The Dark Mod Forums

Help required : changing First Person Weapons and Animations

Deshtat

Hey there! So this is my first post here, and I would need some help for a few things.

Here is my goal : I would like to create an original main character, with its own model, weapons, animations and voice acting. The gameplay won't be affected, though.

Since the game has a first person camera, it shouldn't be too hard to edit : the only things we can see are the character arms and its different weapons. Thus, I just need to get the skeleton, models and animations, so I can edit them on Maya.

The problem is that I am not really used to Dark Radiant yet. Do you know where I can find all of these?

Thanks in advance! And sorry for the poor english, by the way.

• Like 1

Yes, but that has no connection with the systems Deshtat is looking to update. The first person player anims are handled separately by a pair of arms.

That's the point. If you only change the first-person stuff, it won't be consistent with what you see in any mirror surfaces, if your maps use them.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

That's the point. If you only change the first-person stuff, it won't be consistent with what you see in any mirror surfaces, if your maps use them.

Really? So do I have to create a model of the entire body, and also a "FPS model" with only arms?

Edited by Deshtat

Really? So do I have to create a model of the entire body, and also a "FPS model" with only arms?

Only if you plan to include mirror surfaces in your map. There's no particular reason to and the majority of maps don't.

Only if you plan to include mirror surfaces in your map. There's no particular reason to and the majority of maps don't.

Alright, I don't think I need a mirror surface anyway. Maybe later.

I just need to get the source models and animations, in order to edit them properly. Then, I'll try to put the new versions in Dark Radiant. Any idea?

I was thinking about a custom body too, but it occurred to me that it might be easier to rig a fake mirror surface with a copy of the room and an NPC that just walks and moves in line with the player, so it gives the illusion that the player has that body.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The first person animations are in models/md5/weapons.

It seems that it is what I was looking for, thanks!

The problem is that I don't really know how to export it from Dark Radiant. I'd like to get the sword file on Maya, in order to keep the same size for my new weapon. Is this possible?

Alright, I think I can find one easily, but I still don't know how to get the files from the Dark Radiant editor folders. I can't find these folders in my regular explorer.

Sorry if may sound dumb, but I'm really not so used to messing with engines yet x) I read the tutorials, but it didn't mention where to find this "/models" folder. I can only access it from Dark Radiant, and I can't take any file from it.

I'm not sure if I am being clear right now ^^" Am I...?

In a few words, I think I just can't find the root folder. I have a /darkmod folder and a /DarkRadiant folder, but there is not much subfolders inside.

Edited by Deshtat

The folders are packed in the pk4 files (which are just zip archives). I don't know which one is the one you need.