The Dark Mod Forums

Recommendation: What 1st person game to buy

Bikerdude

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...] and T1/2 are the only games I will tolerate low res textures in.

You don't mention it here, maybe System Shock 2? I would guess you HAVE played it, but I ask because its one of those I can easily tolerate the low res for (although it can be upgraded a bit).

You've probably played them, but the first F.E.A.R. and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are very G.O.O.D.

Not to mention, since the days of F.E.A.R. I haven't seen a game that made me more sweat just because of the AI.

Its sad really that AI is so underrated that it just steps back.

Dayz Standalone or Subnautica?

DZ is already quite interesting, and the development is picking up in speed.

Subnautica, I've monitored for a while. Looks really interesting, but I'll wait until more stuff gets added.

Heroes and generals is free, so no reason not to try it. It is quite well done and fun for occasional online shooting.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

... or "Thief"*. I heard that was a good one, though the graphics are a bit, ahem... outdated. ;)

* I just remembered the 'reboot' of that franchise was not titled with the #4. I was of course referring to the original.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

There is one more mod coming to my mind, it is called The Order of the Dragon, a content heavy Oblivion modification with a huge desert added (almost no questmarkers there and other things that make it harder for the player to succeed) and a long questline. It was created with the intention of adding a more challenging experience to the world of Tamriel. It adds about 40 hours of gametime, is compatible with almost all other mods, fully voice-acted (only in German?) and includes many strange new quests and locations.

Edited by Cookie

You've probably played them, but the first F.E.A.R. and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are very G.O.O.D.

Played all 3 game.

I just reently finished Bioshock Infinite. Was also fun to play.

Played all 3 games

Wolfenstein: The New Order is pretty good. Get it on sale though.

Yeah waiting for the price to drop, as this is another game that got slated, but ok for £5

Vampire the Masqeurade Bloodlines and LA Noire (I guess it doesn't quite fit in the First Person thing, but the interrgoations are basically first person and the game looks like a movie so I guess it's 2'nd person?).

I think both of them work really well considering what they are aiming at. An RPG and an adventure game with modern graphics basically.

Additionally, The Void by Ice Pick Lodge may be interesting if you like art house and games that try to make you think. Alternatively place your bets on the upcoming Pathologic Remake by the same studio. It should be really good!

I loved them myself. If you liked Thief chances are these might be within your tastes.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

New, good and cheap? Pick 2. Alternatively, wait for the Steam Summer Camp sale, and just buy all the things.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Okay, well since you've played the majority of big releases, don't want to play any smaller (and often better) releases, can't buy anything recently released because you want them to cost as much as they will in a couple of years' time and think that 2010 has fallen into antiquity, I've got a little list that I think should match your criteria.

Dwarf Fortress - a game full of stunning vistas about Frodo taking the ring to Isengard from the perspective of the dwarves. Looks stunning in 4k.

XCOM UFO Defense - Another stunning game, optimised well enough to show the entire globe on-screen at once. You play as Will Smith and his sassy sidekick Jeff Goldblum in an action-packed adventure that takes you all around the world in an effort to fight back the alien menace.

TES Daggersmall - Fan project working to completely remake Bethesda's Skyblivionwind and bring it up to date to run on modern tech. Even Titans are struggling to run it, it's nuts. Weird thing is, it's about the size of a student's bedroom: it's just that graphically advanced.

Meinkraft - A noirish re-telling of Adolf Hitler's life from his teen years to the fall of the Third Reich in '45. Hard-hitting and gritty, boasting extreme fidelity and definitely not for the faint of heart or hardware.

can't buy anything recently released because you want them to cost as much as they will in a couple of years' time

I am happy to pay for contemporary titles, but when something is quite obviously not upto par then I wait for the price to drop.

And so it seems the only games worth getting that I havent played, havent been released yet. So will just have to wait and play some mods in the meantime.

Couple of good indie titles - Ether One, Vanishing of Ethan Carter...

Vanishing of Ethan Carter is not abundant in action. But it's beautiful, visually stunning. Wish more games looked this good. You can't really die in the game, so that challenge of survival is missing. Plus, once you know the solutions to the puzzles it's not quickly re-playable. Ether One is also quite beautiful and also has that calm exploration vibe going on. I recommend both games :)

Okay, well since you've played the majority of big releases, don't want to play any smaller (and often better) releases, can't buy anything recently released because you want them to cost as much as they will in a couple of years' time and think that 2010 has fallen into antiquity, I've got a little list that I think should match your criteria.

Dwarf Fortress - a game full of stunning vistas about Frodo taking the ring to Isengard from the perspective of the dwarves. Looks stunning in 4k.

XCOM UFO Defense - Another stunning game, optimised well enough to show the entire globe on-screen at once. You play as Will Smith and his sassy sidekick Jeff Goldblum in an action-packed adventure that takes you all around the world in an effort to fight back the alien menace.

TES Daggersmall - Fan project working to completely remake Bethesda's Skyblivionwind and bring it up to date to run on modern tech. Even Titans are struggling to run it, it's nuts. Weird thing is, it's about the size of a student's bedroom: it's just that graphically advanced.

Meinkraft - A noirish re-telling of Adolf Hitler's life from his teen years to the fall of the Third Reich in '45. Hard-hitting and gritty, boasting extreme fidelity and definitely not for the faint of heart or hardware.

It's really too bad that Meinkraft is banned in Germany for all of the Nazi imagery that's in the game. The Germans really are missing out on one of the most fantastic games of this generation. I gave it a 25/10. :)

Edited by Morat

It's really too bad that Meinkraft is banned in Germany for all of the Nazi imagery that's in the game. The Germans really are missing out on one of the most fantastic games of this generation. I gave it a 25/10. :)

The link points at minecraft.net. Now that's successful censorship.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter