The Dark Mod Forums

Howto enable triple buffering

Durinda D'Bry

I'm confused. You're using triple buffering because you have vertical sync disabled and you don't want 'as much' screen tearing? Has nothing to do with FXAA working or not.

When you say, forcing triple buffering in Nv CP doesn't work, what do you mean exactly?

...and....welcome to the forums! :)

Edited by Lux

Triple buffering improves framerates when vertical sync is enabled. Without triple buffering, the vertically synced framerate will be some integer factor of the monitor refresh rate (60fps, 30fps, 15fps etc), whereas with triple buffering enabled you can see other framerates like 46fps.

My experience of Doom 3 and TDM is that triple buffering does not need to be "enforced". It is just used automatically unless explicitly disabled in the driver options. However I use AMD cards which may handle things differently.

Regarding the enforcement not working in nVidia control panel, are you certain that the setting applies to OpenGL? Some control panels have separate settings for DirectX and OpenGL graphics, and the Doom 3 engine does not use the ones that apply to DirectX.

You're using triple buffering because you have vertical sync disabled

No, it makes no sense to use buffering at all if VSync disabled. It is to enable VSync (and thus have no tearing) but prevent FPS limitations (as OrbWeaver wrote).

Has nothing to do with FXAA working or not

Absolutely. I mentioned FXAA just to say that it could be enforced from driver settings but triple buffering not working even when enforced.

My experience of Doom 3 and TDM is that triple buffering does not need to be "enforced". It is just used automatically unless explicitly disabled in the driver options. However I use AMD cards which may handle things differently

With NVidia it is double buffering by default. And there is only one option in driver settings, actually I don't know if it is for DirectX only or for OpenGL too.

But is there any chance to tweak it from game configs or console?

Edited by Durinda D'Bry

But is there any chance to tweak it from game configs or console?

As far as I know, there is no way to configure this with in-game settings; I'm pretty sure there was no such option in vanilla Doom 3 so it would need to have been explicitly added in the TDM builds. Someone with more knowledge of the TDM rendering options would be needed to confirm this for certain however.

If your stock nVidia control panel doesn't seem to provide enough control, there might be a more advanced "tweaking" tool that you can download (similar to the Radeon Pro tool for AMD cards which provides all sorts of useful options).

• 3 months later...

Has nothing to do with FXAA working or not.

Absolutely. I mentioned FXAA just to say that it could be enforced from driver settings but triple buffering not working even when enforced.

It is crazy but with latest Nvidia drivers enforcing triple buffering and FXAA are mutually exclusive :angry: Now I have triple buferring but no FXAA, any chance to add FXAA shader to DarkMod pipeline? :)

Edited by Durinda D'Bry

• 3 years later...

Up?

It's another thing we need to add/implement (Triple Buffering right now it's NOT working in TDM by default driver settings).

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Up?

It's another thing we need to add/implement (Triple Buffering right now it's NOT working in TDM by default driver settings).

AFAIK there is no control over triple buffering in OpenGL. The driver decides that.

How do you know that it's not working for you? Are you running TDM in fullscreen or window? What Windows version?

AFAIK there is no control over triple buffering in OpenGL. The driver decides that.

How do you know that it's not working for you? Are you running TDM in fullscreen or window? What Windows version?

Win10 64 / Fullscreen Mode

47 FPS -> VSync ON -> 30 FPS

I'll try to force the TB via NVCP.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Win10 64 / Fullscreen Mode

47 FPS -> VSync ON -> 30 FPS

I'll try to force the TB via NVCP.

No way to get it working, stuck @30 FPS with VSync ON and FPS<60 :(

Edited by lowenz

It is working in windowed mode.

In Windowed Mode the triple buffering is achieved through the DWM in Windows 8.1/10.

About that.....when TDM will feature a Borderless Windowed Fullscreen Mode ?

Edited by lowenz

I keep hearing about that but so far nobody has explained what it's supposed to do.

The Borderless Windowed Fullscreen or the DWM filtering?

The BWF is the Win8.1/Win10 "default" fullscreen mode (exclusive fullscreen is considered legacy).

The DWM prevents tearing artifacts.

Edited by lowenz

The Borderless Windowed Fullscreen or the DWM filtering?

The BWF is the Win8.1/Win10 "default" fullscreen mode (exclusive fullscreen is considered legacy).

The DWM prevents tearing artifacts.

Borderless Windowed Fullscreen

By "default" you mean there is nothing the program needs to do and it's activated automatically?

By default I mean "What Windows 8.1/10 expects" (no more exclusive fullscreen, all graphic applications in a window).

Edited by lowenz

How do we know if TDM uses "exclusive" or "non-exclusive"?

For OpenGL applications maybe there are some more quirks (driver-related / MS specification for OGL drivers-related), for D3D just press WIN button+TAB !

*non-exclusive -> you'll see the active thumbnail

*exclusive -> black (blank) thumbnail

Edited by lowenz

For OpenGL applications maybe there are some more quirks (driver-related / MS specification for OGL drivers-related), for D3D just press WIN button+TAB !

*non-exclusive -> you'll see the active thumbnail

*exclusive -> black (blank) thumbnail

Is the the only difference? The black thumbnail?

Try r_fbo 0/1 and restart TDM.

No, the black thumbnail is for D3D applications running in exclusive fullscreen.

You can check @runtime if a D3D application is running in BWF or not by that.

I don't know for OpenGL ones.

Edited by lowenz

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm what lowenz stated. VSync on + FPS lower than 60 = 30 FPS. Didn't happen with my former Radeon HD 3870, IIRC, but, I had it with both a GeForce GTX 770, and the card I have now, a GTX 1060.

Ot it's something about the lastest Win10 Update OpenGL management.