The Dark Mod Forums

"Wrong type" error window spam in certain menus

Yet another weird error appears to happen in latest DarkRadiant GIT master, causing an infinite window spam and even blocking me from normally closing the application at times. Apparently, the menus for some DarkRadiant plugins (I notice this in the Stim/Response, Objectives, Conversation Editor windows especially) constantly cause popups containing this message, when entries are added or selected in some lists:

Wrong type, required: long but: string

23vkxp0.png

Apparently this is related to wxWidgets. My version is 2.8.12. I found a thread on their forums discussing this problem. Can someone please fix this in all of the affected plugins, or point out a way to get rid of the spam somehow so I can use the menus?

As a separate issue, it also seems that right-clicking the list field in the Stim/Response window crashes DarkRadiant, with this getting printed in the console:

mircea@linux-qz0r:~/Games/Quake/TheDarkMod/DarkRadiant_GIT/install/bin> ./darkradiant
ATTENTION: default value of option allow_glsl_extension_directive_midshader overridden by environment.

(darkradiant:21462): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_selection_path_is_selected: assertion 'path != NULL' failed

(darkradiant:21462): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_selection_select_path: assertion 'path != NULL' failed

(darkradiant:21462): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_selection_path_is_selected: assertion 'path != NULL' failed

(darkradiant:21462): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_selection_select_path: assertion 'path != NULL' failed

(darkradiant:21462): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_view_set_fixed_height_mode: assertion 'gtk_tree_view_column_get_sizing (c) == GTK_TREE_VIEW_COLUMN_FIXED' failed

(darkradiant:21462): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_view_set_fixed_height_mode: assertion 'gtk_tree_view_column_get_sizing (c) == GTK_TREE_VIEW_COLUMN_FIXED' failed

Segmentation fault
mircea@linux-qz0r:~/Games/Quake/TheDarkMod/DarkRadiant_GIT/install/bin>

I confirm the right-click in stim/response window (field for listing added stims) crashed DR.

I also confirm the other dialog when using the conversations tool from the map menu.

I suggest, for the time being, to also install the windows version of DR using wine. Some features broken in the native version might work under wine.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I suggest, for the time being, to also install the windows version of DR using wine. Some features broken in the native version might work under wine.

That's kind of overkill, and I'm not even sure if it will work. But I might try it, sure.

As I understand it, DarkRadiant requires wxWidgets 3.0 and will not work with 2.8. I guess the configure script should be updated to enforce this if it doesn't already.

Is this certain? All other menus in DarkRadiant work well for me, it's only a few that create this popup. Which from what I understood in the thread I linked, is just a check the wxWidgets developers added a while ago, though without a way to disable it... meaning it's not a fatal problem and could be ignored. That thread also discusses a solution I believe... this is supposedly related to a type conversion.

But I certainly believe DarkRadiant should remain able to work with 2.8 for the time being! My distribution (openSUSE 13.2) doesn't offer 3.0 anywhere, and this would mean DR would be unusable for another half an year until they update it :( Some programs rush to use the latest libraries all the time, and this is often bad news for Linux distros with slightly slower release cycles.

http://software.opensuse.org/package/wxWidgets

• Like 1

DarkRadiant definitely requires wx widgets 3. I'm surprised you've got that far using 2.x. Dark Radiant has never used wxwidgets 2, it was ported from gtk to wxwidgets 3.

You can probably build dark radiant 1.8.1 using gtk instead, to tide you over if you have no options for wx widgets 3. 1.8.1 is still a recent version.

Ahhh stupid me, I do have wxWidgets 3! The package is named differently so I didn't notice... there's wxWidgets-devel and wxWidgets-3_0-devel, and I have the later installed. But some libwx packages (non-devel) are 2.8 whereas others are 3.0, but they're only libraries. Not sure if this mixture of versions might be relevant... although I'd likely get severe compilation errors or greater issues if a package conflict was taking place, so it's likely something in the DarkRadiant code.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

My distro, Mageia 5a, also has both wxgtk2.8 and wxgtk (3.0.1) installed, along with their respective libraries. But only lib64wxgtku3.0-devel is installed and not lib64wxgtku2.8-devel. So DR had to have been built using the 3.0 devel.

I can certainly try to avoid doing the right-click crash in those widgets, but that developers check dialog that pops up seems to have a solution on the link MirceaKitsune posted.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

If there is a bug with the 2.02 preX release then a bug tracker should be filed.

Did so today for this and other bugs: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4019I run DarkRadiant from GIT, so this likely means a problem that would be present in the latest release too.

There appears to be a strange requirement of wxGTK when rendering number-valued columns in the dataview. It works flawlessly since it's converting the numbers to string using the correct method, but nonetheless it spams wxLogError to the user (which is kind of pointless).

It seems a workaround is needed for wxGTK, I'll see what I can come up with.