The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.0.3 pre-release Build

Here's the next pre-release build for inclined mappers to test.

Installer x64
Portable x64 7-zip

Changes since 2.0.2 can be seen on the Bugtracker, important stuff includes so far:

- Improved Model-/Renderpreview, now supports lighting mode and camera freemove mode, similar to DR's main camera window
- Fixed: Choosemodel fails to display models when realtime lights are enabled
- Fixed: Text box focus issue when creating new layer
- Fixed: Texture pane isn't initialized when a new map is started
- Fixed: Target Lines are rendered in every preview if names happen to match
- Startup Performance Improvements
- Parse .def, .gui, .mtr and .sndshd files in separate threads during startup
- Make logging subsystem thread-safe
- Offload sound shader loading to separate thread
- Objectives Editor should remember its size and position
- Objective Component always reverting its value to 1 when selected
- Layers: after "Hide All", showing a single layer doesn't make it the default layer
- When clicking on the Layer Control Dialog, the scroll bar jumps to the bottom
- Add Find & Replace Textures command to the main menu
- find and replace texture dialog box. using mouse 3
- XreaL: MD3 models are loaded without texture
- Preload ModelSelector tree after startup
- Light Texture Chooser does not display the currently active texture
- ModelSelector forgets last selected model when hitting Cancel
- ESC key does not propagate as shortcut when a tool window's text control is focused
- Add "Select/deselect elements using this shader" to MediaBrowser context menu.
- Slashes in sound shader names / shader file decls problematic
- Fit texture spin controls too narrow
- Running non-existent script file crashes DR
2.0.3pre4:
- Fixed: Crash when moving single PatchNode over 512 units away from origin
- Fixed: "angle" spawnarg disappears when it's set to zero and the entity is moved
- Fixed: Dragged entity loses angle field
- Fixed: Crash when closing an additional XY view window
- Fixed: func_door issues with models

2.0.3pre5:

- Fixed: Changing model on an entity with a skin reverts skin to default

- Fixed: Reload models unhides hidden models

- Fixed: Readable Editor not working in SplitPane layout

- Fixed: 'select group parts' toolbar button stuck

- Fixed: Rare crash during startup due to duplicate worker threads

- Fixed: TextureBrowser Setting "Max shadername length" ignored in Preferences

- Fixed a crash when re-opening the Insert Prefab dialog

- Added fixed ASE export script

Edited by greebo

- Improved Model-/Renderpreview, now supports lighting mode and camera freemove mode, similar to DR's main camera window

This is good; the old was of rotating models/prefabs for previewing was frustrating. The only thing is, when trying to get a close look at a big model like galleon.lwo, the jumps in camera position can seem quite big. Is there a way to enable smoother movement?

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Yeah, Threading Optimization is a bad idea. It grabs API calls and recasts them using new CPU threads in realtime.

It's a recipe for instability. Might still be worthwhile to get an error log of the crash so Greebo can look at it. I just

thought I'd offer this workaround in the interim.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yes.

Tried to launch launch portable 2.0.3 x64 version with Threading Optimization turned off and set to "auto" and its still crashes.Where do I grab the log ?

When Windows is notifying you about "DarkRadiant has stopped working" or something like that, open the Task Manager and right-click the "DarkRadiant.exe" process then select "Save dump file." This creates a large .dmp file which can be compressed pretty well. I'm going to need this dump file.

I have threaded optimization on and have no issues. Here what it's for: "The NVIDIA OpenGL driver supports offloading its CPU computation to a worker thread. These optimizations typically benefit CPU-intensive applications, but might cause a decrease of performance in applications that heavily rely on synchronous OpenGL calls such as glGet*."

We historically saw stuttering performance or crashes in DR due to that setting. I currently have very poor performance in TDM if it's enabled.

If you google "disable threaded optimization" you will see OpenGL developers grousing about it and wondering if there's an application flag

to tell the driver not to do it.

ok,here is the log : http://rghost.net/60450074

I haven't seen this one yet, the dump is showing this stacktrace:

> ntdll.dll!ZwRaiseHardError() Unknown

ntdll.dll!LdrpInitializationFailure() Unknown

ntdll.dll!string "Enabling heap debug options\n"() Unknown

ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk() Unknown

From googling around it suggests that there is a DLL missing on your system. Are you absolutely sure that you have the correct VC++ 2013 Redistributable installed?

I haven't seen this one yet, the dump is showing this stacktrace:

> ntdll.dll!ZwRaiseHardError() Unknown

ntdll.dll!LdrpInitializationFailure() Unknown

ntdll.dll!string "Enabling heap debug options\n"() Unknown

ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk() Unknown

From googling around it suggests that there is a DLL missing on your system. Are you absolutely sure that you have the correct VC++ 2013 Redistributable installed?

yeah,vcredist_x64

Proceed with caution!

Ok these are bugs that I found in 2.02 release version that are also present in 2.03 pre1 -

Bugs -

• if have an entity or item selected in camera view, can’t press escape to deselect, have to click into the camera window first.
  • when creating an endcap, its always inverted compared to the brush it was created from. Same goes for bezels and adding end caps to cylinders.
  • can’t copy a shader name from within the media tab in embedded view, the focus is also a bit wonky (as in it looks partially selected until I left click on it)
  • models not appearing in the model viewer if the entities filter is active on the main DR window.
  • after selecting some items I keep finding the animation inspector selected in embedded view.
  • cant drag & scroll with an object selected in orthoview - I haven't nuked my prefs since 2.02, so will come back to you on this.
  • snap-back still sorta happing, just differently - when I move anything a small distance it gets moved back to its original location. The only fix is to hold the mouse half a second so DR leave's the item where I placed it.
  • sometimes the camera stays selected, despite the fact camera view is set to toggled, this might be a window focus issue. As in if I click into the camera window then it accepts the escape key press command (don't remember having to do this in 181)
  • entity/worldspawn selection is a bit wonky, as in if I try to select a piece of WS several pixels to the side of a model, the model/entity gets selected instead of the WS.
  • pathnode direction lines keep disappearing/reappearing as you zoom in/out in orthoview.

Feedback -

• model/entity/light/shader inspector selection view is much better now (thanks!) but can I make a requested that the selected item is in the middle of the list of items etc.

if have an entity or item selected in camera view, can’t press escape to deselect, have to click into the camera window first.

I'm going to need precise click instructions on how to repro this. Where do I have to click in which order to get ESC being ignored?

when creating an endcap, its always inverted compared to the brush it was created from. Same goes for bezels and adding end caps to cylinders.

Doesn't this depend on the use case? Bevels might be needed either way, don't they?

Cylinder end caps get the correct end caps for me - create cylinder, keep it selected, select Cap Selection, select Cylinder.

can’t copy a shader name from within the media tab in embedded view, the focus is also a bit wonky (as in it looks partially selected until I left click on it)

I'm not sure what you need here. The Copy Shader name option is available in the RMB-menu of the small info window on the lower left of the Media Browser. I'm probably going to need a video for the focus issue, I'm afraid.

models not appearing in the model viewer if the entities filter is active on the main DR window.

Heh, nice one. I guess this is by design even if it knocks out the Model Selector's purpose. The Filters have only one global state, not per view or scene, I guess this can be reported on the tracker but needs quite some work.

after selecting some items I keep finding the animation inspector selected in embedded view.

Animation Inspector?

sometimes the camera stays selected, despite the fact camera view is set to toggled, this might be a window focus issue. As in if I click into the camera window then it accepts the escape key press command (don't remember having to do this in 181)

I don't understand - do you mean the camera *window* stays selected? Aren't you using embedded layout? Maybe this is asking for a video too.

entity/worldspawn selection is a bit wonky, as in if I try to select a piece of WS several pixels to the side of a model, the model/entity gets selected instead of the WS.

When click-selecting something in the xy view (not drag-select, just a single click) the item that is "nearest" gets selected first, which usually is the one that is top-most in case of the XY top view. If two items happen to be in the same XY plane (like a decal facing up on a floor brush) the selection order is kind of undefined. Generally the nearest item gets selected.

pathnode direction lines keep disappearing/reappearing as you zoom in/out in orthoview.

Ok, I might need a testmap for this one. I changed some code for this and also tested the culling code, but it's very much possible that this was not enough. If you could knock up a test case, that would be great.

model/entity/light/shader inspector selection view is much better now (thanks!) but can I make a requested that the selected item is in the middle of the list of items etc.

I need more info. Which selector are you talking about specifically? There are quite a few selectors and picker dialogs in DarkRadiant, so I need specifics. I assume you're talking about the case that the dialog gets opened and one item is pre-selected in the treeview, but it is not visible and you need to scroll down to look for it?

Im using V2.00. do i need to remove first and make a fresh install, or just install it ?

If you choose a different install path for 2.0.3, you shouldn't have any problem (just rename your shortcut so you know which is which).

The safest way is to use the portable version, it shouldn't muck with any other DR install on your PC.

I'm having trouble compiling the current DR sources from github on linux...
I'm not sure if this is the right topic to bring that up though, since this is about the binary builds, as I understand? Should I post in MirceaKitsune's topic (about trouble with building in OpenSUSE), perhaps?