The Dark Mod Forums

Christmas life events

Anderson

Since the Winter holidays are coming, I wondered were there any "Special" moments that occured at any point in your lives with Christmas and New Year?

Some sort of enigmatic, odd, horrible or wonderful thing? It is a time of miracles after all!

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Oh, I dunno. About the only thing I would count as special before getting to see my kids enjoy the holiday was my friend getting

Super Ghouls and Ghosts for the SNES and playing the winter level whilst listening to Ozzy Osbourne's "Randy Rhodes Tribute"

album. I guess that's why I like winter themed TDM missions like Mandrasola, In the North, Business as Usual, The Parcel, Rake Off.

etc... so much. Gaming nostalgia and winter have become one in my mind.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Nope, not really. I thinks more interesting stuff has happened to me during other times of the year, usually during the brief finnish summer.

There is one thing though, during my restless years, when I ventured out, alone, during a heavy snowfall on xmas night for a long, long walk. It was like the city was dead, not a single soul in sight. No wind. No movement. No sounds, just complete silence. Like the humanity had simply vanished. Just me, snow, darkness, cold and elecric lights buried in snow.

I wandered in the snow for hours, and the memory of the experience was unusually strong. I like to return to that memory sometimes, possibly because of the serenity of the moment.

• Like 3

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I got, played and completed Thief TDP on Christmas day '98! I got Half-Life and Baldur's Gate too, but TDP just hooked me. I used to love wearing these really frumpy-ass sweaters (and had only just done away with these god-awful John Lennon glasses) and I distinctly remember chewing a brand new sweater to bits at the neck out of nervous habit in the undead levels. It was a blast, despite the nightmares!

Merry Christmas! damn it's weird seeing my name in every other sentence

• Like 1

Not Xmas, but I remember my best friend and I in our late twenties heading out New Year's Eve to try and find a club to ring in the new year at...and after looking around for a while, saying "screw it", going home, and playing Thief 2 all night instead. Best New Years ever.

• Like 1

I once got the luck of being mugged and robbed just a few hours before New Year.

It was a really sad time, but somehow, you know when everyone's celebrating, the sadness went out over time in the comfort of the people close to me.

Turned out to be not so bad I guess.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I spent Xmas 1999 getting dumped by my girlfriend and getting attacked by a prostitute. I was working as a barman earlier in the year and I started dating a regular uni student at the time. When she finished uni she went back home which was up in Yorkshire. I didn't have much going for me at the time so I went up North with her to live with her and her mum. After a few weeks I got me a job in a call center and a room in a house share. I didn't know at the time that it was in a red light district. I went out one night and all the ladies were smiling at me. I thought to myself "damn! I must be looking good" and then something clicked.

On Xmas day I was supposed to spend it with my girlfriends family and her mum was supposed to pick me up with her car. After waiting for half an hour I got a text from my girlfriend telling me that she never wanted to see me again. Assuming that I would be spending Xmas day at my girlfriends mums, I had no food in my fridge and all the shops were closed. So at 6pm I went to my local pub to drown my sorrows and bought two packets of cheese and onion crisps (my Xmas dinner). On the way home a prostitute asked me for business. I'm not into that sort of thing so I ignored her. The next thing I knew she jumped on my back and had mew in a choke hold screaming "Don't ignore me you bastard!". I turned around so my back was facing a wall and jumped backwards so I sandwiched the prostitute between my back the wall. We both hit the ground and she released her hold. I got up and ran home. When I got to my front door I released that I left my cheese and onion crisps on the floor with the prostitute. I decided that it wasn't worth going back so I just crawled into bed with the lights off and just wished the horrible day to end.

Every Xmas day in comparison has been awesome!

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Ouchie! That sounds like a bad movie plot. On the other hand, I suppose crappy events like that makes one grow.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but sometimes what doesn't kill you cripples you...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

What's that phrase I've heard of a few times... "bitches be bitches" and some are quite clearly crazy.

What I know is the proverb: "All bitches except mommy" :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Re that story though ... Wow, I'll never complain about a blue Christmas again. It couldn't hold a candle to a disaster-holiday like that. Admittedly makes for a good story though, in a twisted black humour way.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not much for celebrating holidays in general, so I've spent a few Christmases and New Yearses either alone or with friends instead of family.
Spent this Christmas climbing/ascending a Spanish mountain with my brother. 1400 meters approx. Pretty cool. No Christmas food, presents, tree, music or anything.
Stayed at home alone this New Years, no motivation or energy to move out into the sea of drunk people.

Another Christmas many years ago I was at a friend's place drinking beer, watching movies and bonging hash.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik