The Dark Mod Forums

Request: more interior sounds

Bikerdude

Now this is what I am talking about, bloody awesome ambient

Thanks very much, although I'm a little confused since these are the same two ambients that you thought were "a bit too busy" when I posted them earlier in the thread. Was the issue perhaps that the samples on Soundcloud were too loud, giving the impression that they wouldn't work on ambients? When I made the sound shaders this evening I spend a few minutes walking around an empty room to make sure the volume of the ambients was appropriate compared to the player footsteps, so hopefully they shouldn't be too overpowering this time around.

You should add these to the core mod.

That would be fine with me, although the advantage of keeping them in a separate repository is that they won't bloat the core mod download. Perhaps individual sounds could be promoted to core assets on a case-by-case basis if there is enough mapper interest to make it worthwhile including them by default.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much, although I'm a little confused since these are the same two ambients that you thought were "a bit too busy" when I posted them earlier in the thread.

There was more clarity and sterieo separation when played locally via my SB-Z card and mediaplayer classic, rather than via FF on the Soundcloud website. They are still a tad bit to busy for creeping around a quite manor, but very uiseable for other settings/locations.

There was more clarity and sterieo separation when played locally via my SB-Z card and mediaplayer classic, rather than via FF on the Soundcloud website. They are still a tad bit to busy for creeping around a quite manor, but very uiseable for other settings/locations.

Interesting. In future I will probably push directly to Github without posting on Soundcloud so I guess this won't be a problem any more. Glad you like them in any case.

They are still a tad bit to busy for creeping around a quite manor, but very uiseable for other settings/locations.

Since you created this thread I fiddle around with field recordings and chunks of synth jams to see if I can create something fitting those needs, and all results I get while mostly usable (to my taste) in various contexts (religious, funerary, luxurious rooms, etc.) sounds too busy and dense for say a commoner, bourgeois or generally more modest setting.

Simple Pure Data patch & Synth randomness :

http://a.pomf.se/qwxhud.ogg

Church Bells, Pitch and Paulstretch :

http://a.pomf.se/mainop.ogg

Am I on the right track with those extracts or is that too minimalistic to be used in any way?

The first is eerie and daunting, love it. Dungeons/caves, etc. would be excellent. The second one is excellent as well, very atmospheric and airy/void feeling.

For ambient, subtle and mimalistic is the way-to-go if you ask me. I'm not someone who generally likes music at all in games because they Michael Bay it up way too much. This kind of stuff is spot on IMO.

Thanks for letting us have a listen!

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy peeps, been working with audio and music for years, so I might be able to contribute a bit here.

Since I'm on an incredibly slow and unstable old laptop at the moment, I haven't been able to download and listen to all of the audio samples you guys have provided, but I'll add some comments on some things anyways.

About OrbWeaver's stuff:
The reason I think Bikerdude was saying it sounds a bit too busy is probably because it's compressed into a quite short time frame. The sounds and general feel of the first piece is very nice, but to make it sound more "ambient", I'd say the elements/instruments and phrases needs to be spaced out a bit more over a longer loop, obscuring the sensation that it's all part of the same melodic base. Just a few hits or a phrase echoing out into a longer (at least 4-8 seconds or more) silence, followed by another melodic phrase is probably a good way to start off. Then it will be much easier to add one shots and other things with volume fades or effect sweeps in between those separated parts to tie it together, if needed.

edit will continue this soon PC probs imminent

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Very nice, will check that out tomorrow.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently been in contact with a very talented musician who specializes in ambient music and i'm paying him to create a full track for my mansion in my upcoming FM. He sent me over a cut yesterday and after listening to it, I was very impressed and felt he captured the mansion ambient very well.

I made a video of it and threw in some screenshots from the mansion i'm working on, keep in mind it's all WIP including the song but I still want to give you all a little taste of whats to come... I will ask the guy once we are done if I can have permission to include it with the mod once my FM is released to help increase our library just that little bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbcn83lqTlk

• 2 months later...

I have recently been in contact with a very talented musician who specializes in ambient music and i'm paying him to create a full track for my mansion in my upcoming FM. He sent me over a cut yesterday and after listening to it, I was very impressed and felt he captured the mansion ambient very well.

I made a video of it and threw in some screenshots from the mansion i'm working on, keep in mind it's all WIP including the song but I still want to give you all a little taste of whats to come... I will ask the guy once we are done if I can have permission to include it with the mod once my FM is released to help increase our library just that little bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbcn83lqTlk

Did this ever make into the mod?

The songs have not been added in yet but after my next WIP is released I'll be offering them over to add to the core mod yes.

• 1 month later...

Hey Taffers,

quick question from an audio guy who just signed up here. Is there still a need for ambient tracks?

I had countless hours of fun playing TDM, so I thought I'd invest some time and contribute music. In case anyone needs some custom-made ambient tracks for their next mission, just let me know. Maybe I should've started a new topic - "Ambient Tracks On Demand" - but I thought I'd better post this in here.

Okay, that's all for now.

Yep, good ambients are far and between, and the good ones in TDM are used so frequently, even while they are good, they are getting old. Getting some fresh tunes would be most desirable.

It would be cool to hear some demo/sample what kind of ambient tracks you like to do.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I agree, some of the tracks are indeed getting old, even if they are well-crafted. Well, I'll fire up my machine today and upload some demos/samples (as Sotha suggested) and we'll take it from there.

I've seen some tech specifications - stereo 160kbps ogg - for ambient tracks. Sounds reasonable to me, so I'll use that format?

Got some decent tools at hand, so hammering out new tracks every now an then isn't much of a problem. I'd say it's just a matter of inspiration... I'm talking about those kind of loops that have a relatively strong musical quality to them, think Widow Moira's House in T3... I think I should try deliver that kind of tracks, too. Those might not get used that much, but when applied properly those can intensify the game-play quite a bit.

Anyway, I'll see what kind of tracks I'll do in my first test and then we can talk.

Just built some small template on my audio workstation. Here's an example showing five tracks in a row. Those are what I'd call "generic tracks", not too much going on, can be used almost everywhere. I could do plenty of those, it's not really time-consuming.

Then there's that other kind of track, like I mentioned above. Mappers could place orders: "Hey, I could use a track for a really big library, where the player must find evidence of a murder/crime/whatever that happened a long, long time ago." In that case I'd try to create a track you can easily listen to for 10 minutes or more without getting bored, and maybe the track would have some rather sad elements in it, because of the bad thing that happened in that place long ago.

Or orders for very small and important places, where you find a clue, a switch, or anything. Or big busy places with plenty of guards. Or whatever....

Kind of hard to explain. Think of the mapper as a film director, who's trying to create a very intense atmosphere. Something like that.

Just built some small template on my audio workstation. Here's an example showing five tracks in a row. Those are what I'd call "generic tracks", not too much going on, can be used almost everywhere. I could do plenty of those, it's not really time-consuming.

Then there's that other kind of track, like I mentioned above. Mappers could place orders: "Hey, I could use a track for a really big library, where the player must find evidence of a murder/crime/whatever that happened a long, long time ago." In that case I'd try to create a track you can easily listen to for 10 minutes or more without getting bored, and maybe the track would have some rather sad elements in it, because of the bad thing that happened in that place long ago.

Or orders for very small and important places, where you find a clue, a switch, or anything. Or big busy places with plenty of guards. Or whatever....

Kind of hard to explain. Think of the mapper as a film director, who's trying to create a very intense atmosphere. Something like that.

Sounds good to me! I'll be sure to ask some ambients when/if my next map gets into audio phase. (I just completed my previous map and am now on mapping hiatus to regenerate creativity.)

I like the approach that a mapper could describe the type and mood of the location and talented ambientist would evoke something matching the location. I see the mapper similarily as you: a film director, the scripter... But we can only do so much alone. The talents of voice actor will bring the conversations alive; similarily the ambient track brings the mood and the atmosphere of the location to life.

Thank you for your offer to help. It is greatly appreciated.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Glad you find this useful. I appreciate the appreciation, ha!

Looks like there are two things I gotta do:

1. I will revisit that test-template soon, and make a couple of full length ambient tracks free to grab for everyone. We can talk about uploading/distribution in this thread.

2. I'll start a new thread where mappers can ask for stuff. I'll explain in detail how they request custom-made ambient tracks, small pieces of music for intros/briefings, audio restoration (in case they are working with a voice talent who's got only simple tools at hand) etc.

edit: "custom-shop" thread is up and running: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17186-ambient-tracks-audio-restoration-custom-shop-for-mappers/?do=findComment&comment=372726

Edited by ambiento