The Dark Mod Forums

TDM on FreeBSD

Mr44er

Heya all and thanks for this great mod!

I would like to know how you can run TDM on FreeBSD, as I saw a screenshot on FreeBSD in this forum.

My version is 10.1-Release

Linuxemulator is running, the installation went well.

But I get the message

error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

when I start TDM.

The libpng installed from the ports is already on v14.

#Edit: the already installed libpng v14 is installed for the freebsd-system, you need the libs (v12) especially for the linuxemulator too! Read next post!

On Linux it's running just fine!

Edited by Mr44er

No problem...good projects need support and I like giving back. It's not much so far, but something. :)

Anyway...I still got some error today:

using ARB_vertex_buffer_object memory
using ARB2 renderSystem
Font fonts/english/stone in size 12 not found, using size 24 instead.
Couldn't stat exe path link /proc/1063/exe
gamex86 - Found SO in EXE path with timestamp of 1423387746 - gamex86.so
gamex86 - Found SO in pak file with timestamp of 1423387746 - /usr/home/mr44er/darkmod/tdm_game02.pk4/gamex86.so
gamex86 - SO in EXE path is newer, ignoring SO in pak file
dlopen 'gamex86.so' failed: gamex86.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Regenerated world, staticAllocCount = 0.
Shutting down sound hardware
------ OSS Sound Shutdown ------
close sound device
--------------------------------
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
I18NLocal: Shutdown.
Sys_Error: couldn't load game dynamic library
About to exit with code 1

As I found out, deleting gamex86.so OR running the updater again fixes this, but then I can only start it once. The next time I start TDM the gamex86.so is again in the directory and the start fails with the error message.

I think this is a specific TDM thingie, maybe a developer can tell me, why the file is being written in the darkmod-dir, as it is already there in the 'tdm_game02.pk4'.

It needs to extract the .so file so that it can dlopen() it [i have no idea whether or not it is possible to load a shared library from a memory stream]. However, it is a bit strange that it could find the .so file to perform the timestamp comparison, but can't find it when it needs to perform the dlopen().

I am the bat. The night is mine.

• 5 years later...

Hi

I was able to build and start thedarkmod 2.09 on FreeBSD 13 within base clang.

I'm still working on it, but seems missions are downloadable and playable.

I'd like to add it to the ports tree eventually

Edited by timp
More info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I imagine the following problems:

1. The code in sys/ which is written for Linux probably needs rewriting. That's the hardest part.
  2. Clang might not compile something in TDM. Hopefully it is just a bit of simple fixes.
  3. Third-party libraries are not stored for FreeBSD, but you can perhaps build them via "custom platform" way. Although they can fail to build too...

So I wonder how you handled these parts.

I don't know if it's still the case but the linux version of TDM version 2.05 would run flawlessly in FreeBSD's 10.0 'linuxulator'.  ie.  FreeBSD's linux compatibility layer.  I do remember having to add a few additional linux emulation libraries (either from c5 or c6 I can't remember) but they were all provided by PCBSD 10.0, just not installed by default.  PCBSD was just a configured for a desktop version of FreeBSD.  The emulation libraries were created from either centos 5 or 6 (I can't remember).  Ultimately updates in TDM and/or PCBSD broke things.  Primarily I recall it being TDM being linked against more modern linux libraries that weren't available.

Soon after the release of 2.08 I attempted to recompile it with the still available centos compatibility libraries.  I had zero trouble compiling the TDM source (on debian or perhaps gentoo I think) but I completely failed in trying to create a centos (anything) install.  It wouldn't install on any VM I tried and it wouldn't install on any real hardware I tried.  Enthusiasm subsequently failed me and I took the easy way out and just played it on a linux box.

FreeBSD 13 is coming soon.  I'll try again with 2.09.