The Dark Mod Forums

Dying Light open world stealth

Fidcal

Anyone playing Dying Light? Zombies with stealth gameplay? Just starting this yesterday and it's better than I expected. I'm playing on PC with xbox360 controller.

Pros:

First person (only) so definitely adds to the immersion and tension. There is body awareness - you can see your feet below and your arms and hands when mantling or using stuff. Works for me. Dunno if that can be disabled.

Line of sight and distance stealth (not yet got to nighttime when the whole game becomes harder and I think and the zombies can see you better from what I've read. So, as far as I can tell, hiding in shadows won't help. btw Velvet Assassin has a rudimentary light gem equivalent but I've shelved that right at the start while I play Dying Light. I actually ghosted the first mini-mission outside but I don't know if that will always be possible for all missions. I'm currently faced with trying to rescue someone trapped in a building with zombies out front. I've reached there about 3 times and still trying to circle around to find a way in without a full frontal assault but not made it so far.

Mantling is EXCELLENT! This is like Thief/TDM but set in a huge open modern apocalyptic city with tons of stuff to freely climb, jump, etc. It feels much like TDM, roughly look at a ledge or wall top and mantle up. If it's only a few inches of board or beam then instead you automatically grip it and can strafe (?) left and right and jump to something else in any direction, up, down, behind you, whatever. Slight downside is that jumping removes crouch so you can't scramble over rubble and keep crouching you have to remember to recrouch. In addition ladders and poles you can climb but these are more selective - move close and you get a key hint to grab hold so I guess that's the equivalent of a highlight. But the normal mantling works on anything climbable just as in Thief/TDM!

Graphics are GREAT! Photo-realistic with much more detail than Grand Theft Auto 5 but whereas in GTA5 you can mostly only see the outer shells of buildings and can't enter much, in DL, you can enter most places and search for useful stuff.

Lockpicking: Only briefly tried this and broke my pick real quick but it looks okay. On the xbox controller you rotate a screwdriver with one stick and the pick with another and avoid the vibes which threaten it's about to break. It appears to be a subgame screen - though I did hear a zombie groan nearby which scared the shite out of me because I wasn't sure.

Sounds: really good, creepy.

Tension: WOW! I'm looking over my shoulder all the while! btw there is a fov widener if, like me, you feel you want a wider vision.

Cons:

No leaning round corners.

No shadow hiding (I don't think.)

No selective gamesaves, no quicksave. It's all save points. This is a pain. So far it seems you have to complete a mission without a save! Also, I damaged my only weapon - a rusty pipe - so it's ineffective. Yet even though when I reloaded in a new session and had to play the mission again, the weapon was still damaged! (even though it happened before I died!) I'm going to search for a gamesave manager I read about somewhere, see if that helps.

Hud is subjective. I'm okay with it. Reasonably discrete. Mini-map in corner with objective location. You can also press a key for special vision which for a few seconds reveals a few things including the objective location actually in the scene so you can see better where to head. I think at night it also reveals hidden zombies.

I'll post a bit more when I've progressed a bit...

• Like 2

It is the PC version I'm playing - just the xbox controller plugged in. There was a save bug but I found a fix on the net. Without it, no saves can be reloaded. That is, it does save but wouldn't load. So test that first, maybe search and download the fix before you get the game ready?

Well, I managed to finish the first main mission and I reached it by stealth across rooftops, balconies, etc. (okay, I was seen a couple of times and ran, but I think it could have been ghosted.) But once there, you are forced as part of the objective to beat 2 or 3 zombies to death. I'd have preferred a sniper rifle with silencer, then I could have taken them out from a nearby roof. :D

Just found the main map which I missed b4 - not bad. It shows the area where you start the mission and the target and this area is fairly large but outside that, the map is darkened and you can only faintly see the size of the city - maybe the size of GTA5 city without the countryside - hard to tell. I don't know if that means you are blocked from going to the shaded areas until you get new missions; I'll have to test that. You can place a marker rather like GTA5 if you need to flag something for any reason.

Most game dont require a major upgrade, but this game's min/recomended specs are quite high -

min:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 @3.3 GHz / AMD FX-8320 @3.5 GHz
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 / AMD Radeon HD 6870 (1GB VRAM)
  • OS: Windows 7 64-bit / Windows 8 64-bit / Windows 8.1 64-bit

Recomended:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350 @4.0 GHz
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 / AMD Radeon R9 290 (2GB VRAM)
  • OS: Windows 7 64-bit / Windows 8 64-bit / Windows 8.1 64-bit Video Card:

What are you system specs Jim and where are you located..?

Of those the only bit I won't meet is the graphics card as my GTX650Ti will do for a bit longer as my monitor is only 1680 x 1050

Although I will probably go for the i5-4690K which is about the same price or even cheaper than the i5-4670K

To be honest I am in no rush

I am waiting to see what the release date is for Windows 10 (possibly June for system builders) as I want to keep the existing system with Win7 64 bit as a back up - if nothing else to replace my better half's XP machine so will look at buying a Win 10 license in the initial sale

Basically I will remove the existing m/board, CPU and memory (perhaps even the sound card) from my present case and put them in my old case which has a Tagen TG480-U01 PSU which is more than capable along with an 8800GT graphics card which is sitting in my spares box and then build the new one in the main case an Akasa Eclipse 62 with a new large quiet cooler

Of course when Win 10 is nearly due to come out it may be worth buying Win 8.1 and use the free upgrade. The only thing which is a worry about that option is that it appears that the upgrade will effectively have an OEM license judging by the information which has been released up to now

Edited by Oldjim

The only thing which is a worry about that option is that it appears that the upgrade will effectively have an OEM license judging by the information which has been released up to now

I don't follow, you mean the Win 10 licence will be an oem licence..? MS can't enforce the oem bullshit to a specific machine when said machine is a homebuilt unit. They have been trying that shit for years and fail, because all it takse is for a mobo to die & be replaced and windows want to reauthenticate. I have to do the phone-auth thing every time I rebuild my PC etc.

I haven't been stealthing it up much but the game is fun as hell. I really am enjoying it. The story is eh..so so.. good enough, but the gameplay is just fun as hell and its difficult to stop playing.

Also if you haven't already, play with a friend/friends through the campaign. It is amazingly fun to play through the campaign in co-op! :D

Also if you haven't already, play with a friend/friends through the campaign. It is amazingly fun to play through the campaign in co-op! :D

When playing coop, does each person require its own copy of the game or is it enough if one person (the hoster so to say) owns the game.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

My only Con for this game is the save system but not the save system as a whole. For the most part it works fine. Adds challenge and when/if you go on a run, you need to have a successful run. If you die, you die. I like that.

What I don't like but have worked around is the same thing I just mentioned. When you gain points in agility/survivor/power running around doing things/getting in to trouble/etc. you're carrying all these points around with you. If you die, you lose them all.

It will teach you though, not to do anything stupid if you're carrying around a ton of points. You can, which I've come to realize, stop at any Safe House and sleep till night/sleep till day and it will claim all the points you have accumulated.

So basically, if you're going to go do something risky, you should sleep and cash in your points, otherwise you risk losing them. Its kinda nice I guess because it does bring in a "fear of loss" kind of mechanic.

I just wish you didn't have to sleep to cash them in. I wish you could just go to a safe zone and save. Saving is fast on ssd and load times in general are fast (about 4 seconds) so that's not the issue.

Just, when you are running around in the night and want to continue to, you have to go to safe zone, sleep to claim points, then when you wake up its daytime again. So you have to sleep again so its night again. Kinda redundant but it only takes a second and once you get used to it, its not really a big deal.

I didn't even realize there wAS stealth in the game until I was on the huge suspension bridge.... cars wrecked everywhere and zombies everywhere it was insane. I found out that if you crouch and just move between the cars, they barely know you're there. I was shocked that with everything else in the game there actually was a stealth mechanic. In any case, once one spots you and starts making noise its time to run for your life but anyway...it is a great gaming experience and something I'll always remember.

Rage...rage...against the dying..of the light!

Thanks, Lux, I'll have to watch out for that points thing.

My problem is when set the car traps I wasted all my firecrackers trying to figure out the best way to use them. Now I need some for a 'boss' zombie when I fix the power switch thing. I ran back to the quartermaster but he didn't have any. I started to work out how to make them and think if I can find some 'kitchen supplies' (whatever that means) I might be able to make some. But aren't there any to find anywhere that you know of?

Finding them I don't think will happen. You can craft them or unlock "some" safehouses have a merchant. There should be a merchant on the ground floor of the tower too. Same floor as the quartermaster. I'm pretty sure he sells firecrackers as well.

I just got my cash up enough and bought all he had so I've always just had 99+ firecrackers. They are an essential tool throughout the game for sure.

Edited by Lux

I didn't know there was a merchant there as well, I'll check it out because I just saved at the tower so I can do it quick next session. thanks.

btw, I got past that big zombie a different way, I let him chase me around the building then I climbed on the roof and crouched to the front again. He actually got kind of stuck behind something, crates or whatever, so I was free to do the biz without crackers! Nice to know there is sometimes more than one way to skin a zombie...

Yeah, sometimes, the stealth reminds me of those Thiefy missions with undead, haunts and so on in Haunted Cathedral etc.

I've just started playing this after a fellow TTlg'r unexpectedly gifted me a copy for helping him out with a tech build.

Can anyone recommend a good tweak guide for this game, as I am seeing what I think is a texture streaming stutter which I can remove but turning vsync off.

My system specs:

• Core i7 3770 @stock
  • GTX 970 @ Stock & 344.75 driver
  • 16GB DDR3-1600
  • Samsung SSD (256gb 840 EVO)
  • Soundblaster Z series - fairly upto date driver
  • Win7 x64 Sp1

And is it me or some of the sounds straight out of Stalker..? this game so far is like Stalker meets Mirrors Edge meets The last of us.

Don't know about any tweak advice. I had only a few minor 'tugs' on the graphics for a couple of days but yesterday evening during a really hectic run through a heavily-zombie-infested area, it really began to hang for seconds before recovering. Mind you, I had set most of the settings on max. I turned most down then it seemed okay and without any noticeable loss of quality that bothered me yet. Mine is:

I7-2600K 3.4Ghz

GTX580

16GB

Win7 64bit

Rage...rage...against the dying..of the light!

:D \oo/

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Don't know about tweak advice either as I'm playing on 3 screen nv surround with a single 780gtx. I have to play with vsync off along with a few other settings off. AO/motion blur (yuck)/Nv DOF but runs on high everything else with AA on 2x.

There are Dying Light Nv drivers out. Are you using them?