The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 2.03 Glitches/Bugs

Dunedain19

Just a heads-up that this issue of door sounds moving massive distances in certain situations at map-load and then working fine a bit later was present as far back as 1.8 - I ran into it while building Requiem.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Well, I've updated my game, but it's already running into a multitude of bugs as I play:

- the lantern light appears to be sort of greenish

- once I pull out the sword, it stays forever and I cannot swing it or choose another bit of equipment

- the spyglass is broken, with the zoom working like a toggle and the spyglass texture completely gone

What's going on ? :huh:

OK, tested the gameplay again (though in a different mission) and now it seems to be working. I think it might be just a file mismatch thing. I was trying to port a language file with the translation I made in the previous version, but it's probably better to port the translation directly into the 2.03 version of that language file instead of using the older one. No biggie, I'll try it. Hopefully it'll work just as well as previously. Which reminds me: It's high time I checked that translation one last time and sent it to the devs for final approval.

P. S. I'll admit, I was surprised to see my previous save games weren't deleted automatically from the game after the update. I was expecting that to happen. Oh well, live and learn...

Ah, that explains it ! B)

I'll be trying to port my translation this evening from the original file to the updated one. I just hope not much has changed about the structure of the scripting in that file. (Probably not.)

There seems to be a bug in the in-game mission downloader. If you queue up a lot of missions, it will crash some way through the process of downloading them. This occurs on 64-bit Linux with an NVIDIA card. I never tried it on Windows to e.g. see if the same behavior manifests there. Queuing less missions (like 6) seems to prevent this from happening.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be a bug in the in-game mission downloader. If you queue up a lot of missions, it will crash some way through the process of downloading them. This occurs on 64-bit Linux with an NVIDIA card. I never tried it on Windows to e.g. see if the same behavior manifests there. Queuing less missions (like 6) seems to prevent this from happening.

Yes, I've encountered this problem -- hit it while trying to download the Thief's Den series. Possibly another datapoint -- there's something wrong with *which* version of thiefsden is downloaded:

1. I downloaded "Thief's Den" (.pk4 md5 36d8f4579f4632d6f7ffd9ebfb402f30); after this tdm crashed to the desktop.
  2. Retried, offered me an update to Thief's Den, seemed to download it and crashed again. Was still the version downloaded above.
  3. Moved thiefsden directory away and downloaded once more, to get "TD1: Thief's Den" (.pk4 md5 eec38792309a10de25de468bc3c9300f)

Pretty screwy, eh?

Forgot to say, this is also on 64-bit Linux and Nvidia

Edit: And the downloader is still telling me that Thief's Den has an update.

Edit:

Ok, I think I've figured this one out. The in game downloader has no idea which version is the correct or most up to date version, and probably the mirrors aren't in step either. Please please please add some kind of version validation (I strongly suggest the .pk4 md5 sum, it's so easy, who gives a toss in context if theoretical synthetic collisions might exist) to the mission list metadata.

In this particular case, looking at the file dates, it's clear that "TD1: Thief's Den" (eec38792309a10de25de468bc3c9300f) is the most recent version.

Edited by Araneidae

It sounds like we need to do something for 2.04: either come up with a way to regularize the versions across all mirrors, or to have the in-game downloader detect and select the best one from multiple possibilities.

Can I make a suggestion:

Let there be a definitive "most up to date" version of the mission list, this is administered somewhere and uploaded (you already do this administration), and this list includes two important details:

1. The date and time at which this version of the mission list was indeed definitive
  2. For each mission both the timestamp and checksum for the definitive version of that mission.

Then the in game updater keeps a cached copy of the mission list (might as well go in fms/ alongside fms/missions.tdminfo). If the mirror's version of the mission list is older, tdm will have to reject that mirror, if it's newer, it will replace its copy and use that mirror.

• 3 months later...

I found this thread while trying to find out why a direct fire arrow hit on a bonfire extinguishes it. Is the blast of air intended to override ignition even on a direct hit?

1. That's by design :) Fire arrows create a blast of air in 2.03, enough to extinguish nearby candles.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

I found this thread while trying to find out why a direct fire arrow hit on a bonfire extinguishes it. Is the blast of air intended to override ignition even on a direct hit?

Do fire arrows toggle extinguishables on a direct hit? Possibly an oversight. I agree it'd make sense for them to always leave the flame burning.

Do fire arrows toggle extinguishables on a direct hit? Possibly an oversight. I agree it'd make sense for them to always leave the flame burning.

It seems they do. I originally started wondering why lighting one bonfire was extinguishing the one next to it, but it turns out that even a direct hit on a lit flame can put it out. (Of course, by 'direct hit' I mean on the model, since I can't see exactly where the flame entity's origin is; but I can stand right on top of a bonfire and extinguish it with a fire arrow.)

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

There's no toggling going on.

The blast of air is enough to extinguish nearby flames.

Hitting an unlit bonfire directly is most prolly this sequence: light fire, check for blast damage, find fire, put it out.

Perhaps something could be done to not put out fires lit in the same frame.