The Dark Mod Forums

Does anyone else here play DarkMod with a GTX 980?

cavador_8

20FPS

1920 x 1080 4xAF No AA

i3-2130 3.4ghz

Geforce GT 730

Windows 8.1

It might help to setup a few rain entities and set "lod_bias" on them so that your Object Detail setting will control whether

the rain is heavier or lighter.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hey Bikerdude, I just wanted to thank you again for taking time to help me like that. That was very cool of you to do and I GREATLY appreciate you working with me. Nice talking to you.

Your very welcome mista :-)

It might help to setup a few rain entities and set "lod_bias" on them so that your Object Detail setting will control whether

the rain is heavier or lighter.

might need your help with this then.

The Grass in SS has very crude LOD on it and I think thats responsible for the low FSP in that map.

Ah, I'll do a full check later today, but I will echo that when first getting out of the sewers in The Accountant 1, there was massive choking. TDM crashed multiple times, before I lowered the settings significantly.

Like I said I'll get my specs and specific FPS with these settings in a couple hours.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

--780gtx driver v344.75

--CPU @4.4Ghz

--8GB RAM@1600mhz

--Win7 x64

Post Processing OFF

PostOff.jpg

Post Processing ON

PostOn.jpg

anh_2014-12-03_05.41.58.jpg

anh_2014-12-03_05.42.09.jpg

TDM Profile setup in NVCP driver version 344.75

NVSET1.jpg

NVSET2.jpg

Edited by Lux

Intel core 2 duo (3.06 Ghz), 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4670 (256 MB VRAM). Getting very high fps before opening hatch to street level, then about half the fps in sewers and 25-30 fps on the street. Going back into the sewers causes the game to crash (this has happened quite a few times for me already) Settings are in the album. I'd like to note I used higher settings before with little to no problems.

http://imgur.com/swO4HL4,xUPgO2V,ci6pAYB,DqFif7l,tpPArxg,vHKSyos#0

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

I've got another one to add to the list. I knew it was going to give me trouble just by the title "Awaiting The Storm". Lots of rain in that one and my GTX 980 chugs along in the 30s-40s fps.

But, here is something odd.. In Thief's Den there is rain at the start of that mission and it gives me NO issues at all. I am flying through that rain at a full 60fps. What is so different about the rain used in Thief's Den compared to the other missions I have mentioned?

Edited by cavador_8

I am wondering if this is a 970/980 issue...
I hope it's not just the 970/980. If so, I might be regretting upgrading to the GTX980.

But there were some other people here with cards like the GT730 and an ATI Radeon that had the fps issue too.

Edited by cavador_8

I think rain affects everyone. The heavier the rain, the stronger the effect. GPUs don't get chance to help much because they are left waiting while every vert of every rain drop is calculated on the cpu and then passed to the gpu every frame. That means rain is a bus hog, it uses a lot of the bandwidth between cpu and gpu. It occurs to me that rain would make a fairly simple test case for trying out moving that work to a vertex shader program.

• Like 2

I hope it's not just the 970/980. If so, I might be regretting upgrading to the GTX980.

Well plugged in my old 480 and pretty much got the same FPS as the 970, 50-55. So its not a hardware issue but more like the rainitself, as Steve pointed out below. Its also possible that newer drivers have had a small part in the reduction of fps etc.

It occurs to me that rain would make a fairly simple test case for trying out moving that work to a vertex shader program.

If this could be looked at in 2.04 that would be very much apprecaited.

One informal observation I'll throw out there is that the rain in this mission also appears to be far more dense than in Thiefs Den. Could be the long view distance playing tricks on my eyes but I'm practically positive that's the case. When I get the chance I'll crack open the pk4's to check.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 months later...