The Dark Mod Forums

How did you first hear about TDM?

Springheel

41 members have voted

1. 1. How did you first learn about TDM?

• On a Thief-related forum (Eidos or TTLG)
    • On a forum other than Eidos/TTLG
    • From a Youtube video
    • From a gaming site.
    • From Facebook.
    • Directly from a friend.

I remember though I heard about it waay back, like in 2007, and saw the preview mission on Youtube (Blackheart Manor - it was never released, to my knowledge - if it was, please, send me a link, because I wanna play it soo badly!).

I believe it is being incorporated into a bigger long-term project...

Yeah, I guess you could sum up my FM (Patently Dangerous) as the one where a guy slaughters hookers. =P If you're like others, some players didn't know to go through windows that didn't look openable, which is why vers. 2 has a big notice about it in the loading screen. Well, live & learn, or I should say build & learn.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I remember though I heard about it waay back, like in 2007, and saw the preview mission on Youtube (Blackheart Manor - it was never released, to my knowledge - if it was, please, send me a link, because I wanna play it soo badly!).

Huh well damn i've never seen this before but I just did a quick youtube search and found it. That briefing looks pretty damn cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bYffXhDHU4

• Like 1

I guess it will be released, although you may have to wait ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I was browsing TTLG in 2010 after nearly 5 years away from gaming. I saw a thread about something called the Dark Mod which sounded pretty compelling. I was absolutely shocked when I realized it was actually playable and not just some ambitious pipe-dream. I mean playing HD Thief with dynamic lighting, improved physics, etc... sounds incredible but designing compelling stealth mechanics in an engine created around shooting demons in the dark is a tall order for a mod team.

Doom 3 and Thief, combined into a fully functional, polished mod? It is a very unlikely combination.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yeah, I guess you could sum up my FM as the one where a guy slaughters hookers. =P If you're like others, some players didn't know to go through windows that didn't look openable, which is why vers. 2 has a big notice about it in the loading screen. Well, live & learn, or I should say build & learn.

I had no problem with the FM, was a pretty good one from what I remember.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I had played a bit of Mount and Blade and found I loved the melee fighting more than anything in that game (also the commanding of your war party, reminded me a bit of goold old General Chaos). I found one of them Elder Scroll games (Oblivion?) in an oxfam store for a couple pounds and tried it out for the combat system, but found it to be just rpg crap (hack and hack, whoever has bigger endurance wins). Looking for mods for it, I found a couple of videos of someone battling builder guards and thought that it looked pretty cool, someone put M&B kind of melee system into a game that actually had a deep singleplayer dimension to it. Came for the FPS sword fighting, stayed for the great missions and map making.

So many of you have arrived in the last few years!

Anyway, since I just rewatched them, here are some of the earliest TDM trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnQ4_cemZjc

This is mostly animation and concept models (some unreleased)... but there are some ingame shots. Almost ten years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFat5CxC6Q

Gameplay is shown, and things are recognisable, more advanced. Eight years ago.

Interestingly, none of the featured maps have been released (and by now, they'd need some updating if they were...). There was also The Way to Blackheart Manor, which I can't find right now, showing more advanced gameplay.

• Like 4

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Somewhere on the internet. But way before it was released. I remember i was quite stunned about the level of object handling, so i guess there already was a video which showed the candle stuff. And the flares the guards were carrying was also quite a big thing for me, as i had only played Thief 1 at that time i think.

Edited by chakkman

I read a short article in a magazine about it and found the first trailers on youtube after that. Considering I bought Doom 3 just to play the beta and never played the game itself is explaining everything, I guess :D . TDM, Nehrim and Lost Alpha became my personal "want have" games very fast and at least the first two kept the high expectations I had for them. To this day I have been waiting for the campaign to be released, and I am still hoping for this to happen within the next two years^^. So keep up the great work guys.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, I can't exactly remember how it went. Thats quite unusual for me, especially since it isn't that long past.

As I pieced it together:

I finally played through the first two Thief games (not owning them myself, some issues with progress in the first one, issues with modern computers and most of all: having problems getting the videos to work always stopped my other attempts. Although I liked the world, since some time after a friend introtuced me to it. Also they were made by great developers.

That was somewhen in 2012 I think.

Deadly Shadows I had played through around when it came out, aware of all its shortcomings.

[After that, somewhere along the road, GoG bundled all those, and since that made avaiable versions, working on modern computers, and also the original english version, they had to be mine]

Sometime later in 2013, i was researching the atmosphere of Thief again, for inspiration. Needless to say the bought games came in very handy here, and it resulted in another playthrough. and as it happens:

The nostalgia hit home, as it comes up every so often when I mourn the times when really good games were made. And somewhere in my head a voice said, that there was another thief game in the making, since I rememberred that from something said in connection to Deus Ex. Human Revolution. I had seen small previews of it, but was not really following it (I promised myself not to get my hopes up). So I did a quick searching around, watched a few videos, was sceptical... and along those searches, readings, videos, ..., longing for a thief fix, somewhere, I must have stumbled over the dark mod.

i can't remember where it was.

And not too soon. Not owning Doom 3, I think I just found it when it went standalone. (My installation hints to End of November 2013)

Playing the training mission, I was hooked after seeing the object manipulation. It was wonderful, in the connection with everything else, but that was the part where it hit me.

I haven't touched the "other" Thief with a 11 Foot Pole since then.

I remember linking TDM to a friend with the words:

Its not Garret - but its definitly THIEF!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

My story is completely mundane and yawn-worthy: I learned about The Dark Mod on TTLG after I joined its forums in the late 2000s. It was specifically about the first bigger demo missions, such as the earlier versions of St. Lucia, etc. (I think I might not have heard of the Den mission back then and only learnt of it much later, possibly just during the last two years).

At the time I first heard of TDM in 2009 and 2010, I didn't pay it much attention. I saw some screenshots, read what there was about it, and thought it looked promising. But I wasn't holding out much hope that it will ever become finished or that easily accessible, as I knew all too well mods and total conversions and fan remakes die all the time and their dev teams lose interest or disperse. Another stumbling block was that I wasn't willing to buy Doom 3 just to run the mod. (Not a Doom fan, and the third installment seemed boring to me, hence my reluctance.)

When I later read about plans to make TDM completely standalone (earlier, I wasn't sure whether the Doom 3 requirement could ever be done away with), my interest rose a lot more. I was very happy to hear the news in autumn 2013, but due to focusing on work qualification stuff related to my job at the time, I couldn't really delve into the game yet. Come the previous autumn, I finally remembered that I wanted to download and try out TDM. Well, and here I am, and hopefully I'll start building my first minor FM soon.

I first heard of TDM on the Wikipedia "List of open-source video games". I was bored and tried out some new games, TDM actually was quite convincing and is the first stealth-based game I have ever played.

Amusingly enough, that's how I learnt of the space sim Orbiter. I don't fool around in it as much as I used to a few years ago, but I still like it a lot, especially some of the newer additions and improvements to the base package.

Edited by Petike the Taffer

My option was not available in the poll.

Back in 2007, I was looking for a "Thief remake" using google.

Found one, obviously. Immediately signed up as a beta mapper. ;)

My story about finding it exactly, minus mapping :)

tzl1l.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me it was last year around late autumn. I believe it was from a conversation on IRC: I was discussing Quake engine forks with people from another FOSS project (I believe it was Xonotic or Darkplaces), and at some point someone mentioned that idTech 4 went open-source a few years ago. Since I loved Doom 3 and the capabilities of its engine, I was immediately hyped and rushed to Google to find out more. I think I saw TDM in one of the search results, and clicked out of curiosity.

Within the next few minutes, I was reality checking myself because I couldn't believe a FOSS game with such amazing graphics and complex mechanics was actually real, and that I could even run it natively on Linux. Once I did, the next several weeks were some of the most fun ones I've had in a good while :D Coincidentally, this happened at a time when I needed something to get me captivated and motivated, as my grandmother had just died a few weeks previously.

• Like 1