The Dark Mod Forums

Dunedain19's Stuff

Dunedain19

Btw, if you're looking for unique textures, you should check out Nobiax's work. They're already tileable, and comes completely with normalmaps and specularmaps. It will save you a lot of work, as all you have to do is set up the material shader. They're very high quality stuff and free for use. We've used some of his stuff before, but there is tons that we haven't yet:

http://nobiax.deviantart.com/

It appears as if one City Watch officer has been trying to bench-press a little too much...

darkmod_2015-02-15_184736_zpsb33c2b05.jp

Now I need to learn how one goes about creating moveable objects...

Next you'll have one curling in the squat rack.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

I'm in the process of creating a metal sliding door, as seen in the image below. I have successfully got it operational; however, I'm having an issue with the sounds that it is making. I have replaced the appropriate spawnargs, and while the 'open' sound plays while the door is sliding open, when the door is sliding shut no sound can be heard until the door completes its translation - and only then does the 'close' sound play.

Is there someway that I can get the 'close' sound to play as the door is sliding shut?

Also, I would like to attach a lock model to the door. The idea is that the door is locked and requires a key to open. Once the player has acquired the key, I want them to interact only with the lock model. However, once the door is unlocked, the rest of the door (including the lock) should become frobable.

Is there a way to do this? I'm thinking of using triggers, I am on the right track?

TDMSlidingDoor_zps03ebaf23.png

I'm guessing a target_set_frobable brush might do the trick. The standard use is with containers, to stop items inside being frobable when they're closed; there are some examples among the furniture prefabs.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Frobbing#Using_a_target_set_frobable

However, I don't know whether you can set up the lock to be a frob peer of the doors and have only the doors affected by the target_set_frobable.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Is there someway that I can get the 'close' sound to play as the door is sliding shut?

Sounds like you want:

snd_move The sound played as the door moves.

Yep, for sliding doors use snd_move. Check the inhereted spawnargs for additional that may be useful.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hello there,
following the guidelines of both the wiki and this topic, I managed to get my custom textures to show up in dark radiant. Yet I have a problem when I testmap (since I've never been able to dmap anything on this computer), the textures are broken and the shaders seem to be noneffective. This shader problem concerns only my custom texture and not the basic TDM ones.

Here's an image of what it does. DR is on the left, and testmap version on the right.

825665Darkmodproblem.jpg

Anybody have an idea about what could it be ?

Thank you in advance.

What format are the textures saved in? Can you copy and paste the shader here?

problem when I testmap (since I've never been able to dmap anything on this computer),

What is "testmap"? :huh:

Well testmap is a command you can use when dmap isn't working, according to the AZ tutorial on the wiki.
The textures are saved as TGA files (and they're 2048x2048 px wide). Here is the shader.

textures/map1/stone
{
// Use on of the predefined surface types like:
// none, metal, stone, flesh, glass, wood
stone
// Or use "surftype15" and add the surface type as the first (or only) word of the description,
// the following are possible:
// tile, carpet, dirt, gravle, grass, rock, twigs, foliage, sand, mud, brokeglass, snow, ice, squeakboard,
// puddle, moss, cloth, ceramic, slate, straw, armor_leath, armor_chain, armor_plate, climbable, paper, hardwood
surftype15
description "stone This is a stone texture."
qer_editorimage textures/map1/stone
bumpmap textures/map1/stone_local
diffusemap textures/map1/stone
// This is the code required for frob highlighting this texture
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
blend gl_dst_color, gl_one
map _white.tga
rgb 0.40 * parm11
}
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
blend add
map textures/map/stone
rgb 0.15 * parm11
}
// TDM Ambient Method Related
{
if (global5 == 1)
blend add
map textures/map1/stone
scale 1, 1
red global2
green global3
blue global4
}
{
if (global5 == 2)
blend add
program ambientEnvironment.vfp
vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump
vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular
vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1
fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1
fragmentMap 1 textures/map1/stone_local // Bump
fragmentMap 2 textures/map/stone
// Diffuse
fragmentMap 3 _black // Specular
}
}

Some of the references to the diffuse texture say map and some map1. Though that probably isn't enough to cause what you're seeing. Usually the cause of that bandng is extreme texture stretching.

I thought `testmap` = `dmap`; `map` (without showing dmap's console output until you reopen the console).

An alternative is to use 'testmap' instead of dmap which does both dmap and map but I prefer to see dmap's results.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Start_Here!#Dmap:_Compiling_the_Mission

What's the console output if you try `dmap`?

Edited by VanishedOne

For this particular test, I got a "Warning : leaked" error. So I guess this indicates gaps in my environment yet I double checked it's just a rectangle and it's complete.
On a previous map I tried to set up, I had no errors on the console for the dmap itself but nothing was showing up, though I had some errors in the "initialization" section of the console (can't find opening brace, set device gamma ramp failed).

If the leaks aren't in geometry, it might be that your material isn't sealing the void. (You could check that by dmapping with the same geometry but one of TDM's built-in materials.)

You seem to be marking your material as 'stone' twice, so try removing this bit:

surftype15
description "stone This is a stone texture."

You can also remove this bit, as it is no longer needed (helps make them a bit more managable):

{

if (global5 == 2)
blend add
program ambientEnvironment.vfp
vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump
vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular
vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1
fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1
fragmentMap 1 textures/map1/stone_local // Bump
fragmentMap 2 textures/map/stone
// Diffuse
fragmentMap 3 _black // Specular
}

@Gast

A number of things that I have noticed vis-a-vis the material code you posted above.

1. qer_editorimage

This should be the name of the texture (i.e. stone) plus _ed. Thus, properly written it should be textures/map1/stone_ed

I have discovered that the qer_editorimage file is critically important. DR seemingly does not only use it as a thumbnail, but rather, it uses it to define how the texture is actually displayed when applied to worldspawn/patches. Therefore, it must match your diffuse image exactly. In the case where they differ, DR will use the _ed file over the diffuse.

(If someone could kindly explain why this is the case, I would be very appreciative.)

2. Keep everything consistent, as Springheel has pointed out above.

---*---

For my own part, I am having difficulty with getting my custom "planks" to extend properly.

While, I did succeed previously, I lost the original individual plank nature of that texture.

I have tried the manual "offset" method, but that only succeeds in creating a texture with visible horizontal/vertical “flip” lines in the centre.

If I use the "make seamless" filter in GIMP, it alters the texture, and if I leave the texture as found - then it appears as square segments. The "make seamless" filter just seems to work best with random repeating patterns, like flat metals.

If anyone could assist me in figuring out how to get the planks textures to work properly, that would be great.

Don't use "testmap". You're not actually testing your map if you do. If your dmap fails, testmap loads the last successful dmap

That's probably why the banding is occuring then...the texture isn't being updated properly.

1. qer_editorimage

This should be the name of the texture (i.e. stone) plus _ed. Thus, properly written it should be textures/map1/stone_ed

The editor image is not strictly necessary--it's just the one DR uses to display the texture, so small .jpgs are often used to save space. You can leave that line out if you want DR to use the actual texture image. Adding _ed to a texture won't work unless you actually have a texture called stone_ed.jpg (or stone_ed.tga).

I have tried the manual "offset" method, but that only succeeds in creating a texture with visible horizontal/vertical “flip” lines in the centre.

Yes, then you have to manually paint/clone over the seams in the middle so they look good. But the edges are now set up to tile properly.

Thank you all for this bunch of answers.

I applied these corrections to my files.

I tried to dmap with TDM's in-built materials and the console showed no errors. @VanishedOne you were right it must be my material that is leaking (I guess this is due to some alpha in my .tga file).
Strangely, even if I got no errors on the regular materials test, the dmap command didn't work. I get the right command lines but after that I'm brought back to the game menu.

I assume you are starting up TDM, opening the console and typing in "dmap"? After this, dmap will run. If there are any leaks, it will alert you. If not, it will complete and you will still be at the main menu screen.

After this, open up the console again. Simply remove the D from "dmap" to make it "map" and then hit enter. Your mission should then load.

I assume you are starting up TDM, opening the console and typing in "dmap"? After this, dmap will run. If there are any leaks, it will alert you. If not, it will complete and you will still be at the main menu screen.

After this, open up the console again. Simply remove the D from "dmap" to make it "map" and then hit enter. Your mission should then load.

It worked, I will now work through this leaking material problem.

Thanks a lot !