The Dark Mod Forums

Dunedain19's Stuff

Dunedain19

@Dunedain: Yeah, the thing Spring mentioned about qer_editorimage is correct. It is just common to give the image an ed ending to mark it as such. You may remember that you had issues seeing your custom texture due to that ;)

One note, though. If you want to see your texture in DR without switching to lighting preview mode, you'll need to define it. Otherwise you'll see the blue and black "shader not found" box. You can simple use the diffuse map as editor image, so you don't need an additional one.

EDIT: 3851th post :P

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Are you sure you need to define it? Doesn't DR default to using the diffuse if it is not defined?

From my knowledge it does not. Dunedain just haad this issue with his custom texture. The editorimage he defined didn't exist, so it showed up as not found. It is not completely the same as not defining it at all, but I remember that I had to do it on my custom textures to see them in DR. In lighting mode however DR should use the diffuse map.

Well, this can simple be tested. Take a material and remove the qer_editorimage line from it and see what happens.

Btw.: what is that qer in the beginning standing for?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am in the process of creating a display cabinet, which has loot inside. The cabinet has two glass doors that cover the main display area as well as four drawers below that.

If this is possible, my idea is that the display cabinet should require two keys (one for the doors and another for the drawers). It should also be pickable, but this will prove challenging.

How would I go about ensuring that the player is not able to frob through any of the doors so that don't grab the loot inside without having unlocked/picked each respective section?

I am not yet really familiar with the method, but there is a good description on how to make something inside a container unfrobable:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Containers,_Chests,_etc.

EDIT: It seems the link (although copied) doesn't work right, so here the text:

[You can also find it by searching "frob" and "chest" in the wiki, 6th entry I think]

In addition, the above prefabs all have a atdm:target_set_frobable clip brush inside to disable frobbing of loot out of a locked chest. Strictly speaking the body and lid block this anyway but it has been known at certain angles and situations depending on the item size and position to accidentally frob an item out of a closed container. So I play it safe and include the atdm:target_set_frobable. Just drag out a brush to almost fill the interior, give it clip texture and right click in ortho grid view for menu and select 'create entity' and choose: atdm:target_set_frobable entity. This disables frob again if the player puts something into the box too. If using this method you also need to add to BOTH body and lid:

"immune_to_target_setfrobable" "1"

Otherwise, the chest becomes unfrobbable.

The atdm:target_set_frobable is controlled from the LID not the body by adding:

"trigger_on_close" "1" [so it also triggers it when you shut the lid] "target" "JewelleryboxFrobControl_1" [name of atdm:target_set_frobable clip brush.

Edited by DeusXIncognita
  • Like 1

Thanks, guys. I managed to figure it out!

Another issue I'm having concerns readables. I am using the front "guis/readables/books/book_calig_carolingia_smaller.gui" and while all the words are correctly displaying in the Readables Editor, they are getting cut off from the bottom of the page in TDM.

Any suggestions? Should I log a bugtracker?

---*---*---

EDIT:

I have created a custom fireplace, using brushes and patches. While it looks great in-game, there are three issues.

1) For some reason, one of the rectangular brushes has a diagonal "light" line cutting through it. The brush is not cut in any way, so I'm confused as to why this is happening with this specific brush.

2) Despite lining up my patch-work perfectly in DR, for some reason, it appears that two pieces are not properly synced, which has the consequence that the player can see through.

3) I am having the light from the fireplace flames "bleed" through the top of the actual fireplace (it is a func_static, and converting back to worldspawn has no effect).

Help would very much be appreciated! :-)

Edited by Dunedain19

Readables cutting off the last line seems to happen quite a bit. It's been mentioned plenty, but I don't know the fix so I'll leave it for others.

On the fireplace: I think I'd need to see a s/shot of the glitches if you can post or PM one, because there are quite a few possibilities. A couple of suggestions though:

1) Is it a perfect diagonal, i.e. exactly corner to corner? If not, any chance it's light bleed caused by (2) or (3)?

2) Have you stitched your patches together by gridsnapping the adjacent verts together, and (if they are diferent shapes either side of the seam) setting the tesselation to be the same on both sides in the patch inspector?

3) Has your fireplace got a top surface to it, i.e. a surface facing the place there the light is bleeding to? I'm thinking of a big fireplace where the player can't see the top, so it might not have one. Shadows get cast only by surfaces that face away from lights, so you do need a top to a mantlepiece even if it can't be seen, to stop light bleeding through. You could fix it with a shadowcaulk brush, but it shouldn't need one if it's "airtight", i.e. without gaps or holes.

Thanks for highlighting that readable cut off is a common issue. I will just have to increase the number of pages to compensate.

1) Yip.

2) I definitely have snapped the verts to the grid. Will check tesselation tomorrow (or today rather, 2AM where I am...).

3) There is a top piece (brush) and a chimney (that rests on top of that), so I'm flummoxed. Total height of actual fireplace (excluding chimney) is 64 DU.

Concerning the fireplace, I am going to try rebuild it using more patches. Hopefully, this should sort out any issues. If not, I'll PM it to you.

Edited by Dunedain19

r_showTris 1 can be useful for finding out what dmap has actually done with your geometry. Sometimes selectively making only parts of your geometry func_static can stop it subdividing surfaces excessively.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Rebuilt my fireplace using 90% patchwork. It seems to have fixed the "light" bleed I was encountering. There is still a "light" line cut through the exact same area. Using the r_showTris 1 command, I can see that dmap has cut the patch in two. All in all, it's barely noticeable, so I'm going to leave it as is, unless someone comes up with a solution.

From having success with readables, I'm now having a nightmare with setting a simple closed, mobile book. It keeps complaining that num_pages are not defined, and a whole bunch of error messages appear when opening the console in the main menu (things like, "was expecting this but got that on line xyz").

I have painstakingly examined the actual xdata file and everything appears normal and the "same" as the definitions for the other readables (a rolled scroll and an open book).

On another point, the current closed book readable model is the big, dark book - can I simply replace the model with one of the smaller book models?

Any suggestions as to why TDM is giving me grief?

Does your book's text by any chance mix single with double quotes, like this?

bugdemo
{
    precache
    "num_pages"    : "1"
    "page1_left_title"    :
    {
        "\"I'm a bug test case\""
    }
    "page1_left_body"    :
    {
        ""
        ""
        "It seems mixing escaped double quotes with single quotes can cause problems."
        ""
    }
    "page1_right_title"    :
    {
        ""
    }
    "page1_right_body"    :
    {
        ""
    }
    "gui_page1"    : "guis/readables/books/book_calig_mac_humaine.gui"
    "snd_page_turn"    : "readable_page_turn"
}
(At some point I need to add this to the tracker.)

On another point, the current closed book readable model is the big, dark book - can I simply replace the model with one of the smaller book models?

Depends on whether it's a movable or not. Movables have to have collision meshes built into the model and I'm not sure all books do.

and a whole bunch of error messages appear when opening the console in the main menu (things like, "was expecting this but got that on line xyz").

Can you post the lines it's complaining about?

@Springheel

I figured out what the issue is. In the actual readable text, I had included double-apostrophes. When I removed them, this solved the errors that said TDM was "expecting this but got that on line xyz." Their presence was clearly causing a misread of the xdata file.

Should I log a bugtracker, because this will prevent authors from having direct dialogue in their readables, which necessitate the use of double-apostrophes to indicate speech?

@Bikerdude

The thread has gotten slightly derailed...my apologies for that. :unsure: I will endeavour to keep it art asset related, and will post my other queries in the "Newbie" thread.

As a peace offering, below you will find the aforementioned fireplace (keeping the cabinet a secret for now). B)

sc162lunb3tvv516g.jpg

6g65rryb54ku2ry6g.jpg

Edited by Dunedain19
  • Like 4

My experiments still indicate a problem with mixed double and single quotes specifically, i.e. with mixing " (\" in xdata) and '. Replace the title line in my example above with

\"I am a bug test case\"

or

''I am a bug test case''

and it works as expected. But presumably this is a topic for the tracker.

In the meantime, `` and '' might work as substitutes for ", though I can't remember whether all the fonts support `.

That fireplace looks great!

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

\"I am a bug test case\"

Thanks for the tracker. It'll be fixed in the next release. In the meantime, it'll work ok if you can shoehorn an extra single quote somewhere in your message, i.e. make sure you have an even number of them in the text. Not satisfactory I know, but until the fix is released, at least it's one more workaround to choose from!

Edit: agreed, that's a lovely fire :)

Hey Dunedain,

One way I've found to get rid of the sparkly line effect is to add some sub-divisions on the flat surface and then take a green vertex in the center of the patch and push it outwards by one unit. This changes the polygons on the patch, and makes the engine render it properly. Usually the bulge is so slight that it's impossible to notice (and is definitely less noticeable than a sparkly line).

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com