The Dark Mod Forums

Testers Needed for TDM 2.03 Public Beta Period

grayman

I would like to test the windows version of 2.03 with wine on my mac.

Will the 2.03 zip-file, alse be packaged as an installer?

I'd like to test, sure! How do I get 2.03? Although personally, I would suggest adding an argument to tdm_update to allow updating to beta versions directly.

Cool thanks guys. Re tdm_update: that's pretty much what we do. We upgrade people to 2.03 using the updater anyway, although we distribute a special version (or a special tdm_mirrors.txt, I forgot which) to keep the trial version separate. grayman will start a private beta thread and invite testers in as soon as we're ready to kick off.

We're still looking for a few more testers, if anyone else reading this over the weekend would like to get involved. You don't have to be a established forum user or mapper, just a player who's prepared to play more and to give testing feedback -- including on missions played where you *didn't* see any bugs. Experience playing TDM *is* needed of course, so you can tell when you're looking at something unexpected :)

Thanks for the info. Please invite me to this thread as well, and point me to the modified updater... I would like to test!

Note that I run TDM on Linux with an ATI card using the free video drivers (MESA / Gallium) instead of the proprietary ones (fglrx). I mention this since fewer people run modern 3D games on the free driver, due to this idea that they're too slow and don't work (this changed during the last 2 years). So if there's anything special related to rendering, please let me know so I can test it specifically... I'm probably one of the few people who use these.

Cheers, alternative platforms always make for useful tests. The rendering changes (off the top of my head) are LOD AI, Soft particles, water shaders not distorting foreground objects, and shadows underneath moveable candles.

As a general question

Is there any point in testing it on FM's which have glitches on 2.02 which are unlikely to be fixed or should the aim be to test all the FMs to identify any which are badly broken

Edited by Oldjim

As a general question

Is there any point in testing it on FM's which have glitches on 2.02 which are unlikely to be fixed or should the aim be to test all the FMs to identify any which are badly broken

The aim is to find new breakages in 2.03, stuff that you think probably worked in 2.02 but that we might have broken while bringing in new features for 2.03. We haven't tried to fix map issues, so most 2.02 bugs affecting just 1 map will still be there.

One exception is No Honor Among Thieves, which will be re-released with 2.03. It got taken off the downloader because the game froze when the player was in the cathedral. That's been fixed in 2.03. The bug wasn't with the map it was with the engine, it's just that it was very noticable in that one map.

A chronological ordered list of releases would be nice to cover all FMs and make a good and solid "checkpoint" in compatibility assurance.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

One exists here.

Someone marked Lord Edgars Bathhouse as Accountant 2 however it is just a stand alone FM... could someone please remedy that? as I cannot edit the wiki

I'm up for Linux testing, if it is still needed.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Will there be Romanian language?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Thanks! Go here. If it's inaccessible, PM Springheel for permission.

Sent a PM since its not accessible to me.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Anderson, on 04 Jan 2015 - 3:54 PM, said:snapback.png

Will there be Romanian language?

It looks like it's there, but it's missing characters.

@SteveL?

@Tels?

The translation of the strings was done by Anderson, converted to a patch by me and committed by SteveL (Thank you both!) http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3869

I've added the nec. character definitions to the charset:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=I18N_-_Charset

But all fonts (TDM uses bitmap fonts!) are still missing the special characters, and somebody would have to paint them on the bitmaps for every font and size, in case the font has still more than one size. Most fonts only use the biggest size (and let the engine scale the letters down). However, we still have a few dozend fonts or so. And the work is mindnumbing and tiresome and takes hours.

Since 1.08 (or so), not a single character was added to any font, so I doubt it will happen for 2.03. Sorry.

Edited by Tels

Hello, all.

I would be willing to test the build on a linux box. I run Ubuntu 14.10, the specs are as follows:

Core2Duo E6400 (full disclosure- it is overclocked ever so slightly from 2.13 GHz to 2.35 GHz, without raised voltage, so there's that)

4 GB RAM

MSI Radeon R5770 1 GB

HDD is a 7200rpm spinner from WD

As far as the driver situation goes, I'm currently running the open source radeon driver; since the card is getting old, the performance might not be all that great, so I'll try to find the time to test the proprietary drivers as well.

As far as the scope of the testing I'll be able to do- my employment situation is such that I'm rarely able to predict the volume of work, so I'd rather not promise thorough gameplay testing; what I'm mostly interested in is basically to see in what shape the linux build is. I never actually managed to get the 2.02 running on my previous 14.04 system, because I couldn't get the 32-bit compatibility libraries - are there any changes in this respect? Are there plans to make a statically linked build perhaps?

I would love for people to be able to at least run TDM on Linux, and I'm willing to put some effort in, although time is probably going to be the limiting factor here.

Basically, I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but given that I really can't promise anything, I would also understand if you'd prefer to keep the number of testers on a more manageable level.