The Dark Mod Forums

Dying Light open world stealth

Fidcal

When playing coop, does each person require its own copy of the game or is it enough if one person (the hoster so to say) owns the game.

This really is available in germany?? Steam says yes but I read that they will put it on the list soon.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

After a few days play I'm finding that, while the stealth is good, many of the objectives force you to fight which is a shame. It would be better if one could find an alternate stealthy approach even if it took longer.

Anyway, I'm finding the melee fighting difficult when forced to fight a lot of undead (such as when they are all in the compound around the objective!) I'm looking to build up throwing weapons to see if I can do better. Wish I'd known at the start. I recommend anyone starting the game, to take their time and gather up as much 'stuff' as possible from chests and so on then sell it in the shops in safe zones so you can then buy a decent stock of weapons. I think the chests respawn - hope so, because I need to shelve the objective while I go scavenging.

I've found the gamesave file now. I should have done that from the start so I can keep backing it up and restore an earlier one if needed, because everything is lost. It's not like Thief and Dark Mod where you can try stuff out and if you fail then reload. If you drop flares and throw stars but run out, you can't just reload and repeat - all your stuff is lost when resuming. So, say you accumulate 30 throwing stars and 20 flares (do they even work in the day?) but use them up, there's no reload, and dying puts you back at the start minus all your hard-earned stuff! That sucks.

This really is available in germany?? Steam says yes but I read that they will put it on the list soon.

Indizierung bedeuted nur, dass man es nicht bewerben oder in Läden sichtbar ausliegen haben darf. Rezensionen und Verkauf sind dennoch gestattet. Es gibt (noch) keine Zensur in Deutschland.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Dorset but I will definitely be going Intel with a Gigabyte H97 HD3 or Z97 HD3 motherboard depending on the prices at the time

If you're going to go with the K model cpu, don't buy the H motherboard, get the Z, otherwise you won't be able to overclock and will have wasted a bunch of cash on that K.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I am going for the K cpu because of the much improved thermal interface layer giving significantly lower maximum temperature

I did go into overclocking when I built my first gaming rig but I haven't bothered since

Actually the price difference isn't that much for the same base clock speed

4690K £190

4690S £178

Edited by Oldjim

I don't remember what the S model does, what's the price difference between a 4690K and a 4690 (if this exists?)

Installed said driver yesterday, but back on to the subject.

Im 20hrs in, at level 13, 15% main story -

• created all the safe houses/places,
  • got a crafted/upgraded machette that can kill biters and virals with a single swipe, most of the time I get the bullet time cinematic kill.
  • a shotgun and police rifle ,
  • and figured out I can kill those damn Volatiles/Nightcrawlers from a distance with 4 exploding throwing stars to the head.

Loving this game.

1. Anyway, I'm finding the melee fighting difficult when forced to fight a lot of undead (such as when they are all in the compound around the objective!)
  2. I'm looking to build up throwing weapons to see if I can do better. Wish I'd known at the start.
  3. I recommend anyone starting the game, to take their time and gather up as much 'stuff' as possible from chests and so on then sell it in the shops in safe zones so you can then buy a decent stock of weapons.
  4. I think the chests respawn - hope so, because I need to shelve the objective while I go scavenging.
  5. I've found the gamesave file now. I should have done that from the start so I can keep backing it up and restore an earlier one if needed, because everything is lost.
  6. If you drop flares and throw stars but run out, you can't just reload and repeat - all your stuff is lost when resuming. So, say you accumulate 30 throwing stars and 20 flares (do they even work in the day?) but use them up, there's no reload,
  7. and dying puts you back at the start minus all your hard-earned stuff! That sucks.
  1. The machete is the first melee weapon that is a positive joy to use, but just like in TDM you have to aim for the head to get a nice clean head slicing. With careful planning Im am pretty much killing everything in my path.
  2. Yes totally, its a exploit/bug in the game but you can carry as many exploding throwing stars, molotaves as you like - I currently have 74 stars and 62 molatove's atm, but all ways scavenge everything and everywhere repeatedly.
  3. Yes 110%, at the start you work close to the tower building up inventory, cash, weapons. Then start doing side quests, but carefully. When I got high enough and had enough exploding stars and a shotgun I cleared out all the biohazard zones in 2 game days.
  4. yes they do, so you can scavenge the same places over and over again. Some people might thing that's poor coding, but the way to look at it is there are other runners and survivors through out the city. Some of the places your scavenging from might well be their drops etc.
  5. The beauty in this game is once you get high enough dying isnt so bad, but conversely not being able to save has made me far more careful when doing a quest or entering a building.
  6. Flares are pointless outside in the daylight, but work in any dark places regardless of the time of day. Zaid's flares (you have to do a side quest to learn how to make them) last longer than normal UV flares.
  7. Not necessarily, depending on what your level is and what you were doing at the time, traversing the city, doing a side or main quest you only loose some survivor points and get teleported to the nearest safe house.

So has anyone done the task to get to the top of one of the towers on the suspension bridge? Like most normal people I have a healthy fear of heights, but Jesus this is the first game that's made extremely anxious as I was climbing up the side of support tower. Just looking down made me slightly queasy and my sphincter tighten.

Also its nice to see the amount of zombies reduce over all, as it would be if the remaining survivors were cleaning up etc.

I don't remember what the S model does, what's the price difference between a 4690K and a 4690 (if this exists?)

Basically the 4690K has a 3.5 GHz base speed 3.9 GHz Turbo

The 4690S is the same

As far as I can tell there isn't a base model as such - it appears that the 4690s is the base model although it is only the Haswell Refresh which has the 3.5GHz speed whereas the earlier version was 3.2 GHz

The 4690T has a 2.5 GHz base speed 3.5 GHz Turbo but is TDP 45 watts so a low power variant and is more expensive

Phew! I've played an hour or two every day starting last Sunday and all I've got are still friggin' gas pipes and a few stars I can't aim because the crosshair is invisible to me. I think it's just a single dot. I thought GTA5 was bad in that regard but in this I see no cursor at all and I set it on.

• Also its nice to see the amount of zombies reduce over all, as it would be if the remaining survivors were cleaning up etc.

Really? They don't respawn? Is that just the plain vanilla zombies or does that include the toads and those fast night jumpers whose name I forget? But I've seen zombies respawn - or was that just because I'd not completed that objective? The one I'm struggling with is Rais's 1st objective to activate a tower in a compound. There are a handful of zombies in there plus one of those big ones, plus a toad on the roof plus two more inside the building which I assume you need to go in. Oh yeah, there's another zombie on the side roof. I killed that zombie a couple of times but it's still there. No matter where I am when I quit, when I reload the game next session I am on that roof with that zombie. I'm pretty useless at melee - I'm more your sneaky sniper type of player.

btw at 3 mins to 9 pm my left wrist swung up to show me the time is approaching nightfall. That never happened on the days b4 (perhaps I was running for cover.) I'd prefer to be able to trigger that rather than look in the menu clock. Maybe it's because I'm using an xbox360 pad - perhaps I should switch to keyboard for a minute to see what keys might do that I'm missing.

1. Phew! I've played an hour or two every day starting last Sunday and all I've got are still friggin' gas pipes and a few stars

I can't aim because the crosshair is invisible to me. I think it's just a single dot. I thought GTA5 was bad in that regard but in this I see no cursor at all and I set it on.

Really? They don't respawn? Is that just the plain vanilla zombies or does that include the toads and those fast night jumpers whose name I forget? But I've seen zombies respawn - or was that just because I'd not completed that objective?

The one I'm struggling with is Rais's 1st objective to activate a tower in a compound. There are a handful of zombies in there plus one of those big ones, plus a toad on the roof plus two more inside the building which I assume you need to go in. Oh yeah, there's another zombie on the side roof. I killed that zombie a couple of times but it's still there. No matter where I am when I quit, when I reload the game next session I am on that roof with that zombie.

I'm pretty useless at melee - I'm more your sneaky sniper type of player.

btw at 3 mins to 9 pm my left wrist swung up to show me the time is approaching nightfall. That never happened on the days b4 (perhaps I was running for cover.) I'd prefer to be able to trigger that rather than look in the menu clock.

1. Your weapons will improve as your survivor level increases, 13 is where the mojo started working for me.

its a dot and make sure its enabled in the main menu.

its more a case of there are less zombies around as I make my way around the city.

The big ones in the orange jumpsuit are easy once you have exploding throwing stars, just press and hold your use key and a cursor appears above the zombie's head - then release and do the same thing once more = dead killer zombie :-) if you cant figure it out I will make a small vid showing how

I just aim the same way I do in TDM when I want to kill a haunt in one hit, while standing towards to zombie and the zombie gets within thier own striking distance I swing. The thing to be aware of is the only melee weapons worth considering are the knife base ones. Baseball , cricket, pipes, etc are all no where near as effective as a big sharp pointy thing (big knife, scythe, hatchet, machete, you get the idea)

ah cool, I read about this but its never happened as I am well inside a safe zone by 7pm. The Dying light manager allows you to do this, but the download link is offline atm.

Oh well, I've not seen any big blades anywhere yet but I'll watch out for them.

If you get caught out in the night then temporarily boost the game gamma (it's like night vision) and wait it out on a secure ledge or big warehouse roof or something - it's only 7 minutes. Mind you, it goes totally black during storms and I'm reluctant to use my flashlight out of doors. I assume that would attract them - maybe it doesn't?

Basically the 4690K has a 3.5 GHz base speed 3.9 GHz Turbo

The 4690S is the same

As far as I can tell there isn't a base model as such - it appears that the 4690s is the base model although it is only the Haswell Refresh which has the 3.5GHz speed whereas the earlier version was 3.2 GHz

The 4690T has a 2.5 GHz base speed 3.5 GHz Turbo but is TDP 45 watts so a low power variant and is more expensive

I did a quick google and it seems the 4690 is the base version, the 4690S is the lower power/perf version, and the K is still the overclocking option. The S isn't much slower than the base/K, so it's still a solid choice, and if you're picking either the base or the S, the H motherboard will be just fine. If you're going with the K for the thermal reason listed above, I see no reason not to get the Z motherboard just in case you decide you want to overclock down the line. All 3 chips should perform fine though.

Edited by Xarg

I'm reluctant to use my flashlight out of doors. I assume that would attract them - maybe it doesn't?

Im too shit scared to use a flashlight around them, but if the feild of vision indicator is anything to go buy they maybe cant see the torchlight. Currently I am trying to sneak up on a bolterto get a flesh sample, managed it once but only because there were hardly any biters around to stop me from sneaking around the back etc.

@Jim/Xarg, you need to take the hardware upgrade convo to the tech supp section.

I did a quick google and it seems the 4690 is the base version, the 4690S is the lower power/perf version, and the K is still the overclocking option. The S isn't much slower than the base/K, so it's still a solid choice, and if you're picking either the base or the S, the H motherboard will be just fine. If you're going with the K for the thermal reason listed above, I see no reason not to get the Z motherboard just in case you decide you want to overclock down the line. All 3 chips should perform fine though.

I started here but misread it slightly http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/cpus-intel/core-i5-socket-1150-%28haswell%29and it is certainly confusing

It appears that the 4690S is 3.2GHz 65w TDP The 4690 is 3.5GHz 84w The 4690T is 2.5GHz but really low power at 45w

So the basic 4690 - which matches the 4690K for performance and is £16 cheaper although the price difference was less last time I checked

Going back to your original question the H or Z series motherboards the price gap there has increased again so it is a case of wait and see although I will certainly go for the K series because of the improved cooling and may indeed go for the Z series given the total cost of the rebuild including a decent sized SSD as the boot drive

[snip]... dying puts you back at the start minus all your hard-earned stuff! That sucks.

I actually like how they've done this. It makes it more difficult and more realistic in my mind. I don't know if you noticed or not but there are no difficulty levels. There are mechanics like you've mentioned here though that make the game more punishing.

Reminds me more of older games and less of newer games which if you ask me, is a good thing, unless you're talking about Dark Souls which also did this in a more 'classic' way and similar to Dying Light.

Im too shit scared to use a flashlight around them, but if the feild of vision indicator is anything to go buy they maybe cant see the torchlight. Currently I am trying to sneak up on a bolterto get a flesh sample, managed it once but only because there were hardly any biters around to stop me from sneaking around the back etc.

Hehe, I run with my flashlight on at night, and YES they can and do see it. They also hear your loud footsteps, and loud landings on roofs, etc. BUT I have been able to get my bearings, turn flash light on, sprint like hell to the next "waypoint" I've picked on the map and then right when I get there, I shut the flash light off and remain still. It seems to stump them an the sounds they were following disappear and they go back in to searching around. I do that in bursts to get where I'm going. Seeems to work pretty well.

I've also ran right past and bumped in to them while running (with my flashlight off) and they search around quickly afterward but you're long gone in to the darkness. It just sucks not being able to see where you're going.

I'm not a fan of upping the gamma to some unrealistic level though. Makes everything look wonky and then when the day comes everything is overly bright.

I started here but misread it slightly http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/cpus-intel/core-i5-socket-1150-%28haswell%29and it is certainly confusing

It appears that the 4690S is 3.2GHz 65w TDP The 4690 is 3.5GHz 84w The 4690T is 2.5GHz but really low power at 45w

So the basic 4690 - which matches the 4690K for performance and is £16 cheaper although the price difference was less last time I checked

Going back to your original question the H or Z series motherboards the price gap there has increased again so it is a case of wait and see although I will certainly go for the K series because of the improved cooling and may indeed go for the Z series given the total cost of the rebuild including a decent sized SSD as the boot drive

Sounds good :) think we should stop hijacking the thread now though, and my curiosity has been sated. Good luck with your new machine!

I actually like how they've done this. It makes it more difficult and more realistic in my mind. I don't know if you noticed or not but there are no difficulty levels. There are mechanics like you've mentioned here though that make the game more punishing.

Reminds me more of older games and less of newer games which if you ask me, is a good thing, unless you're talking about Dark Souls which also did this in a more 'classic' way and similar to Dying Light.

*cough* DayZ *cough*, Dark Souls at least lets you keep your equipment.

Yeah, but Lux, you turn down the gamma as it starts to get light - just as you would switch off night vision goggles if they were provided.

Regarding, loss of stuff - I hear what you're saying and I can see the attraction, but this is what happens for me. I enter the compound with a supply of ammo. I use it all up and escape then quit. Next session it starts me in the compound with no ammo. That would be great if it restarted me there with the ammo - OR - it let me start where I escaped to without the ammo. Either way makes sense but to start me in the compound each time with no possibility of success is annoying.

Anyway, it's not a deal breaker for me - I just need to adjust. Everybody's different. I just read a review criticising the 'parkouring' - what I'd call mantling, scrambling, climbing, running. But I reckon DL has the best of any game I've ever played. You can run, scrabble, leap frantically for your life in almost any direction and realistically get over obstacles with just the right amount of tension and fear. It's almost dreamlike! Try GTA5 - the climbing is really poor by comparison (plus most buildings are mere solids.)

Yeah, you can't just "quit". You need to get to a safe zone and sleep. Similar to the bonfires in Dark Souls.

I actually once did a jump and then rotated 180 degrees with the mouse while going over a wall or a post (can't recall which) and it actually appeared that my left hand came out and I spun around on it like a gymnist! I tried to do it again but couldn't figure out exactly what I'd done.

I agree with you. I love the characters motion and the feel and visual feedback they give the player too. Its a lot of fun.

Falling is fun too especially when you have the fall damage reduction stuff and you fall off a street light to the road and you die! LOL. Its like....oops! tooo far!

Another top tip, make use of the grapple once you get to level 14. I have assign ed the change equipmjent to mouse scroll and equipment use to middle mouse button.

I can run, jump and grapple so fast now I can get to the air drops before anyone else.

I use 1-4 for weapons and 5-8 for items. Lightning quick for me :)

I tried to do that parkour challenge thing like 30 times before I even knew there WAS a grappling hook! ...you can imagine my frustration. Heheh. I was like, "HOW IN THE HELL CAN I GET UP THERE FAST ENOUGH??!?!?!?"

Then I heard there was a grappling hook and I was like, DOH!

Apparently there is a bit in the .ini file for Oculus Rift too (set to off). I'll be playing through this again after the consumer OR comes out. That will be such a trip.

Edited by Lux

just press and hold your use key and a cursor appears above the zombie's head - then release and do the same thing once more = dead killer zombie :-) if you cant figure it out I will make a small vid showing how
  1. I just aim the same way I do in TDM when I want to kill a haunt in one hit, while standing towards to zombie and the zombie gets within thier own striking distance I swing. The thing to be aware of is the only melee weapons worth considering are the knife base ones. Baseball , cricket, pipes, etc are all no where near as effective as a big sharp pointy thing (big knife, scythe, hatchet, machete, you get the idea)

There are a handful of zombies in there plus one of those big ones, plus a toad on the roof plus two more inside the building which I assume you need to go in.

Right here yer go Fids, "How to kill a Zombie in one slice"

http://youtu.be/4ahAaSVJYj0

Sorry, mate, but it won't let me see the vid unless I create a Google account. I don't want anything to do with those people tracking me. I'd rather face a real zombie! Latest news is that Google are 'backing' a company that collects our DNA. In a few years time they'll be collecting our souls.

Nice video, Biker.

I have like 85k in cash right now and have never bought a weapon from the shops. If I did buy one (cause I keep looking for one) it would be ORANGE. Orange weapons have 5 repairs and that's the only way I'm spending that much cash on weapon, then pop a bunch of condition upgrades on it so it lasts a long while and you get your monies worth. Otherwise theres just too many weapons to pick up everywhere particularly if you're doing airdrops frequently. Raises men usually have high damage weapons.

I generally use throwing stars to dispatch those green ball puking enemies (I hate them as well). It doesn't make noise like the rifle, and doesn't bring in the Virals. I do use the rifle rarely to headshot a Rais guy because it brings in the virals and then Rais's men have to deal with them too.

Add me on steam if you like and we can maybe get together and play some 3 player co-op? Would be fun! I've played with my brother and brother-in-law and its a riot.