The Dark Mod Forums

Request: more interior sounds

Bikerdude

The mod needs more interior sounds for apartments, hovels, manors, mansions etc. We have more than enough ambients for crypts, labyrinths and other creepy places.

The list for normal interior spaces as I see it is as follows -

Manson/Manor:

• mansion_piano01
  • mansion_piano01_scratched
  • mansion_piano01a
  • mansion_piano01b
  • mansion_piano02a
  • mansion_piano02b
  • mansion_tense02

Apartments/Flats/Buildings:

• hum_07_loop
  • musicbox01a - (only really suitable for creepy, quiet, dark locations)
  • deep_dark_twinkles - (similar to above, but less so)

Vents/Utility & Small rooms:

• hum_medium01_loop
  • hum_medium02_loop
  • hum_medium03_loop
  • hum_medium04_loop
  • hum_subtle01_loop
  • hum_subtle02_loop
  • hum_subtle03_loop
  • hum_subtle04_loop
  • hum_subtle05_loop

What would be handy is more sounds for the first two sections, it gets a bit boring when mapping when you have alternate between the same old sound's ad infinitum. Anything will do, links to sounds or list of sounds as long as they are compatible with the CC licence etc.

many thanks.

b.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be neat to have some harbor sounds and some more warehouse, factory sounds. What is exactly needed? just an .ogg file? Let me know and maybe I'll play with some sounds to add to the data base (if approved) as my next project.:)

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

Here's something I created today. It's a 17 second ambient, but I could make it longer. I'm still very much new to sound design, so if you have an constructive criticism (even if you don't do sound design but have a good ear), I'd very much like to hear it! Sounds are all basic sounds included with Ableton and some filters, so there should be no legal issues. You're free to do whatever you want with this clip/bit of music, except pass it of as your own (is there some type of license I need to include?). Requests are welcome.

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/60810390/file.html

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Not bad, but the piano needs some reverb or a slight echo and I assume this is a draft copy..? as the sample rate is quite low... Other than as the track plays you should insert some atmospheric samples like we have currnelty in some TDM ambients.

Yeah I'm not happy with the reverb on the standard Ableton piano sound. Definitely sounds much better with some pedal.

There's a very subtle pad in there. I didn't want to clog up the sound. Is that what you mean by atmospheric?

Here's a version with a higher sample rate and some added reverb. Oh I also did a thing with some other sounds.

http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/35475028/file.html

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Here's my (harsh) criticism:

The buzzing sounds like an error in the wav file. Like Bikerdude I also thought for a moment that it's a glitch.

The whole thing is too melodic. Especially last chord is too happy and resolving. It will be played in loop so it should pump up the tension. In Eric Brosius' work the background was usually filled with a constant low hum and musical elements are less frequent.

The Moira's house is probably one of the most melodic tracks from Thief games.

http://youtu.be/7PonG-KtH3Y

I just read on wiki that Alexander Brandon composed the music for Deadly shadows, but people write everywhere that it was Brosius, it definitely sounds different.

It's only a model...

I agree with Arcturus. While the song is okay, it will get very repetitive after one or two cycles.

I am completely inept musically, and have deep respect to those who can do ambients.

But what Arcturus said: you need to add some ambient hums and make the musical elements play only occasionally, rather than have them to be rhytmic constantly. Here is another example:

Analytically, the pattern seems to be:

hum -> hum increases dramatically -> guitar riff (or other musical segment) -> lower down into hum -> hum -> goto start.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Not that harsh Arcturus. It's constructive.

I listened to the songs you guys posted, and I think this might be more in line with what you would like.

http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/52863409/file.html

This is just a draft copy to get the right feel in the track (I do believe the French word is "ambience" :P). Then I can add more and make it longer once we get that right.

It certainly is an improvement, but still the background hum is still a short recurring element, which lasts 3 seconds. Could it somehow be expanded into a longer hum?

In the example songs the spooky hums are always longer. For example, the in the fallout song it is like 30s econds. They are also using multiple noises to break the repetitiveness of the song elements. Dragging things along, and using multiple overlapping elements breaks this repetiveness

The repetiveness is the poison for an ambient. Even a top-notch sound gets irritating if you hear it all over again and again and again...

Clipper

It certainly is an improvement, but still the background hum is still a short recurring element, which lasts 3 seconds. Could it somehow be expanded into a longer hum?

In the example songs the spooky hums are always longer. For example, the in the fallout song it is like 30s econds. They are also using multiple noises to break the repetitiveness of the song elements. Dragging things along, and using multiple overlapping elements breaks this repetiveness

The repetiveness is the poison for an ambient. Even a top-notch sound gets irritating if you hear it all over again and again and again...

This is the first couple bars of the ambient, just to set the tone. Repetitiveness is not something I'm going to worry about right now because the ambient will be made longer, and I'll layer on more complexity as I go along.

In regards to the short hum, I like it being this short; it provides a good base to put other layers on.

Here is something I attempted. Keep in mind I have zero experience with creating ambients or music of any kind.

Home asleep

I likes! Hey, how did you do that? Howsabout writing a small tutorial so that others could try as well?

I always wanted to do my own ambients, but I just cannot get anything done. It is like I'm missing some sort of brain area for it or something... :wacko:

There has to be a trick of some sort to kickstart the learning process.

Clipper

I likes! Hey, how did you do that? Howsabout writing a small tutorial so that others could try as well?

I always wanted to do my own ambients, but I just cannot get anything done. It is like I'm missing some sort of brain area for it or something... :wacko:

Thanks! It's nothing but sound effects distorted and layered on top of each other: a few random piano hits, a sample of a woman singing opera, opening and closing a wooden drawer and clicking a ball-point pen. I got the samples from freesound.org and used the free Audacity software to put it all together.

I'm completely tone-deaf as well. But after mucking around in Audacity for two nights, I'm now pretty confident that anyone can create a custom ambient given a bit of time and patience.

Writing a tutorial sounds like a good idea, I'll get to it as soon as I have a bit more time in my hands.

@kyyrma, that is Very Nice. Amazing that a number of disparate sounds can be morphed into a background ambient sound like that.

Agreed, this is perfect for the private quarters or barracks of builders and priests etc, could you make this into a loop? And if you so inclined, could do something quieter thats more suited to commoners and nobles etc.

That said I have audacity and have mixed a few of the original sounds for the campaign already, the idea was to have a matching background ambient with other ambients over the top as to changed locations -

I'll try to make it loop a bit more nicely. I already tried to make it so it would loop, but as you can hear my lack of skill is showing :P If anyone has experience in making a song loop, feel free to give a hand.

I can try making something for the commoners and nobles too.

I'm far from an expert, but what I've done in the past is copy the first ten seconds of the track and copy it to the back (possibly on a separate layer). Then you can tweak the end until it blends well, then delete the last ten seconds.