The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Exhumed by Kyyrma and Airship Ballet (2014/11/04)

Airship Ballet

Poll: Exhumed  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Narrative

Wonderful! I've been playing Thief 4, and not hating really, but this mission was very nice to come back to. A great "haunted cathedral" style mission reminded me of TDP much more than anything I played in the new Thief.

Thank you! This is high praise considering TDP style Haunt was exactly the feel we were going for!

Edited by kyyrma
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Played this just now with the brand new TDM version.

Thanks for making this mission: I had a very entertaining 40mins.

Some notes:

I liked this mission. It was well made and interesting. Especially the roof top and the skybox was well done.

The map was a bit dark, which made the areas look a bit washed out, but there were plenty of details to offset this. The geometry could have used some more interesting (dramatic or wider area) lighting. I would have expected the AI to relit at least some critical lights so that they would not need to dwell in complete darkness.

The basement traps were nice. You got me once, but I managed to dodge the other ones. This was okay since they were only damaging.

The arrow trap was an annoyance, because it killed me instantly from full health and there wasn't much time to dodge it. Good thing I saved during my game. Sometimes I play missions iron man, good thing I wussed out. It would have been difficult to motivate entire replay because of an instakill in the mid part of the mission.

I certainly deserved this, though. I did the same mistake in U:G. :D Note to self: do not make instakill traps. If you do, they should be very slow-fireing, or the player should have a clear warning. Or use a water trap, slow-detonating steampunk bomb or something.

It would have been nice to know something about the thieves in the location (they didn't look (or sound) like the pagans that were mentioned). Also the bodies appearing was a bit strange, especially when I had KOd some of the AI and placed them safely indoors so that they would not freeze to death in the snow.

The end boss was cool and it felt great to out-maneuver it. I shot it with a firearrow, but it didn't die, climbed to the bell tower and clambered down, slipped, fell, got seriously injured and weakly crawled to the exit. A great climax in the very end. Good thing I didn't die.. ;)

Thank you and keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The map was a bit dark, which made the areas look a bit washed out, but there were plenty of details to offset this.

Yeah, we were a bit concerned about performance in such an open area with open windows, so we were a bit more cautious with the lights.

The arrow trap was an annoyance, because it killed me instantly from full health and there wasn't much time to dodge it.

Wasn't me! :ph34r:

The end boss was cool and it felt great to out-maneuver it. I shot it with a firearrow, but it didn't die, climbed to the bell tower and clambered down, slipped, fell, got seriously injured and weakly crawled to the exit. A great climax in the very end.

Whoo!

Thank you and keep up the good work!

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!

• 5 months later...

Okay. dat was fun and different. Nice to see icicles too. Oddly

dead bandits appeared at points after I am very certain I knocked them all out before things got weird...continuity...and I realized this was made at contest speed, s'OK.[/spoilers]

This map is great so far, but I seem to be stuck. I have picked up the skull in the crypt, creating a new objective to dose the remains in holy water - and here is my problem. I have no holy water, and the holy water I found in the basement I couldn't pick up. I tried putting the skull in the basin of water in the basement, but that didn't work either.

Can anyone lend a hand, am I encountering a bug?

Thanks!

This map is great so far, but I seem to be stuck. I have picked up the skull in the crypt, creating a new objective to dose the remains in holy water - and here is my problem. I have no holy water, and the holy water I found in the basement I couldn't pick up. I tried putting the skull in the basin of water in the basement, but that didn't work either.

Can anyone lend a hand, am I encountering a bug?

Thanks!

it might be a bug. There clue involves the white mushrooms. Droppinig the skull onto the basin with all of the white mushrooms should work; actually drop it, don't simply press [enter]. There is another bowl with one white mushroom elsewhere on the main level, maybe that will work.

it might be a bug. There clue involves the white mushrooms. Droppinig the skull onto the basin with all of the white mushrooms should work; actually drop it, don't simply press [enter]. There is another bowl with one white mushroom elsewhere on the main level, maybe that will work.

Thanks, that was it. I never tried the drop key, I just tried using it, which was my mistake.

Fun little map! I was engaged.

Finished this mission yesterday, and it was a hoot. :smile: Excellent example of a suspensful horror mission put together within a minimalist setting and with a minimalist plot. Before I played the mission, I had no idea it would take place in a winter setting. I loved the sense of isolation offered by the whole level, it was spot-on.

The ending is effective and technically creative, even if a bit excessive. I didn't have a problem with

the chase sequence

, I paradoxically died more often due to jumping off the belltower than anything else. Then I finally figured, to my sudden embarassment, that the best way down is to simply climb onto the roof first and then escape by bypassing the problematic section.

• Like 2

Oh, and I liked the candle-related set dressing, with the different sizes and different states of decay. It looked very naturalistic and authentic for a small, presumably monastery church. The ruins of the belltower were also furnished convincingly. In terms of atmosphere and sense of place, it was an excellently designed mini-mission.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Haven't finished it yet but in process.

Is is a bug that the hand and weapon models (when I equip anything) don't show up for me in this very mission? UPD1: It suddenly appeared, dunno why.

Also what's slow match for?

And like the new music!

UPD:2

Finally finished the mission (and don't regret about this)! This is I think the first mission with pagans I encounter in TDM. I know there are reasons why we don't have much pagan-themed maps but still... this one is a nice, even great pilot for me, very refreshing. I also would like to stress my enjoyment of the creaking window - that's one unnecessary yet extremely thoughtful element, bravo here.

Edited by Lex

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

• 10 months later...

Brilliant little mission. You really got the feel of a ruined church out in the middle of a snowy wasteland.

I thought this one was well put together, atmospheric, and short enough not to wear out its welcome.

Getting away at the end was quite tense.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 3 years later...

I liked the small touches, like spirits that aren't there, casual man-eater.

Although when things started going crazy, I was a bit shocked to see a woman, whom I put out of the cold, into the nom-nom shack, suddenly back outside.

When the door slammed close, and the thing showed up (made me think of SOMA or Amnesia) it didn't see me, and I recalled that there was a window I could use to escape... Maybe it should've been barred as well, forcing us to climb to the bell tower (only to see chilling bones)