The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: La Banque Bienveillante by Airship Ballet (2014/11/22)

Airship Ballet

I agree but as the downloader doesn't recognise it as an update it doesn't show it

However played quickly through again and the vault etc, all works as intended with the fuse box open and the loot in the safety deposit boxes unfrobbable unless you open them first

• Like 1

Nice mission, had a few issues but lots a fun

The wallbox in the vault wouldn't open or frob so I clipped through the cover to see the fuses/wires.

If I was next to the table in the vault and turned so I wasn't looking directly at it but still have it in my field of vision the table would disappear

The door from the offices to the managers apartment will pass through the door to the adjacent office if they are both opened at the same time

--EDIT--

Scratch that as you've updated the file

Edited by esme

If I was next to the table in the vault and turned so I wasn't looking directly at it but still have it in my field of vision the table would disappear

Yeah, this is a standard problem with upscaled models. It's an engine problem afaik.

The door from the offices to the managers apartment will pass through the door to the adjacent office if they are both opened at the same time

I got told this after I'd submitted the fix, and updated the version I'd linked but apparently not in time. It'll be fixed come campaign time at least; it's not really important enough to bug anybody for another upload.

Wow. It's very impressive, especially for a first published mission. I'm still dabbling with DR and I wish I was able to build something that's half as beautiful.

I liked the idea with heavy loot that has to be moved. The only thing I didn't like are the sounds - dropped bags and crates are way too silent for their weight and contents.

The mission becomes too easy after knocking out the guards, but I don't think there is much that could be done with that. Blackjack in TDM is pretty much the universal solution, unless you're fighting undead or those guys who are the medieval version of tanks. You could forbid knockouts on expert, but many players don't like that.

I spotted two small bugs:

• I accidentally woke up a sleeping guard, but he got blocked by the little table next to the sofa. Even after his alertness level dropped, he tirelessly walked in one place, trying to cross the table and failing.
  • If you stand too close to the metal case covering the wires and try to open it, your body will block it. It becomes unfrobbable, so you won't be able to open it further.

I spotted two small bugs:

I accidentally woke up a sleeping guard, but he got blocked by the little table next to the sofa. Even after his alertness level dropped, he tirelessly walked in one place, trying to cross the table and failing.

Yeah, that's the problem with trying to make a small space functional for stealth gameplay. I'll bear that in mind and move the table or something.

If you stand too close to the metal case covering the wires and try to open it, your body will block it. It becomes unfrobbable, so you won't be able to open it further.

Huh, it's only set to go unfrobbable after you cut a wire... I think :ph34r:I solved that problem in the alarm room by not allowing the player close enough, but in this case the room's too small and there's a trapdoor under it anyway. Hope you quicksaved!

Thanks for the kind words! ^_^

I found this mission to be really inspiring, not only for the new kind of rad gameplay elements introduced, but for the "finishing touch" and the general attention given to small details making this TDM instance life-like. I'm glad to see how modders seems to get more and more creative and eager to refresh things as time goes (and will make things harder when I'll eventually have to release something but that's another story). Looking forward to your next missions.

Now about bugs and stuffs :

The guard patrolling in the basement/wine cellar/pantry was stuck in the door and walked in place. Also for several time the one man with a purse sitting in one of the desk (don't remember his name) spotted me as I inclined toward him, but stood like dazed instead of running for the guards. I suppose those two bugs are related but it's just a wild guess.

Also :

I obviously know that every self-respecting frogs love vin rouge but God, they REALLY like that in this establishment, it's everywhere!

• Like 1

Managed to get all the loot this time but I had a problem

the locked crate in the area where the refrigerators are (that was a nice touch by the way) the three bottles under the straw couldn't be frobbed except by noclipping

I can't say I've ever had trouble with that: I just hopped on top and could get all of them. At least everything else worked for you!

The guard patrolling in the basement/wine cellar/pantry was stuck in the door and walked in place. Also for several time the one man with a purse sitting in one of the desk (don't remember his name) spotted me as I inclined toward him, but stood like dazed instead of running for the guards. I suppose those two bugs are related but it's just a wild guess.

The analogue movement of the AI in TDM always makes them pretty unpredictable. I watched the guy in the basement go about his business in every combination he could and he never got stuck, and similarly Morley could run around all he pleased, but things interfere with them and sometimes they'll just crap out given the confined space. The manager and her new boyfriend are certainly living it up with the bank's profits, bath parties and all.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and appreciate the sentiment. I've always been told I have an eye for detail, not that I see it myself. You can bet the difficulty will be ramping up: there's only so much I could do with a small space ^_^ Welcome to the forums by the way!

Edited by Airship Ballet

I must have done something wrong.

I seem to have ticked off all objectives apart from returning Morley's key. Which key is it ? I didn't seem to need it going around.

I must have done something wrong.

I seem to have ticked off all objectives apart from returning Morley's key. Which key is it ? I didn't seem to need it going around.

Should be Teller Key

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Ah hah ! Thanks Xarg.

Nice, with lots of interesting things to poke and prod. But I really should've bought the alternate drop off - being a barbarian, I don't believe in ghosts or ghosting and thus knocked everyone out, so no problem with the guards, but it was slightly boring to carry everything one by one to the window drop off, without even an ale to quaff in the meantime.

Anyway, a few small things:

Some of the paintings were odd, like there were two different paintings superimposed on each other, and some which were rotated 90 degrees. There were also a few places where I got stuck in geometry, but those weren't in any critical places, so no biggie. Also, the wires in the vault box weren't initially frobbable, they only became so if I closed the door first, then reopened it. This using the version downloaded today.

Edited by Thieving Barbarian
  • Like 1

That superimposed painting thing happens when I use my custom ones for the skin of a loot painting because I never bothered to define their painting to show when highlighted. I didn't think I did that anywhere though. Question mark. The wire thing is just a result of the crappy workaround.

There'll be an ale jug with your name on it somewhere in the next bank, promise.

That superimposed painting thing happens when I use my custom ones for the skin of a loot painting because I never bothered to define their painting to show when highlighted. I didn't think I did that anywhere though. Question mark.

One of the paintings in the office lobby and two paintings in the managers' office had that superimposed effect. The other paitings in the lobby were rotated 90 degrees, but I suppose that's done on purpose? Since they're only decorational, it doesn't matter that much, but it does look a bit odd.

Enjoyed this one quite a bit - two issues I came across was the switch in the secret passage no longer being frobbable if you accidentally prevent the trap door from opening fully. Kinda game breaking unless you have a previous save. Second was the sacks of loot not being fully cooperative. They're kind of a pain to move around - but I suppose that was the point!

Anyway, I really loved the idea of side objectives and hints, they're an excellent use of the before-mission shop. My only complaint there is that there's really no reason -not- to take on side objectives, since they cost nothing, but I struggle to think up a way to make them more meaningful beyond making the player have more stuff to do. Hm... Oh, and the minimalist in me balks at the frankly embarrassing amount of loot in this FM, but that's more of a personal quibble.

Was also one of those rare missions where I didn't mind screwing up and killing guards - this is too much money to leave in the hands of mercy, after all.

Hm, everything looks fine to me. Maybe the FM didn't install properly for you.

I deleted the mission directory and downloaded it again from the in-game downloader, but the superimposed effect is still there - maybe something to do with the fact that I use the Linux version of TDM and NVidia's binary drivers?

• Like 1

I struggle to think up a way to make them more meaningful beyond making the player have more stuff to do.

Isn't that the point of optional objectives? There was only so much I could do with the smaller first heist so I opted for a kind of unspoken tutorial, whereby everybody could basically buy the perfect formula for easily acing the mission and know what to expect come the next FM.

Enjoyed this one quite a bit - two issues I came across was the switch in the secret passage no longer being frobbable if you accidentally prevent the trap door from opening fully.

Yup, think I'll just change that and risk letting the player getting it stuck by their hand rather than mine.

Oh, and the minimalist in me balks at the frankly embarrassing amount of loot in this FM, but that's more of a personal quibble.

The minimalist in you is welcome to go back to picking up cock rings and ink wells :huh:

I had very much fun playing this mission and did not encounter any problems or bugs, I think.

I needed a spoiler for the hidden compartment,

but as someone mentioned before, a readable somewhere could help there. The only thing that I found odd about the mission was that the staircases looked a bit blocky to me. Someone mentioned textures, but that's not what I mean. For me, they were a bit too steep, too narrow and the ceiling too low and did not feel natural (and more important: did not match the lovely design of the mission). Well, I am big guy maybe it's just that.

I loved how there was loot distributed all over the place. And does our lady like wine a lot?

I am looking forward to play this mission again and then once more (just to be sure). :D ...and if I could make a wish: some more readables. Why was the poor underling working late in the office, while the boss was asleep? You know, background stories for my curiosity...

Also, I believe this story wants to be continued... What happens to Ms Wren and her bank after the robbery? Can I trust my fence?

Nice mission, thanks a lot!

• Like 1

I'm glad you liked it! This set of missions has been designed formalistically with gameplay in mind. The idea is for it to just be a bunch of superficial bank heists with a focus on guards, loot, gameplay-enhancing shop items, security mechanisms, big clunky doors and inherent prettiness. The focus is on gameplay, basically, but if it's a story you want my moody and readable-filled mansion mission is approaching 75% complete :ph34r:

As for the stairs, they were made for a couple of reasons. Steeper stairs mean you take up a much smaller horizontal space and doesn't look inherently inefficient: an incline half as shallow will mean double the stairs which, given the complete lack of space this city will naturally have, means a small-time bank such as this won't have the room around it to swing a cat. The low ceilings throughout are just a preference of mine. I find vertically compact spaces to be way more believable, while big ones just generally look wasted, and are difficult to rationalise in more modern and functional buildings.