The Dark Mod Forums

Proposal: Builder Nun/Pious Noblewoman Quotes

Cambridge Spy

I've been thinking, one of my potential vocal sets (the female one) should include religious-themed quotes, ideal for nuns or noblewomen (eg. the noblewoman would complain about being bored in one variation of the set, and she would wonder if a suitor is a churchgoer in the other). Because Caroline John was a devout Catholic, and the Builder religion is heavily based on Catholicism, I feel that my proposed Liz Shaw-inspired voice should include such quotes.

Can anyone come up with some sample lines for me? Or should I use some of the Builder guard dialogue for starters?

• Like 1

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

Although I'm obviously not in charge of what is and isn't used, if it's

you're planning on doing again, it'd need a lot of work or manipulation before it sounded feminine enough to work. Edited by Airship Ballet

I'd worry about nailing down the actual voice/character before you get concerned with the content of specific lines.

Although I'm obviously not in charge of what is and isn't used, if it's

you're planning on doing again, it'd need a lot of work or manipulation before it sounded feminine enough to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P4k6eHVHOQ

Watch this for a while and watch the other one again, and then make a comparison of the two voices.

Would the aim of that comparison be constructive critique? Or are you convinced you've nailed it and feel others would be too if only they knew who's voice you were aiming to model?

IMHO you don't sound feminine enough to be convincing. And I'm treading a fine line here by suggesting this and I certainly do not mean to insult you but you might consider consulting with some transgender people.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asktransgender/

I think your voicework still needs a good deal of practice. Right now your clips don't sound like you are playing a character, they sound like someone reading the lines from a script.

This doesn't have anything to do with the lines or your recording devices. What is missing here is the acting. There is no change in your voice, patterns of speech or intonation. This is especially true in your female voice (?) which sounds exactly like your regular, very much male voice. It doesn't sound anything like Liz Shaw, I'm afraid.

If voice acting is a passion for you, I suggest you keep on practicing it. Start out with trying to nail a single type of voice. Look into tutorials about imitation, read books about voice acting, and most importantly - go for drama lessons! Pretty much every city in the world has one or more hobbyist theatres that welcome new members, and those are great places to learn about acting.

OTOH, adding an intentionally transgender character for the city would probably add some realistic urban\secular social decadence.

They'd probably scurry from the Builders who'd regard them as a religious abomination?

Not that this would be a priority addition by any means. The team has enough on their hands getting standard AI up to shape before diverging

into all these sub-types.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

OTOH, adding an intentionally transgender character for the city would probably add some realistic urban\secular social decadence.

Adding such a character is one thing but having the subtlety and ability to portray such a character without it coming across as some type of parody is another thing completely. No offense intended Cambridge Spy but your performance needs a lot of work. This isn't something you're going to learn in a few weeks.

Adding such a character is one thing but having the subtlety and ability to portray such a character without it coming across as some type of parody is another thing completely. No offense intended Cambridge Spy but your performance needs a lot of work. This isn't something you're going to learn in a few weeks.

Like I said, I do NOT regard the voice as flawless - no impressionist can really call their works perfect. But yes, I'll try and do some work on how I'm best to deliver the right sort of lines to you.

Like I said, I do NOT regard the voice as flawless

I think you're flying wide of seeing the problem here. Obviously this isn't intended to offend, but it's hard to critique something without being harsh where it's needed, and I really think you need to be given it straight. The intonation and accent are in and of themselves not very accurate when compared to the video you provided. You constantly have a raised voice and always sound as if you're turning to the crowd at a pantomime play and making exaggerated faces at them as you deliver the lines. She, on the other hand, is simply a softly spoken woman in every context I can find. The accent is off, too: you drawl far, far more than she does and end up sounding more like a rough Southerner. Still, that's not the most important problem, because the qualification for having your voice used is not "sounds like a carbon copy of Caroline John", but rather "can pass as a woman". You categorically cannot pass as a woman when doing that voice, it's just that simple. You sound like a man shouting in an affected accent, that's it. My advice would be to just steer away from that voice and do something else. Your vocal talent lies elsewhere, because I can safely say that it isn't acting in a straight-faced female role.
  • Like 1