The Dark Mod Forums

Tome o' DarkRadiant

Airship Ballet

I'm the opposite. A PDF is nice and clean. A webpage often has all kinds of extra things like navigation and stuff around it.

Agreed.

The wiki and the PDF can still obviously co-exist but I would love to just have a big PDF with all information ready to go, all I have to do is a quick CTRL+F and type in a keyword and boom i'm at where I need to be.

Plus you could even have a quick reference guide/FAQ section where if you forget something important can quickly bring that up. Anything the PDF fixes could also be updated in the wiki as well

I'm the opposite. A PDF is nice and clean. A webpage often has all kinds of extra things like navigation and stuff around it.

The two aren't really mutually exclusive, obviously. I'd be more than happy for both to exist.

Instead of publishing the work as a PDF alone, would you consider perhaps using something like Asciidoc

I was planning on making it somewhat pretty since it's not much of a leap. That said, it's simple enough to dump the text for you if you want to distribute it elsewhere.

I would love to just have a big PDF with all information ready to go

It's settled, then! I'll finish the big-old map I've had going for months in the near-future and then start writing. Edited by Airship Ballet

I was planning on making it somewhat pretty since it's not much of a leap. That said, it's simple enough to dump the text for you if you want to distribute it elsewhere.

You can make Asciidoc look as pretty as you like using stylesheets; my company uses it to generate both PDF and online documentation (online version here). However, like HTML and LaTeX it is a system which separates style from content, which I can understand might be a pain to get to grips with if you are more comfortable with WYSIWYG page layout tools where you can make everything pixel-perfect.

you are more comfortable with WYSIWYG page layout tools where you can make everything pixel-perfect.

Basically, and it's another learning curve to add to an ever-growing list I've got at the moment, both for fun and for work. Still, if you want to go to the trouble of making one yourself with the text, feel free. Nice site, by the way!

Basically, and it's another learning curve to add to an ever-growing list I've got at the moment, both for fun and for work.

That's fair enough. Sometime people just want to get on and make stuff without having to worry about learning new toolchains etc.

Nice site, by the way!

Just for clarification, I'm not involved with producing the documentation or the website (I'm just one of a number of C++ programmers). "My company" in this context means "the company that employs me" not "the company I own or manage".

• 10 months later...

Is the project still alive? I recently came up with the idea of creating a german translation for Fidcal's A-Z tutorial and i got some comments to the effect that the tutorial isn't really up to date, so a translation wouldn't make much sense at this point...

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17459-fidcals-a-z-beginner-guide-german-translation/

Wow, cool. Well, I don't want to drag you from mapping, since a new FM would be a really cool thing, too ;)

Also i should say I'm a novice to DR so i can't write tutorial pages by myself. I see my task rather in translating...

So take your time. But when you're finished with some part of your tutorial let me know, then i could start translating

• Like 1