The Dark Mod Forums

Like an update on my current situation and things I do.

Atheran

Allright. I guess it's time to explain why I'm getting lost every now and then.

I tried to help people back in summer by making some sheet covers which ended up in failure and in slow development on my part as calculating sheet physics on a crappy laptop is harder and much more time consuming than I believed it to be. I then got back to my house and my desktop planning to repair my work or even start from scratch if repairing proved to be harder that doing it from scratch. As I had moved in a new house I had no internet connection for a while and when I could finally browse the web again my motherboard lost some of it's pins so I was left with low RAM preventing me of doing anything.

Right now, I bumped my RAM up to 12gb and got a new graphics card so I could certainly do some work but I guess it's too late for those sheets now and I've already let people down twice. So probably I'm not going to start doing models for TDM as I hate letting people down whether it's my fault or not.

At the moment I'm quite busy with planning a game I always wanted to play and I lost some time learning Unity for it when Unreal is the choice for a game like that, so now I'm learning Unreal from scratch.

As for the game, it's going to be a survival game set in a post apocalyptic version of our world. Something like fallout but the main concept will be survival, random NPC's and quests and the thing is that the humanity will be brought back to a steampunk victorian era. Well the part of the humanity that survived at least. Why victorian steampunk? Well... I love victorian steampunk and I really feel like this is a "realistic" outcome of a global massive war. The people who live still have some knowledge left so I don't believe we'll be back on stone age and steam machinery is a concept easy enough for the average human to understand. I believe that if I for example survived a war like that, I'd manage with the help of some other survivors to build a steam generator for example compared to electronics and micro-processors.

Anyways that's what I'm working on right now, mostly to learn on how to use a wide range of tools and not to produce a game of such a scale. Thing is I'm stuck... I have no friggin' idea on how to populate places (either terrain or indoors) to make something look realistic. I can't plan my props accordingly and I have no clue on how many iterations of a specific prop I'd need to avoid art-fatigue.

I understand a victorian steampunk theme is very closely related to the art style of TDM so I'll post here any props or models I create and if you people like them I'll do my best to port them to a format DR can use but I can't promise anything as the pipeline from fbx to lwo requires the use of lightwave and this software is something I cannot learn. I tried but I can't.

To prevent this from becoming a massive wall of text I'll cut it here. I'm sorry for anyone I let down in the past *looks at Bikerdude* and while I'd really love to support TDM with new models but I guess it's better to let down myself than others. I hope you'll all understand my choice on this and while I'd be happy to help I can't promise anything again.

• Like 2

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

• I tried to help people back in summer by making some sheet covers which ended up in failure
  • So I'll post here any props or models I create and if you people like them I'll do my best to port them to a format DR can use but I can't promise anything
  • To prevent this from becoming a massive wall of text I'll cut it here. I'm sorry for anyone I let down in the past *looks at Bikerdude* and while I'd really love to support TDM with new models but I guess it's better to let down myself than others. I hope you'll all understand my choice on this and while I'd be happy to help I can't promise anything again.

• Wasnt a failure, as several authors have used those models!
  • Yes please!
  • Its all good, we all have RL issues. What ever you can contribute is more than welcome.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Do you still have the original hi-res meshes for any of those covered furniture models? I could use them to recreate normalmaps.

I think I do. Let me check it out. But it's much easier/faster to recreate them in my opinion as the Marvelous Designer can output square UVs (well not square but the basic shape that the patron for the cloth has). As for the models they have NO normal maps. The problem with them if I remember correctly was the UVs. But if I find the time I can recreate some of the furniture. What I can't or won't do is convert it to be usable by DR. I still can't find any kind of converter that works from obj or fbx to the file types DR uses and I'm out of trials for Lightwave. I can give you the meshes (or even create new ones) but unless I find a streamlined workflow from Maya/Zbrush to DR I can't do anything and that's one of the reasons I said I won't be making any models specifically for TDM.

If however anyone wants raw meshes in either obj or fbx without textures/normal maps, depending on my time I'll try and create themand post them on the initial thread I started for models. I'll also post there any work that I'm doing that can be used in TDM in any way (working on some steampunk machinery at the moment for example) but anyone who wants to use them will have to convert them himself.

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

I think I do. Let me check it out. But it's much easier/faster to recreate them in my opinion as the Marvelous Designer can output square UVs (well not square but the basic shape that the patron for the cloth has). As for the models they have NO normal maps. The problem with them if I remember correctly was the UVs.

I don't have the capability to make the meshes (my test with LW were never successful). But I can fix the texture problem. Having the hi res versions would just make the end result better.