The Dark Mod Forums

TTlg: they still need reminding...

Bikerdude

i can't even see how the upcoming campaign is going to fix that, because it's also made my different mappers who have different tastes and view points.

That's how the campaigns in most games are created. There isn't a single level designer, but a team working on a project...

Something I have never seen though was someone setting out to form a team for the specific purpose of creating a campaign. It would be interesting to see someone skilled in mapping writting a strong plot and attracting people so they can work on a unified project from the ground up, going for that feel of unity some of you guys were talking about.

Someone already tried that! I can't recall his nickname but on his avatar picture he had a small, youngish beard which always annoyed me a bit :P But he was very kind and tried to put a team together, for creating a campaign made by only Dark Radiant beginners! I tried to join it back in the day but the project got laid on ice since there were too many people participating and stopping work after some time, which created gaps. :(

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a very rough canon. It may not be as fleshed out as in the Thief games, but who cares. Mappers get more freedom on the other side. When mapping for Thief, you are not forced to stick to the canon, too. And I don't think it gets pointed out everytime either.

I want to play stealth missions with good mechanics and a story that give me some sense behind what I'm doing. Whether it sticks to some canon or not is completely uninteresting to me, as long as the story is consistent in itself. And as a mapper, I wouldn't want to be restricted story-wise either, I just want to do what I feel comfortable with.

I really think the main reason is as Spring mentioned that the people got used to DromEd. They have spend a long time learning how to use it properly and have improved their skills over the years, so it is understandable that most of them don't want to start from zero again.

We have plenty of new mappers joining TDM, especially since we've gone standalone. We may not release as much FM's as the Thief community does, but who cares. Everything you get here you get for free, so be pleased with what is there.

All I was doing was elaborating on what I felt the missing feeling was, and my example was more aimed towards the "Not really managable in TDM" as just a quick idea of how it could be managed. I also specified in my example of a group making thier own derivative universe so the rules for that could be strict but keeping the main universe free.

• 3 weeks later...

Incredible! I never intended to revisit TDM forums again (as I indicated in my last post), but the multiple responses and discussions since my initial post have proven I was absolutely correct.

I'm not "back" or "here to stay", so please don't get your hopes up for a vigorous debate, I was just stupidly curious.

Have fun. I really don't hate anyone here, I just wish you would stop trying to convince everyone that TDM missions are the same thing as Thief FMs. They are not. That's all. No hate here.

Incredible! I never intended to revisit TDM forums again (as I indicated in my last post), but the multiple responses and discussions since my initial post have proven I was absolutely correct.

I'm not "back" or "here to stay", so please don't get your hopes up for a vigorous debate, I was just stupidly curious.

"I'm buggering off now so you can post angry replies if you want but I won't be around to read them. I will actually come back eventually though, and when I do I'll act like the completely unrelated discussion following my weird interjection was my doing. I just love attention, you see."

Airship Ballet, I guess I expected more civility. I was wrong, and I won't make that mistake again.

[why am I still here? LOL]

It's not very civil to throw out opinions in a discussion forum and close each of them off by saying "I won't bother reading your reply". In a spoken conversation, that'd be about the same level of civility as saying your piece then interrupting the reply with "Whatever!" and turning away. You've done that 3 times in messages posted or quoted on this page of this thread. Stop doing that if you want people to be civil to you.

I am not speaking for everyone here. And please don't take my post too seriously bassmanret. It was just a joke. But I still think you're acting unnecessarily confrontative.

Ok, understood, Baal. My sincere apologies for misunderstood insults. I don't usually see things negatively like that. Again, sorry.

It's not very civil to throw out opinions in a discussion forum and close each of them off by saying "I won't bother reading your reply". In a spoken conversation, that'd be about the same level of civility as saying your piece then interrupting the reply with "Whatever!" and turning away. You've done that 3 times in messages posted or quoted on this page of this thread. Stop doing that if you want people to be civil to you.

SteveL, as I said to Baal, I realize now that I was not being rational, and I do apologize for my behavior. My deepest apologies. I do NOT normally converse in this way.

@bassmanret - Not to beat a dead horse, but it's pretty obvious from your most recent post on TTLG that you have some type of a grudge with TDM. Not sure why, IMO there's no reason TDM and Thief can't co-exist. I never got the impression from anyone here that TDM was ever trying to "replace" Thief, ever. That's something you've manufactured in your mind.

Edited by brethren

Wow, I forgot how much fun this place was! Just decided to look back at some old stuff, and MAN, this old stuff is really fun to revisit! It makes me sad that Thief FMs aren't being released as much as they were in "my day", and that silly TDM missions are trying to replace them (so very sadly unsuccessfully). Old days are gone, as they say.

As this thread suggests, I so sincerely hope that some players continue to enjoy my Thief FMs. I spent a great deal of time, effort, and LOVE working on them.

It saddens me that you would randomly bring your grudge into your own mission thread.

Whoa, I mirrored it 5 years ago, that's a blast from the past.

Edited by jaxa

maybe its time to lock it...

That would be a good idea! These types of threads only bring narcissism and there's already plenty of that in the world.

Locking threads is only done as a last resort. If no one cares about posting further, then the thread will close itself.