The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.0.3 pre-release Build

I'm having trouble compiling the current DR sources from github on linux...

I'm not sure if this is the right topic to bring that up though, since this is about the binary builds, as I understand? Should I post in MirceaKitsune's topic (about trouble with building in OpenSUSE), perhaps?

You can post here, if you like, but you'll need to tell use the distribution and the exact error message. I can only support Ubuntu 14.04 though, which I'm running in a virtual machine.

Hey, yeah, the details are forthcoming, I just didn't want to clutter up the topic with the details immediately.

The distro is Ubuntu 14.10

I've attached the autotools configure log and the make output.

Here's the bit that seems to be problematic, on a cursory glance:

CXX      map/darkradiant-RootNode.o
In file included from map/RootNode.cpp:1:0:
map/RootNode.h:33:5: error: ‘ITargetManagerPtr’ does not name a type
     ITargetManagerPtr _targetManager;
     ^
map/RootNode.cpp: In constructor ‘map::RootNode::RootNode(const string&)’:
map/RootNode.cpp:20:5: error: ‘_targetManager’ was not declared in this scope
     _targetManager = GlobalEntityCreator().createTargetManager();
     ^
map/RootNode.cpp:20:42: error: ‘GlobalEntityCreator’ was not declared in this scope
     _targetManager = GlobalEntityCreator().createTargetManager();
                                          ^
map/RootNode.cpp: In member function ‘virtual ITargetManager& map::RootNode::getTargetManager()’:
map/RootNode.cpp:44:13: error: ‘_targetManager’ was not declared in this scope
     return *_targetManager;
             ^
map/RootNode.cpp:45:1: error: control reaches end of non-void function [-Werror=return-type]
 }
 ^
cc1plus: some warnings being treated as errors
Makefile:4938: recipe for target 'map/darkradiant-RootNode.o' failed
make[2]: *** [map/darkradiant-RootNode.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/tadejr/devel/darkradiant/DarkRadiant/radiant'
Makefile:742: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/tadejr/devel/darkradiant/DarkRadiant'
Makefile:482: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

configure_log.txt

make_log.txt

I was recommended to cross my post into here.. so here it is

I recently upgraded from my longtime use of 1.8 to 2.02 and i've noticed a couple of strange things that could be seen as bugs but if they're not too much trouble I would appreciate them being fixed

1. If I save the map in DR and then alt-tab to TDM to do my dmap before the save in DR is finished I get pulled back into dark radiant as soon as the save finishes it can be a bit jarring and in 1.8 that never happened
  2. If I select a entity and then left click in the box where you enter the spawnarg it doesn't highlight the whole box. In 1.8 it used to highlight all of the text which is great if you want to quickly click on an entity and change a spawn arg rather than having to highlight everything yourself. So for example I could click on a door click on the spawnarg part under the name where it would highlight all of the text and then just type whatever I want in there, makes things a little bit faster
  3. Each time I boot up dark radiant it never remembers my window size and I have to resize each time, for example in the entity tab I have to grab the bottom bar (next to the tick box) and drag it down so I can see the property/value lists better and I have to do that each time I load it up
  4. Contuing from point 3 other windows in the editor have a broken size and need to be resized each time such as the patch inspector (shift-S while highlighting a patch), it's completely cut off at the bottom where the information for the patch tesselation is
  5. In the light properties window (highlight a light entity and press L) the icons are outside of the box, like the sun in the omni box is too high for examble

I hope this is the correct way of posting this, if you need any help recreating the problems i've had then just let me know.

And if it helps i'm using Windows 7 64 bit (using DR 64 bit) with 1920x1080 resolution on a 24 inch monitor

Ok these are bugs that I found in 2.02 release version that are also present in 2.03 pre1 -

Bugs -

• if have an entity or item selected in camera view, can’t press escape to deselect, have to click into the camera window first.
  • when creating an endcap, its always inverted compared to the brush it was created from. Same goes for bezels and adding end caps to cylinders.
  • can’t copy a shader name from within the media tab in embedded view, the focus is also a bit wonky (as in it looks partially selected until I left click on it)
  • models not appearing in the model viewer if the entities filter is active on the main DR window.
  • after selecting some items I keep finding the animation inspector selected in embedded view.
  • cant drag & scroll with an object selected in orthoview - I haven't nuked my prefs since 2.02, so will come back to you on this.
  • snap-back still sorta happing, just differently - when I move anything a small distance it gets moved back to its original location. The only fix is to hold the mouse half a second so DR leave's the item where I placed it.
  • sometimes the camera stays selected, despite the fact camera view is set to toggled, this might be a window focus issue. As in if I click into the camera window then it accepts the escape key press command (don't remember having to do this in 181)
  • entity/worldspawn selection is a bit wonky, as in if I try to select a piece of WS several pixels to the side of a model, the model/entity gets selected instead of the WS.
  • pathnode direction lines keep disappearing/reappearing as you zoom in/out in orthoview.

Feedback -

• model/entity/light/shader inspector selection view is much better now (thanks!) but can I make a requested that the selected item is in the middle of the list of items etc.

For most of the above, I will make a video tomoz.

@Greebo here yer go -

- youtube

Thanks for recording the video.

If have an entity or item selected in camera view, can’t press escape to deselect, have to click into the camera window first.

I saw it in the video - I can't generally let the ESC key slip through everything and deselect the map objects, but I think I can define a specific exception for text boxes that are part of any of the tool windows like the SurfaceInspector/LightInspector/etc. I can code that in and let's hope it doesn't have any negative side effects.

edit: fixed in source.

when creating an endcap, its always inverted compared to the brush it was created from. Same goes for bezels and adding end caps to cylinders.

That's weird if it's happening only since recently, because I didn't touch that part of the code for years (since 2010!) so it's basically always been the same for the last few versions including 1.8.1. Does it really always happen, or is it maybe depending on the view type (XY,XZ,YZ) you're using? I see that if it's a bevel and the viewtype is XZ then the bevel is inverted (flipped) - a change that goes back to 2009.

So if you're saying that bevels and end caps are always facing the wrong way, I can look into inverting them by default.

can’t copy a shader name from within the media tab in embedded view, the focus is also a bit wonky (as in it looks partially selected until I left click on it)

This is a strange one. In the code the "Copy Shader Name" menu item is hardcoded to be visible and enabled at all times whenever the menu is shown, so I don't get it at all why on earth it can be appear as disabled. You don't even have to highlight anything in that info window, so you can right-click anywhere in the whitespace next to the shader info and the menu will still appear. It's definitely a bug there, but I can't make it happen. Maybe it's happening somewhere in the wxWidgets depths, I can't say what's going on.

Anyway, the Find & Replace shader dialog is on my target list for improvements. I'd like to convert it to a tool window such that one doesn't have to copy shader names around like mad, and maybe make it behave like the colour picker tools in Photoshop, but I'm not promising anything.

entity/worldspawn selection is a bit wonky, as in if I try to select a piece of WS several pixels to the side of a model, the model/entity gets selected instead of the WS.

Lights indeed are using the bounding box for selection tests, as you noticed. If you happen to run into a problematic situation, try to keep the camera position where it is and save the map (the cam position is stored as well) and send me the map, and tell me what I should try to select and what's not working. Maybe something can be improved, but I wouldn't want to promise anything, since some edge cases are always going to be problematic.

Re: light shader list not showing the current light shader: can you open a tracker entry with this one (I'm referring to the light carrying the texture spawnarg and when you open the selector window nothing is expanded nor selected.) edit: nevermind, fixed in source.

Re: ModelSelector not remembering the last browsed model. That probably happens when you hit "Cancel" in the ModelSelector, doesn't it? You can open an issue for that one, hitting cancel can still leave the previously browsed model highlighted. edit: fixed in source.

General tip when looking for the garlic model in the selector, just start typing "garlic" and you should be straight there, faster than clicking through the whole tree.

• So if you're saying that bevels and end caps are always facing the wrong way, I can look into inverting them by default.
  • If you happen to run into a problematic situation, try to keep the camera position where it is and save the map (the cam position is stored as well) and send me the map, and tell me what I should try to select and what's not working
  • General tip when looking for the garlic model in the selector, just start typing "garlic" and you should be straight there, faster than clicking through the whole tree.
  • yes.
  • will do.
  • I'll try that next time, but I cant remember names as well as what something looks like.

No comments on the disappearing path node lines or drag & scroll..?

No comments on the disappearing path node lines or drag & scroll..?

I haven't had a chance to reproduce that yet, but I suspect it's due to the source entity being culled by the renderer, and therefore the target line is not drawn as well.

the patches inverted. seems normal to me, even in old gtk rad.

might be good idea if u set a prefrence option, inverted patches

the move brush issues seems better, i cant produce any errors on angled brushes.

tho i still see entities have funny values if i use toolbar rotate Z-> (angle -3.5083545633527932e-015)

yeah im hopeing for the find texture dialog box update to :)

like the old gtk used to do

also could u also add some code to load md3. should just need to copy the... else if (fExt == "ase")

plugins\model\RenderablePicoSurface.cpp

i never seen 'copy shader name' in media browser b4 seeing video, would be nice in the model selection window

xreal config is crashing editor to, its missing

<fonts> </fonts>

if you want to add this this file to git

Two days ago could build the repo in Ubuntu 14.04. Does the error still persist?

I got rid of the source directory and cloned again now (same repo). It still won't build, but the error is different.

In file included from ui/modelselector/ModelSelector.cpp:2:0:
ui/modelselector/ModelPopulator.h: In member function ‘virtual void* ui::ModelPopulator::Entry()’:
ui/modelselector/ModelPopulator.h:87:26: error: ‘GlobalFileSystem’ was not declared in this scope
         GlobalFileSystem().forEachFile(MODELS_FOLDER,
                          ^
Makefile:3692: recipe for target 'ui/modelselector/darkradiant-ModelSelector.o' failed
make[2]: *** [ui/modelselector/darkradiant-ModelSelector.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/tadejr/devel/darkradiant/DarkRadiant/radiant'
Makefile:742: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/tadejr/devel/darkradiant/DarkRadiant'
Makefile:482: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

make_log_2.txt

Thanks for the dump, unfortunately I can't open it - I have the PDBs but Visual Studio says they're not matching... I can see that DR crashed on a key press event (ESC key), not during a mouse wheel scroll event - does this crash happen reproducibly? If yes, I'm going to compile a new test version such that I can load future crashdumps again.

also could u also add some code to load md3. should just need to copy the... else if (fExt == "ase")

plugins\model\RenderablePicoSurface.cpp

Do you have an example md3 for me, including texture definition?

entity/worldspawn selection is a bit wonky, as in if I try to select a piece of WS several pixels to the side of a model, the model/entity gets selected instead of the WS.

Lights indeed are using the bounding box for selection tests, as you noticed. If you happen to run into a problematic situation, try to keep the camera position where it is and save the map (the cam position is stored as well) and send me the map, and tell me what I should try to select and what's not working. Maybe something can be improved, but I wouldn't want to promise anything, since some edge cases are always going to be problematic.

I have narrowed down how to replicate this, it seems the invisable bounding box around an entity is occuping different amounts of space depending on the zoom level.

• If your zoom right in the bounding box is only slightly larger than the entity,
  • but if you zoom right out it occupies way more space around said entity.

This is a problem, because as per 181 your expecting the bounding box to be the same size regardless of zoom levels.

I have narrowed down how to replicate this, it seems the invisable bounding box around an entity is occuping different amounts of space depending on the zoom level.

• If your zoom right in the bounding box is only slightly larger than the entity,
  • but if you zoom right out it occupies way more space around said entity.
This is a problem, because as per 181 your expecting the bounding box to be the same size regardless of zoom levels.

Ok, so what do I need to do to get this? Which entity at which zoom level?

Can't get this to work. I zoomed out such that the model is just a few pixels and still I can select the (pixel-sized) model next to it. Can you give me a concrete example, or maybe another video?