The Dark Mod Forums

C4 engine drops Linux support completely

motorsep

The lead developer ran into an infamous problem with a "catch 22 for installing the latest Nvidia hardware".

He decided, after years of dealing with these types of snafus, that he would drop Linux with the proviso that

he would return when and if SteamOS settles down the madness.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

No, he didn't. He didn't blame the drivers. He blamed Linux being pieced together from half-working parts. That's why he called it Frankenstein OS :)

I am actually with him on this. Some libs have horrible deep tangled dependency on myriads of smaller libs. And then bunch of different distros and more libs... A mess to deal with. Good thing BFG engine only needs SDL2 on Linux and maybe libjpeg and libpng and openAL.

His engine runs great on Linux and is not the problem, the problem is the Linux mess, and this guy is not some shmuck making a bad engine either, search about him and you will see, he is a very professional coder, a extremely proficient and cleaner C++ coder i must say, even tho i'm not a coder to really say that all users of his engine say extremely good things about the code, he is also the guy that invented OpenDDL language and OpenGEX mesh format ( to replace collada), from what i know of this guy he could be a John Carmack clone, so saying he was unable to install Linux because of being stupid do not cut it.

Edit... it seems he is returning to linux after all.

https://twitter.com/EricLengyel/status/555504908623818752

Edited by HMart
  • Like 3

I read about some developer who abandoned Linux because of the toxic community that sometimes seems to surround it, i.e. the "Your game doesn't work on my machine you fucking incompetent arsehole Microsoft sell-out why don't you just kill yourself!!!" phenomenon.

When someone linked to the story on Google plus, about the first twenty comments were claiming that the personal attacks were obviously part of a Microsoft conspiracy to hold back gaming on Linux because it's threatening their business model.

I can't say I blame developers for not wanting to participate in a community that often seems to be split between 50% immature jerks and 50% paranoid conspiracy kooks.

• Like 2

Yeah, even the phoronix thread was full of posts about how Eric must be incompetent or in cahoots with Microsoft. People started slinging mud from the get-go.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

When someone linked to the story on Google plus, about the first twenty comments were claiming that the personal attacks were obviously part of a Microsoft conspiracy to hold back gaming on Linux because it's threatening their business model.

Sadly, the only thing holding back Linux...is Linux.

I have been trying to install the PPC build on my ibook G4, to no avail. Apparently the 14.04 PPC builds no longer support the video cards in most PPC's. Doesn't make sense to me. I tried Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu and not one of them work anymore. I downloaded an older build, 12.04 and it works relatively fine.

I just don't understand the thought processes behind Linux. I realize of course that the PPC builds are not official, but all the same...it's not like the hardware is going to change on a PPC from 2006...why would they not support the video cards on these old machines when the PPC build is supposed to be for these old machines specifically? lol

Sadly, the only thing holding back Linux...is Linux.

Yes, or rather the thing which makes Linux stand out for the most people using it, the open source philosophy. You won't be able to force open source on the manufacturers. Imagine Volkswagen building an automobile, and releasing the construction plan with it. Won't happen. Open source is a nice and important thing in some places in software, but it's not applicable to everything, especially in the tough business world with patents and copyrights everywhere.