The Dark Mod Forums

Dying Light open world stealth

Fidcal

Sorry, mate, but it won't let me see the vid unless I create a Google account. I don't want anything to do with those people tracking me. I'd rather face a real zombie! Latest news is that Google are 'backing' a company that collects our DNA. In a few years time they'll be collecting our souls.

doh, I enabled age restriction by mistake. Try it now

http://youtu.be/4ahAaSVJYj0

Add me on steam if you like and we can maybe get together and play some 3 player co-op?

Done.

Ok, thanks. Looks good. Can't wait to get to that level. Meanwhile, I'm still scavenging dustbins. Never thought collecting string could be such fun! :D Actually, having gone back to pure scavenging, I found it more enjoyable than the compound mission. Still, I'm accumulating stars so hopefully I'll have enough to go back there soon.

btw I had no sound with the vid. Was that me or or the vid?

btw I had no sound with the vid. Was that me or or the vid?

That must be you as I am hearing sound, I've sent you a PM btw as Lux just introduced me to the Joy of Co-op multi-player in this game.

Lux explained how this game implements different types of multi-player, the one I used with Lux and can with other players is where one or the other person starts a normal single player game, and then invites the other player to join. The other player can then be your buddy and help you kill monsters, gain skill points, level up and even provide hints etc.

The only thing we have to be aware of is due to a bug in the game, is the person with the lowest story completed percentage has to be the one to invite the other person. Currently I am on 26% story (on 54Hrs of playtime) so if you are the lower then me then you invite me and or visa versa.

I will have to do a shadowplay vid of you and me playing B)

that was you - the commentary was worth listening to as well

Yer, there are a lot of British voice actors in this game so my colourful use of the English language fits right in :laugh:

Vertigo:

Well, I finally got enough stars to take out those zombies and climb the two transmitter towers. My palms were sweating near the top! The second tower I nearly gave up on. There was no obvious way to go halfway up. But the game 'cheats'. You have to jump to the vertical power grid. Now I tried that lower down and it doesn't work. I also tried it higher a couple of times and it didn't work. And I thought I recalled climbing one at the first tower but it highlighted like a ladder. So I gave up on that and wasted so much time trying to climb some other way. I eventually worked it out backward. I could see the platform to get to so I gave that vertical grid another look. It seemed up to lead to the right place so this time I jumped across to it but higher and it worked. That makes no sense that it didn't work lower down though so I'm a bit annoyed at that.

Fun with torchlight:

Did you know you can kill zombies with your torchlight? Well, sort of indirectly. They are drawn to where it shines. If you stand up on the parapet out front of Rais's garrison where the couple guards stand sentry you can see a spiky oil drum and a couple of spiky blocks. If you shine your light there and be patient you can lure zombies that way. Sometimes they look like they are trying to swat the light in the air. It's a bit like when they wave threateningly at you when you are up high but this time they may be facing away. They are stupid enough that if you keep them there they harm themselves on the spikes and fall over. Often they get caught up around the back because of the other debris so they can't easily move away. When they get up again the spike themselves over and over until they die. One of the guys in the yellow protective suit died instantly on a spike.

Listening to that video was hilarious! I kept thinking of the Average Jack character. "You can't blame that one on me...I wasn't even there! I've got to be level 10 before I can even buy the damn thing!"

:laugh:

• Like 1

Listening to that video was hilarious! I kept thinking of the Average Jack character. "You can't blame that one on me...I wasn't even there! I've got to be level 10 before I can even buy the damn thing!"

:laugh:

Same for me! I was watching the video and I was like "What the... This voice sounds so familiar!" I didn't know that the average jack voice set was done by biker - it is one of my favourite voice sets btw.. ;) Haha wow I really thought biker would sound differently, but now I know of his angelic voice, haha! :D

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

The game seems very easy, or are you playing under a low difficulty level?

And yeah, your voice is ...uhm.... cute :laugh:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

And is it worth the money?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The game seems very easy, or are you playing under a low difficulty level?

There are no difficulty levels in the game. You just play.

Daytime is easy to medium depending on what you do or don't do to "get in to"/"keep yourself out of" sticky situations. Night time is difficult but you can choose not to go out at night.

Can the Dark Mod team please do let's play videos of TDM fan missions? Would be nice to see them playing while they see them as ai in game. I really can't get over bikers voice / video... :) :) :)

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Finally made it through to the Old Town area and this is sumptuous with a kind of Victorianesque Mediterranean look to the city that feels more Thiefy. Not that the stealth is as good as Thief but in many sections it definitely feels that way.

If only it had Dark Mod's minimal ambient light where you could hide in shadows, etc. it would be much greater. As it is, there are times when areas are totally black and you can't see anything but the enemy can see you! That is just plain daft. Yes, you have a torch but that draws the enemy like a magnet.

I now think this engine could make the perfect Thief game if it had true Thief/TDM stealth. Huge open free areas to roam. The mantling/climbing is the greatest in any game ever and virtually anything can be climbed if it looks reasonable. The only improvement that could be made to that is Dark Mod's low mantling which I call scrambling. That enables the player to move smoothly over low debris fields without noisy jumping or visible standing.

The grappling hook lets you connect with any climbable edge and zoom across or up to it. That works well in this game. In Thief it would be too fast. Replace it with rope arrows you can shoot horizontally and slide down if they slope away or hand hold up if they slope up and that would be perfect.

You virtually live on the roofs in this game but some of the undead can climb fast too so you need to keep out of sight as much as possible. The Toad is the equivalent of a Burrick or Belcher, and belches toxic vomit at you, while other larger zombies can throw chunks of concrete. In one roof fight I saw a car land upside down close by - dunno what threw it but how else could it be on the roof?

Lockpicking is real time (so you can still be attacked) but a sub-screen with a common keyhole and picks. It's excellent but make that keyhole show on the chest or door so you can glance around without losing your position and it would be ideal.

Body awareness works well for me but I guess it should be optional for the 'perfect' game.

Foliage is the most perfect and natural I've ever seen with no jaggies, wind movement incredible (synched with wind sound) and glorious views.

Swimming (surface or underwater) is reasonable but feels slightly sluggish (but then I got used to GTA5 with double speed cheat so maybe it's just me.) Certainly the underwater controls are better than GTA5 which were rather odd.

Open water itself is not as good as GTA5 (which is the best I've ever seen) nor even as good as Skyrim. It's okay but looks rather oily and glassy (some of it is oily of course, toxic and septic and so on.) Puddles though are really excellent with false reflections.

Get rid of the forced fight objectives though for Thief - but that's just level design anyway. Oh, and include a proper gamesave. Those two things were the main frustration for me. Having to replay the same section over and over while your survival points, ammo and weapon condition dwindle away is plain irritating. There are objectives here which are impossible the first time and you need to keep dying to find out how to proceed. I abandoned one optional objective but another was mandatory and was annoying after 15 or 20 attempts.

But the good outweighs the bad, and I don't think it would take much to make the ultimate stealth game with this engine. It could be a game with scores of objectives and you could play slowly for months - all year. It's GTA and Oblivion and Skyrim but with real interiors to many of the buildings with real push doors and tons of detail.

If you can stand the few forced fights then I strongly recommend this game.

[EDIT] Oh, yeah, readables are crap e-text and mostly can be ignored. I didn't even find them until I'd been playing a week or so! They don't even have proper names just stuff like Note #10, Note #11