The Dark Mod Forums

Revelator's TDM Branch

nbohr1more

@revelator: Very nice job on GLEW. It's let me do some cool OpenGL3 experiments in your branch since the above post. Can you offer me any guidance on how to adding GLEW to our current engine build? The OGL3 work is going very well, but there are some renderer glitches, probably caused by soft particle decls (not supported in your branch) and the removal of sikkmod in ours. You did that piece of work before starting your GIT repo, so I can't see your GLEW commits, I can see only a few that you added later to fix compilation errors on Linux.

It's getting to the point where I'll soon want to share an alt built of the engine to show off these new rendering techniques, but I'm faced with the choice of (a) replicatiing your work to add GLEW to our 2.03 trunk, or (B) porting the idTech OpenGL3 interface from BFG, or © porting all the 2.04 changes to your branch so that everything works right.

(a) would be my preferred option, especially if you can offer me some advice to save me repeating all your hard work!

Ah damn :( yeah i made most of the GLEW changes before comitting sorry im not quite myself high fewer (40'ish") changes mostly affect about 3 files from the vanilla source allthough i since split up parts of the original GLEW implement so it may be more now. From the top of my head look at changes to qgl.h qgl.cpp win_glimp.cpp RenderSystem_init.cpp and RenderSystem.h.

The most critical change is in this function GLimp_Init compare it to the original because you have to reorder a few things for GLEW to work correctly, should be easy spotting the difference.

Aside from that you need to add the GLEW include dir and GLEW library to the build, best place for MSVC is probably _Common.props which i use to tell the compiler where things are.

Seems im not getting out of bed anytime soon :( normal medication has failed and im now on steroid type medication to brute force the inflammation down, hopefully it works before this crap kills me.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you're suffering so :( But I really appreciate your taking the time to pass on some advice, thanks. I'll go and study the diffs on those files as soon as I have a proof-of-concept out for our first round of light interaction changes, which will take me a day or two (and which I'm doing in your branch so I don't have to solve this first).

Geez, get healthy dude.

With the death of Oliver McFadden, I'm getting paranoid about some sorta cold war against Doom 3 coders...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The grim reaper will not get me alive !!! ... oh :ph34r::excl:

feels worse than it probably is these kinda irks usually do (looks like crap to heh) but yeah this was kinda a complication i could have been without.

Normally only allergic to pine needles so it came as a bit of a surprise when i got this sick from exposure to a plant oil. Doc had his doubts that its even the oil im allergic to, but rather that it comes from a curing ingredient in the leather i was applying it to "chromium" which got released when i was rubbing it in.

The fewer is probably the worst part but i can bring it down to more resonable levels with normal kodimagnyl tablets, bit hard on the stomach though so i hope the new medicin works before i burn a hole through my intestines with stomach acid.

And steve, ill follow up as much as im able to atm, no worries :)

Have to quit smoking, probably for the best im starting to hit the age where problems arise from that kinda lifestyle. (expensive stuff to).

Last complication had me hospitalized over night with an astmatic attack so quite the incentive to drop the coffin nails cough...

down to 4 a day from 20 so getting there :)

...about which nobody knows how harmful or harmless they really are. Better stop smoking or vaping alltogether, I guess. :) I also stopped a few years ago because I had very frequent colds and similar sicknesses and I figured the smoking just wouldn't help stabilizing my immune system. Nowadays, I only smoke a cigarette on parties and I am fine with that. :)

I found e-cigs did it for me too. Sure there've been no long term studies on a new invention (there are many in progress I believe), but what we do know for sure is that e-cigs don't have the 1000+ known carcinogens and poisons in them that tobacco has, so for anyone who's repeatedly failed to quit the hard way, it's a good bet.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Still here :) just been busy. Had to get rid of all the furniture with black leather because of my allergy but im back to normal again now.

Starting up slowly, also spotted a problem reported by the RBDoom3 dev about GLEW that i need to have a look at.

Ill start collecting the places where the changes for GLEW support are, shouldnt be to hard if i remember correctly it only affects a few files.

• Like 1

No the alt tab problem has nothing to do with GLEW :) GLEW is just sortof a wrapper library around the opengl32.dll or libgl.so in case of linux that makes it easier for developers to code in new stuff.

Reason we cannot alt tab is intentional as each time we switch out and in of the game all the opengl functions need to sync up again which leads to strange behaviour, so ID removed that functionality.

It could be coded back in but i suspect it wont be easy to do, hence why it was left out.

Reason we cannot alt tab is intentional as each time we switch out and in of the game all the opengl functions need to sync up again which leads to strange behaviour, so ID removed that functionality.

It could be coded back in but i suspect it wont be easy to do, hence why it was left out.

I'd like to fix that, if I had the slightest idea where to start.

You can minimize and resume fullscreen TDM without problems or delays using the task manager, so it feels like it should be possible with alt+tab, but I don't know how to tackle it.

Probably only needs to have keybinds coded in then :) try looking at the quake sources alt tab works there,

if i remember correctly they started removing it in quake3 so quake2 is probably the latest with the alt tab bindings still in.

I suspect win_glimp.cpp would be the place to look atleast for windows compiles, linux might need some patching in another source file.

• 3 months later...

Started looking at the depthbuffer access code again and i noticed something when looking at the qeffects_gl code i had not noticed before, so went over the code and it seems the correct bindfunction

is BindFragment() not Bind() as the effect is purely dependant on a fragment shader being available to even work. I also changed the texturemode to use GL_RECTANGLE_ARB as that is what qeffects_gl is using.

Might also be a good idea to copy its rather simple code check, that checks if the depthbuffer is actually writable :).

The shaders from qeffects_gl are sadly glsl based so unless someone can convert them to ASM they would not be directly useable unless we hardcode them into the engine.

• Like 2