The Dark Mod Forums

TTlg: they still need reminding...

Bikerdude

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Actually, I never thought of the character in a FM as Garrett (but in TDM the main character is quite often described as a different person, os that might be the reason for that). But one point mentioned in the original post is actually good: can we change "stats" of our character? So not only voice but perhaps speed or visibilty? It is a good way to introduce variability, if you can introduce some advantages/disantvantages.

Apart from the points already mentioned I would think of jumping height and distance or damage dealt and recieved (ok, that could be changed in the stats of weapons). Hm, ok, there aren't many points that come to my mind right now, but still: is it possible for the mentioned?

Yes, it should be possible. For example, Gerald Foxley (from the Penny Dreadful series) is less sneaky, which makes him stand out more even when hidden (this is a bug I left unfixed and turned into a feature). You could introduce variation to the other parameters as well, although this may not be easy to communicate well to the player. Story and gameplay are the real tools which can give you meaningful variety.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I never think of the character as Garrett or whatever the game designer has called them, I think of the character as me, I don't drive a marionette around, that's me in there

and yes I lean forward in my seat to peer over the bottom of the screen and sideways to get a better view round corners

... I probably need help

• 2 weeks later...

Esme, I had a similar experience playing Descent, my neck hurt a lot after long hours of that game.

One of the most compelling things about TDM is no Garrett, and the ability for anyone to take the toolkit and create their own story. Bridgeport is filled with characters and locations, cities and towns that haven't been thought of yet.

I'm a little late to the party here but...don't worry, no one has forgotten about TDM. I think the simple fact that the original question referenced playing as Garrett, which is a no-no in TDM missions, implies the original poster was speaking exclusively about Thief FMs. It's really not even an option in TDM.

I tend to think some of the TDM "staff" here is a little paranoid about being neglected. Was it really necessarily to post a giant TDM logo in that thread? Don't worry, 90% of Thief players are very aware of TDM and play just about every mission that is released.

I tend to think some of the TDM "staff" here is a little paranoid about being neglected. Was it really necessarily to post a giant TDM logo in that thread? Don't worry, 90% of Thief players are very aware of TDM and play just about every mission that is released.

The impression is not (forgot to incluide this, doh) that we are beging neglected, its that when TDM fan mission's are announced on the ttlg forum there is next to no interest.

Edited by Bikerdude

The impression is that we are beging neglected, its that when TDM fan mission's are announced on the ttlg forum there is next to no interest.

Do a couple vanity searches and you'll find that TDM has reached a very long way. An awful lot of people are avid fans, so don't be surprised that the people at TTLG don't show interest. A lot of people play without posting, and the vast majority aren't signed up to any forum where you'd hear from them without looking. besides I'm not sure why you're surprised given how insular some nostalgic gamers can be

Edited by Airship Ballet

I generally post about TDM missions here rather than there because there's more discussion of them here, but I actually did post in that thread over there before it was linked here it seems.

There does seem to be some people who just don't want to learn a new game or play a new game engine for whatever reason even though the similarities between T1/G/2 and TDM in gameplay are massive. I don't get that.

And a lot of the people on TTLG are already members here, and would probably rather post here on TDM related matters.

The impression is not (forgot to incluide this, doh) that we are beging neglected, its that when TDM fan mission's are announced on the ttlg forum there is next to no interest.

Why is this so surprising? TTLG is a thief forum, and ours is a darkmod forum. So most discussions about TDM missons go on here, and vice verca. I can only second what's been said

• most of our players are probably not members in any forum (neither ours nor theirs), the only reason I've joined the forum was due to a trap convo I wanted to provide a solution for. I'd never joined the forum just to post comments about mission (I do this rarely)
  • if someone reads about a TDM FM release over there, they will probably go here to post a coment, or they simple don't post at all. But this doesn't mean they don't like the missions or are not playing them. As said, I rarely comment on missions, too. And I LOVE TDM

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

When I have something to say about TDM or its missions, I do it either here or on the Codex. I am involved in the respective TTLG threads, but that's mostly to help people with their questions. I think most people who are interested follow this forum.

71w1dSBYIOL._SL1089_.jpg

I just cant stop laughing at this picture. Everytime I see this thread and see that picture I burst out laughing.. I have no idea why.. what voodoo magic have you done on me Airship Ballet?!

Due to snow, was able to stay home and get some computer work done.

As I cannot access TLLG at work, I decided to take a swing by and see what their opinion was of TDM, especially at the onset. ( have not viisted their site for very long time) .

I put darkmod in to the search, and I was very surprised how ttlg was receptive to TDM.

There were numerous congratulatory remarks about it going stand alone, as well as other positive statements about the updates, - other topics gave kudos to the improvement they are seeing over time, and thankful that TDM maintaining the heart, stealth, environment of the original T series.

One topic in response to T4, was said in general light terms about paying a group of people who would do a redo with some engine, but the trouble would be who to recruit to keep it faithful. People there mentioned the "staff" of TDM, and would the TDM staff leave TDM to do a new game if paid. Again, this was light general talk, but to me is showed admiration & appreciation of the team here.

When new TDM fan missions are posted there, - at least from the # of posts I read, quite a few were responding how they were looking forward to playing it. I ran out of time to try to look at their initial comments of TDM, but left the search very pleasantly surprised.

I tried to be "nice" in these forums. I was wrong to assume so.

Bikerdude, TDM missions don't belong in TTLG forums because they are not Thief FMs. TDM missions are TDM missions, and all discussion about them should be in TDM forums. Thief FMs are Thief FMs and should be discussed in the (TTLG) Thief FM forums.

How can you NOT get that?

Yeah, I'm out now. Hate all you want, haters.

Edited by bassmanret

Extremely broad strokes there, hon.

I think he needs to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

Edited by Goldwell