The Dark Mod Forums

Request: more interior sounds

Bikerdude

This thread shows why we need some kind of community resources site. Almost all of the posted ambient sounds would probably be useful to someone at some point, but there's currently no easy way to make them all available in consistent location without adding them all to the base mod (which is obviously not going to happen for bandwidth and storage reasons).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the sampling rate is to low and the volume is also too low.

Yeah, I work on a low volume because I'm a delicate little flower prone to headaches for days. The sample rate was just audacity's default for .oggs, found the quality setting when exporting though. Same files but better quality are here. If it's the kind of thing you had in mind I'll happily make more.

This thread shows why we need some kind of community resources site.

Yah, though lacking one I was planning on making a thread for my stuff with an unlisted dropbox folder that people can pilfer at will without having to ask. I'll stick custom sounds and whatnot in it as well as anything mildly interesting that's worth prefabbing from my missions, as well as any prefabs I make on their own. I have like 30 container prefabs just languishing in my game folder that I made while bored, for example.

The mentions of prefabs and other community resources reminded me that there seem to have been plans for a Prefab Database:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15890-prefab-database/

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Prefab_Database

Some of the comments on that thread might be pertinent.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

When the repeating tone swells and then fades, the end of the tone has a *blip* sound after it gets nearly silent that needs removed by decreasing the volume. I would think just seemlessly blending the pulse swell in to the end of the fade so it never quite goes away and there is no *blip* sound at the end of the pulse would sound better but that's just my opinion. Other than that I like it.

I fixed the click. It was caused by the note extending a bit too long and then Ableton would retrigger the next note and then stupid things with the waveform happened.

This is getting there, but not so basic. I assume this was just a test..?

Well you wanted something very non-intrusive. So I did something very basic melody wise. Would you like to see more complex layers in the ambient?

Anyway I'll work a bit more on the ambient.

Edited by 161803398874989

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Yeah, I work on a low volume because I'm a delicate little flower prone to headaches for days. The sample rate was just audacity's default for .oggs, found the quality setting when exporting though. Same files but better quality are here. If it's the kind of thing you had in mind I'll happily make more.

The best thing to do is render the sound at the maximum possible volume without clipping (i.e. "normalised" in your audio application), then use the volume keyword in the sound shader to reduce the ambient to a suitable volume level (e.g. -6dB). This should give the highest quality result (although with 16-bit audio the minor quality loss from rendering a few dB below maximum is hardly noticeable).

Yah, though lacking one I was planning on making a thread for my stuff with an unlisted dropbox folder that people can pilfer at will without having to ask.

I was thinking I'd do the same thing but on Github. Git isn't the best tool for massive data respositories, but for a few ambient sounds with .sndshd files it should be suitable.

The best thing to do is render the sound at the maximum possible volume without clipping

Mm, I do that anyway since Audacity just defaults to the highest possible without clipping when amplifying. I was just working quietly and exported that as a test to see if it was the kind of thing Biker was after.

Github certainly works too, just anything that can mimic the file structure. The only reason I prefer Dropbox is because it comes with shell integration by default, unless Git does too.

Github certainly works too, just anything that can mimic the file structure. The only reason I prefer Dropbox is because it comes with shell integration by default, unless Git does too.

There are Git clients with shell integration (e.g. TortoiseGit), but I imagine for an asset repository most end users would just use the "Download ZIP" button on the Github web page.

The reason I would personally choose Git is because (1) I already have a Github account and am familiar with the workflow, and (2) it makes it easy to track changes to the files and to pull changes from other people if necessary. I wouldn't necessarily suggest using it if you aren't already a Git user, since it is primarily a developer-oriented tool rather than a general-purpose Content Management System.

Yeah I ain't gonna bother putting any more fucking time into this. I wrote something that was musical, but then you said it was musical so it couldn't be used as an ambient. Then I came up with something simple, and you said it was a getting there, but it was too simple. Then I added complexity and now it's fucking noise?

You can make your own bloody ambient, I'm done.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

The track you linked above is just noise, its not musical or ambient.

By noise I mean its just a sine wave based noise.

• I wrote something that was musical, but then you said it was musical so it couldn't be used as an ambient.
  • Then I came up with something simple, and you said it was a getting there, but it was too simple.

• It was musical but I believe my reply was that it needed some background sounds/tracks and there was a weird sound at several intervals.
  • Yes you did, the last few sounds you have created have been plain,

Thanks for the effort anyway...

You can make your own bloody ambient, I'm done.

I mean Biker may or may not like it, and he also may or may not lack the ability to think about how what he says sounds before he says it but I think it's rad. It really reminds me of the morose snowy music from Daggerfall. I'ma use the shit out of it if you wouldn't mind.

"Hard to listen to" isn't matter of fact, it's just rude and not even true: you just didn't like it. Even if it weren't as good as it is, even if it was just static, I'd never tell someone who'd produced something for me in their own time and for free that it was "just noise". Calling it "water under the bridge" while somebody is clearly pissed off is just insult to injury.

Er, everyone ears are different, so for me I DID find it hard to listen too.

Like a lot of the people who do a lot of work on the mod, I am have a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it in. So sometimes that means on rare occasions I come across as blunt or according to you rude, but as you well know the majority of the time I go well out of my way to help people.

And it is water under the bridge because 161803398874989 and I have since spoken in other threads, and if 161803398874989 still has an issue with me he can drop me a PM.

"It's hard for me to listen to [...] it's just noise" is not the same as "that doesn't appeal to me." Both are "blunt" but only one is reasonable. Just think about what you're going to say and how it can be taken. No matter how altruistic or hard-working you are, you're not exempt from having simple good manners with anyone and everyone you're on speaking terms with. When you get a reaction like that to something you said you should start questioning yourself and probably apologising for good measure.

I'd like to think I'm the first to admit when I am wrong, so I had another listen to the sound 161803398874989 made and I can hear something below the sinewave sound.

So a more constructive reply would have been the sinewave sound/noise is too loud and drowning out the background track, apologies.

I'm not of the mind that its hard to listen to bUT, I do think the intensity of the sine pulse needs lowered... a lot. Reason being, for me, is that the background keyboard bit that is very soft will fade out to nearly inaudible when once the sound is used and volume of the main sine reduced to an "ambient" kind of level. I really like the light keyboard pulses throughout the piece and (solo) at the end.

Can you try something, try leaving the little keyboard segments throughout and bumping up the volume on those a few decibels and then using the sine pulse as the "more background" pad. So kind of the reverse of the present track but with the sine pulse volume lower than the keyboard segments and with the keyboard segments raised a few decibels. Then after that balance is established you can bring up the master on the whole track and we can reduce the volume for listening. I'd like to hear that.

Edited by Lux

The two ambients I posted earlier in the thread are now available in my Github repository. I may add more sounds at a later date.

https://github.com/orbweaver/DarkAmbience

You don't need Git to download, just grab and rename the ZIP as per the instructions on that page.