The Dark Mod Forums

Switching "model" spawnarg deactivates button?

Springheel

I have a typical elevator like the one in St. Lucia or Outpost. I made a new model for the made-from-brushes buttons on the controller, and replaced the "model" spawnarg on the button entity with the new model. This has somehow made the button no longer frob or work at all. All the other spawnargs have not been changed.

Is this known to break buttons? Can't the model be anything?

Using a simple brush with the same settings works fine...do buttons HAVE to be made of brushes? They can't use actual models??

Hey Springheel,

Instead of changing a brush into a model, why not just change the entity line/spawnarg on the func_static of your model into the mover entity? I've done this before with other entities and it worked fine.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

why not just change the entity line/spawnarg on the func_static of your model into the mover entity?

I've tried that too, but for some reason nothing is happening.

edit: Okay, I swapped a different model in and it worked fine, so there must be something wrong with the button model I've created.

Hm, you could try using one of the door entities (they're just inherited movers anyways). It might be more amenable to changing the model spawnarg than a worldspawn brush.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

This is bizarre. For some reason, this particular button model I've made will NOT work as a button. If I slap a random model into the "model" spawnarg, it works fine. But put button2.lwo in, and it won't even highlight. Yet I can't see anything unusual about this model.

Yes. I made two button models. One of them works fine. The other (a much simpler model, nearly a cube) will not work as ANY kind of button. I've never seen anything like this before.

Ok...it's not the model, it's the name. button01.lwo works, but button02.lwo does not. But if I just resave button02.lwo as button03.lwo, it works. :huh:

I just renamed it to button_square02.lwo, and that seems to work. What a weird issue.

That worked in the testmap, but when I tried it in the actual map it didn't help. Then I noticed that when I rotated the buttons, they displayed as the original brushwork versions rather than the model. So I went into the map file and saw they still had all their primitive information from the brushes. I deleted those manually, and now it seems to work.

I think so, but I'm still not 100% sure what's going on. When I load up the testmap I was using, the primitive information is still there, and yet it started working when I renamed the button model. The actual map wouldn't work with that fix, however, and didn't work until I deleted that primitive information (which I suppose DR should probably remove automatically when a model is selected?).

I'd expect it to remove it yes. I just did a quick test myself in the map I have open. Changing the "model" spawnarg for a brush FS didn't delete the primitive data. In DR the orthoview showed the new model, but the camera view showed both the new model and the brushes. In game only the new model showed up, but with no clip model -- which is probably why your button didn't work. No clip model for the trace to hit.

Sounds likely, though that still doesn't explain why other models would work properly, or why renaming it fixed it in the testmap. :wacko: