The Dark Mod Forums

Higher Quality ROQ (compression)

Crowind

@motorsep

Ahh yeah, FFMpeg can also make higher res videos as well. Also, the cool thing is you can actually make them whatever res you want! Sadly the engine doesn't support them as I tested. :(

Also, in the ROQ I made, it worked and processed perfectly fine without it being power of 2. I've tested and ran all these things extensively before I posted this.

I feel I should make a video on all this now, because this post might be a bit too wordy haha

• Like 1

RoQ2 for Jedi Academy can make high res RoQ videos, but engine needs to be fixed to support that.

RoQ also has to be power of 2, e.g. 1024 x 1024.

If I recall, the source code for Jedi Academy was released a year or so ago. Do you know if ROQ2 was included in it? If so, that would probably make it possible to port it to TDM and open up the quality.

Hmm.

Could it be as simple as increasing:

const int DEFAULT_CIN_WIDTH = 512;

const int DEFAULT_CIN_HEIGHT = 512;

in Cinematic.cpp

...I will do a test compile this evening...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hmm.

Could it be as simple as increasing:

const int DEFAULT_CIN_WIDTH = 512;

const int DEFAULT_CIN_HEIGHT = 512;

in Cinematic.cpp

...I will do a test compile this evening...

Afaik not. We had to increase mem allocation besides tweaking those two. However, that could be because RoQ reintegration into BFG engine. idTech 4 might get away with just increasing those.

• 4 months later...

Wasn'T there a plan to include avi support, or am I wrong?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yes, FFMPEG was merged into one of the upcoming SVN builds. Won't help for current v2.03 missions though ;)

Oh really? O.o

So what does that mean? 2.04 will support .avi or .mpg videos directly? also what resolution

• Like 1

"If all works out well", v2.04 will support any codec that FFMPEG supports at any resolution supported natively by TDM.

Currently, this is pending work to fix precision issues that are caused by MSVC 2013 as the build requires that compiler.

(Unless you like mantling into geometry rather than on top of it and enjoy braindead AI who can't path a straight hallway... :wacko: )

Hopefully Greebo will be able to assist with sorting those problems shortly so we can merge that branch into the core mod.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

"If all works out well", v2.04 will support any codec that FFMPEG supports at any resolution supported natively by TDM.

Is this still happening in 2.04?

Is this still happening in 2.04?

Unfortunately, no.

The fix is included in the "Dhewm 64-bit branch" along with EFX audio fixes. We cannot merge that branch until we figure out how to fix

the loss of precision from 90-bit to 32-bit in MSVC 2013 (or later). NagaHuntress has supplied some fixes that will help with this but currently

the 64-bit branch is still unstable.

• Like 2