The Dark Mod Forums

Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter

Mr. Tibbs

Somebody please tell them it's 21 decade and we need a Linux version :)

Edit: They promised one if they reach 750,000 $, so I took the plunge and pledge for this project. My first! Woohoo! :) End of edit.

It is cool to see the guys associated with Looking glas, tho. I still got a shrinkwrapped Underworld I on the shelf here :)

Edited by Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Warren Spector and Austin Grossman are consulting too, bringing the Looking Glass ties to six. This game should be very LGS like, and should be awesome.

At a million bucks, they release a Builder Toolkit too, which I think any Thief or TDM fan can appreciate. So don't be afraid to pledge up a bit. I went in at the $50 mark, which gets you access to the alpha when it's available.

• Like 2

I reached deep into my pocket and pitched in with $100. This is the second game I supported with this kind of money after Grimoire. Looks like the best shot at creating a LGS successor company.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I've pitched in 150 - and gave kickstarter all my personal info, from where it will be probably stolencopied in the next few months. But heh, it's an LGS successor, that's worth it for me :)

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'm very happy to hear that Underworld Ascendant will feature Stephen Russell. Russell's performance as Garrett is probably my favorite game character ever. His perfect delivery always manages to make me chuckle!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1136796

56bc3ff0a339232fcaffaf2d950358e9_large.p

It’s our pleasure to announce that Stephen L. Russell will be doing voice acting for Underworld Ascendant. Among gamers, Stephen is perhaps best known as the voice of Garrett in the original Thief games. At LookingGlass we worked closely with Stephen, where he voiced some of the more memorable characters from Thief, Thief II and System Shock 2. Stephen also did voice acting for Fallout 3 and Skyrim. We’re looking forward to working with him once again.
Edited by Mr. Tibbs

I'm very happy to hear that Underworld Ascendant will feature Stephen Russell. Russell's performance as Garrett is probably my favorite game character ever. His perfect delivery always manages to make me chuckle!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1136796

So they do take community input seriously...

:D

So that's the face to the voice. First time i see him. :) And yeah, the man rocks. Will he play the Avatar?

Also, tickled to announce another superbly talented voice actor joining the Underworld Ascendant roster:

1d5c31c445d1f4f2b219d144c17f1f74_large.j

Terri Brosius was part of the team at LookingGlass, doing both design and voice acting on the Thief games and System Shock II. She is the voice of Shodan and Delacroix in the System Shock series, and the voice of Viktoria in the Thief series. She has also worked with Ion Storm, Electronic Arts, Tiger Style, and Arkane. Terri has writing credits on the Thief games, Dishonored, Waking Mars, and more. Terri also plays keys for The Vivs, teaches piano to unsuspecting youngsters, likes to crochet, and has an unreasonable fear of hornets. We are thrilled to be working with Terri again!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That's fantastic news!

It really seems like they're getting a lot of the old crew back together which is incredible.

Also from their recent reddit Q&A I found this among everything

[–]K3m0sabe 5 points 12 days ago
If the game is successful can we expect some re-imagining of other former Looking Glass titles like System Shock and Thief? Say yes... please.
[–]OtherSide_Ent 5 points 12 days ago
We've discussed other plans, but all of our focus is on Underworld now.
So it's entirely possible that their next project may be a Thief based one. Maybe in their funding they even include the cost to obtain a license from EM, or hell maybe they collaborate with EM and show it how it's all done!
Edited by Goldwell

Wouldn't need the rights for a "spiritual" successor. It would be something along the lines of TDM.

I'm guessing they're starting with Underworld because that's where their roots are. It seems like a good possibility that if all goes well, Thief or System Shock (spiritual or otherwise) could be next.

Edited by brethren

maybe because there is thief 4. and maybe spiritual successor in this case would not be so much success.

besides we have TDM :D and that is spiritual sucessor

It's a great game, but sometimes i miss a real campaign. I know, there is one in the making, and i'm sure it'll be great, but imagine 18 missions in a really good successor. :) With a good story of course, like in the original Thief games.

@ brethren: That'd be great. There still seems to be a market for real stealth games, as Dishonored, Deus Ex Human Revolution and some others show. I'm sure they'd have to make it a bit casual though, to conform to the actual market.

Edited by chakkman