with the pregame text followed by "buy equipment". The game seems to load and the immediately produces the error (displayed on a DM text box). I tried deleting the "exhumed" folder and re-downloading with the same result.

Did you try updating your installation of Dark Mod? You can use tdm_update.exe in the darkmod folder to update to the latest version (currently 2.02)

Nice little FM, enjoyed it.

Bugs:

1. The looter inside the church, that went up the stairs got stuck there after he tried to return to the first floor and just ran in circles in the staircase.

2. All traps trigger way to slow, didn´t get hit by any of them.

3. The undead, that enters the floor to the ladder in the tower stays in there and blocks the path.

Annoying thing:

Screen shaking was way to much, for a short time effect it would have been fine, but it keeps going, sometimes turns off and starts again, not scary after the first moment, only annoying :/

Other than that, great mission and even more impressive considering the short amount of time you had available.

Edited by Cookie
  • Like 2

Nice little FM, enjoyed it.

Bugs:

1. The looter inside the church, that went up the stairs got stuck there after he tried to return to the first floor and just ran in circles in the staircase. Derp.

2. All traps trigger way to slow, didn´t get hit by any of them. If they didn't give you a chance to evade them, this would be under your list of annoying things instead.

3. The undead, that enters the floor to the ladder in the tower stays in there and blocks the path. There's more than one way out, though I don't imagine he's supposed to do that..

Annoying thing:

Screen shaking was way to much, for a short time effect it would have been fine, but it keeps going, sometimes turns off and starts again, not scary after the first moment, only annoying :/ The whole idea was for it to be disorienting, it's not just for effect.

@Cookie

The pathfinding for the creature upstairs is somehow wonky. I'm not sure what influences it, but sometimes he simply walks to the hallway and stops there completely against his assigned path. We only had limited time to do bugfixing (due to the Halloween contest) so eventually we just had to push it out of the door and hope not too many people run into that bug.

Regarding the sound / screen shaking, it's intensity correlates with your distance to the creature. In hindsight the rumble effect could have been killed after a certain period of time, but I belive this is the first time it was used to create an unsettling effect on a character. Hopefully future mappers will learn from our attempt! :P

Just finished this up and enjoyed it a lot, nice job you two!

The atmosphere was creepy and quiet and the detailed work was really really good. A few small touches that kind of itched at you every now and then.

Like coming down from the belltower (I entered the main building through the roof) and hearing the creaking shutter which drew my attention to the window. The single drip in the crypt near the alter plopping as it hit the floor. Really gave the player that isolated and alone feeling along with the vast snowlands around the perimeter walls.

A lot of interesting well done patch work outside. The exterior of the building beckoned you to come in and after finding the tall baron trees on the corners, I figured I'd try the roof which paid off (love that) and the belfry entrance was nicely executed. Looked properly ransacked/shambly/broken down. You guys had a nice environmental mood all through the FM which was a treat.

I luckily avoided the pits in the crypt after coming down the stairs and hugging the wall to the left to have a peek around the corner. The first trap opened and I was much more cautious after that, but it made me feel all sneeky and smart so I really enjoyed that part. I actually avoided (narrowly) all the insta deaths except the one at the end trying to leave through the main entrance in a mad dash.

Really neat use of the screen shake effect. Really made me jump just as I hit the front doors! :)

I liked the tombstone easter egg. It was funny but not really funny? (adding humor to a horror mission kind of takes the player out of the experience if only for a second) Maybe seemed a little out of place. I did laugh a little though.

I'm not sure if it was a default night sky or not but the blinking/twinkling on the stars really needs slowed down. Its distracting, almost manic, and also hard to ignore.

Also, the music while you're out in the yard is a little too loud. We don't have a separate volume slider for music so turning that down means the SFX are also toned down which I didn't want. Just seemed a bit unbalanced.

A few places with some zfighting which were distracting but considering there were only two of you and the time constraints its easy to overlook.

I think it was an excellent use of suspense but I think there was just too much suspense and not enough of anything actually "playing out" other than what I thought might happen after reading the readables. Then something does happen at the very end and its over in like ten or fifteen seconds when you figure out you can't go out the doors and there's that open window in the stair well. I was honestly hoping for a little more but I wasn't dissappointed at all.

I think you guys did an amazing job in the time alotted.

• Like 1

Thanks Lux for taking the time to give all that feedback, much appreciated! A few points:

I liked the tombstone easter egg. It was funny but not really funny? (adding humor to a horror mission kind of takes the player out of the experience if only for a second) Maybe seemed a little out of place. I did laugh a little though.

"Funny but not really funny" puts it perfectly. We knew it would detract from the horror atmosphere, but I'm a sucker for easter eggs... and it's something we joked about right from the beginning. You did light the candle on the tombstone, right? If you didn't, you definitely should go back and do it :P

I'm not sure if it was a default night sky or not but the blinking/twinkling on the stars really needs slowed down. Its distracting, almost manic, and also hard to ignore.

That one is default. Maybe it should be pointed out in one of the threads about basic TDM materials.

Also, the music while you're out in the yard is a little too loud. We don't have a separate volume slider for music so turning that down means the SFX are also toned down which I didn't want. Just seemed a bit unbalanced.

This is one thing that I have always struggled to get right. Setting default levels of sounds is almost as much of a pain as setting the levels of ambient light, because the players hardware / audio configuration affects it so much. The thing with the volume sliders is something I'd hope to see cleared out in the future.

I think it was an excellent use of suspense but I think there was just too much suspense and not enough of anything actually "playing out" other than what I thought might happen after reading the readables. Then something does happen at the very end and its over in like ten or fifteen seconds when you figure out you can't go out the doors and there's that open window in the stair well. I was honestly hoping for a little more but I wasn't dissappointed at all.

Yeah, while I wish we could have provided a bit more fleshed out experience, I think in a way it ended up short and sweet. I'm hoping to continue working on a larger map in a similar snowy environment, so hopefully then!

Thanks once more to everyone so far who has provided input. It's feedback like this that helps mappers to get better!

Edited by kyyrma
  • Like 1

A superb little mission with a very neat ghost story: congratulations on the release guys. I loved the way the environment developed with the story: the increasing menace as the bodies piled up and the place started to get bashed up a bit. And there were a few nice touches that made me jump like the

falling statue

. This was so well executed it's impossible to believe it was a speed build.

I somehow managed to deal 32022 damage without killing anyone; not sure how that happened. And I did discover one secret but not I think the one you hinted at above even though

I did get carried away brightening the place up when I discovered the pot of slow matches! :)

Very well done!

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

This was so well executed it's impossible to believe it was a speed build.

While it only took two weeks, it was a very intensive two weeks. I happened to have a week off and Airship simply never sleeps, so were able to put a lot of work down each day.

Hopefully other mappers will pick up on the idea as well. While I love nothing better then a large, meaty FM, having smaller missions to supplement them would be lovely. The long "dry stretches" between large FMs can be hard on more impatient players like myself! :P

is INTENSE! I had headphones on and wow.

I was really worried we would get the volume wrong, and someone playing with headphones would break an eardrum... :D I hope it was not too loud!