The Dark Mod Forums

Recommendation: What 1st person game to buy

Bikerdude

Perhaps you should try something creative. TDM's still technically a Doom 3 mod, yes? Find a way to mod the Doom 3 weapons back into TDM, turn it into a proper FPS game once again.

"Movement!"

<cue chainsaw>

I think your wrong.

TDM using the IDTECH 4 engine is Stand alone and now as I understand it has nothing to do with Doom3. Am I wrong?

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone suggested alien isolation already, did you play it? The little I played it looked amazing but it has too many bugs on my end.

I've been thinking of getting Alien Isolation for a couple weeks now so what's it like and what bugs are you running in to?

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

I think your wrong.

TDM using the IDTECH 4 engine is Stand alone and now as I understand it has nothing to do with Doom3. Am I wrong?

As per its title, TDM was originally a mod for Doom 3. It's a total conversion that doesn't use any Doom 3 resources apart from the engine, which is standalone as you say. But what I understand, the only difference betwen its mod form and running standalone is that Doom 3 provided the engine, whereas the standalone uses IdTech 4 (basically a gutted version of Doom 3 with only engine and no additional assets). I'd make an educated guess that if you take the darkmod folder, put it into a Doom 3 install, it'll appear as a mod and can be run under Doom 3 still (probably with some glitches but it should boot up at least). I'd love to test this theory though.

As per its title, TDM was originally a mod for Doom 3. It's a total conversion that doesn't use any Doom 3 resources apart from the engine, which is standalone as you say. But what I understand, the only difference betwen its mod form and running standalone is that Doom 3 provided the engine, whereas the standalone uses IdTech 4 (basically a gutted version of Doom 3 with only engine and no additional assets). I'd make an educated guess that if you take the darkmod folder, put it into a Doom 3 install, it'll appear as a mod and can be run under Doom 3 still (probably with some glitches but it should boot up at least). I'd love to test this theory though.

mmmh. Interesting

There is not doubt that the idtech4 engine and in turn john carmack in relation granted us the right to use his creation to further our and no doubt his envisioned creative foresight and nurturing of community to enable the creation of the TDM standalone engine.

Please try to run the darkmod folder as a mod in the doom3 intall directory and let us know at TDM how you get on. I hope it works without a hitch as no one here is getting payed for there efforts and as far as the law is concerned, None have been broken.

Picked up a copy for £4.50

I'm beginning to think even that was too much -

• Awful gameplay -
    • can't jump or mantle over the simplest of objects
    • a lot of locations lock you into a fixed path
    • poor story delivery,
    • predictable Ai
    • crap audio shaders on the vehicles.
  • and so many bugs -
    • keeps wanting to install Directx at launch.
    • can't get the console to come up, despite trying various options.
    • texture streaming is so bad I can see the void through the squares. found a fix for that here
    • texture quality close up is bad, even with tweaks.

predictable Ai

The AI is different for every type of enemy. They get much more interesting later in the game.

The other points are all true but not really important in my opinion. Rage's single redeeming feature is the gunplay and it does that perfectly. Keep going.

Edit: I don't get why everybody complains about the texture quality. It is true that it's very blurry up close, but if you actually play the game, you will never notice that. The game looks absolutely beautiful otherwise. The maps are full of detail and you wont find a repeating texture anywhere.

Edited by Baal

you wont find a repeating texture anywhere.

There is that, made to the local town and and got rail guns for the buggy - but christ the handling is all over the shop and entirty unrealistic. That and it get caught on a 1" nail sticking out from a fence etc... Took me 5 attempts to do the first time trial at the town, bah!

Could it perhaps be your expectations that are leaving you disappointed? It's a game by id and you're complaining about linear gameplay and a sacrificing of story and freedom of movement in favor of top-notch gunplay? Picking up an id game and expecting anything other than satisfying gunplay and non-existent story/freedom is like picking up a Thief game and expecting to be given a shotgun. If you looked at screenshots and watched trailers/gameplay footage and came away expecting better textures than what you saw and a compelling story somewhere amidst the Mad Max buggy fights, I'm afraid that the fault lies with you.

need to stop reading this thread, it's getting me down

Edited by Airship Ballet

Does it have to be new? With Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena you basically get 2 great games, with nice atmosphere, still good graphics, and a lot of sneaking. Really some of my absolute favorite games ever, especially Escape from Butcher Bay.

Oh, i see now you got Rage... well it's pretty cool too. :) Classic shooter though, a bit dowdy by now IMO. But good fun.

Edited by chakkman

Could it perhaps be your expectations that are leaving you disappointed? It's a game by id and you're complaining about linear gameplay and a sacrificing of story and freedom of movement in favor of top-notch gunplay?

I expected that iD would have learned from past failures, I expected better from a game released in 2011 - even a middling game like Crysis 2 was better. And at the end of the day we as players should not become complacent and accept sub-par games. When we can produce quality work for free via TDM, then why can't commercial publishers do it....

You get used to the driving parts. They can be fun and are not really difficult. Just stick to it til the actual missions. They are fantastic, if only for level design alone.

The map levels are indeed awesome

Does it have to be new? With Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena you basically get 2 great games,

Yes, I love both of them. V.D.'s volcals made both games work where they otherwise might not have.

I expected better from a game released in 2011 - even a middling game like Crysis 2 was better

If you can bring yourself to call Crysis 2 "middling" I think it's clear that you expect too much in general. My point is that it's not pushed as a deep, compelling tale of love and loss, but rather a silly excuse to blast banditos away with ridiculous guns. Bulletstorm had an awful story, so did Painkiller, so did Unreal Tournament, so does Gears of War: these aren't the games that you can fairly say "had a less-than-compelling story, not worth my £4.50." Rage definitely isn't sub-par on the whole, and as you can tell I'm far from complacent when something isn't done justice. The average quality of video games has been consistent for a good decade, with some below average and even more above. It's nowhere near time to start the vox populi "rise up against consumer abuse through mediocre titles" spiel yet, especially in this context.

I've been thinking of getting Alien Isolation for a couple weeks now so what's it like and what bugs are you running in to?

I don't know if they are only on my end though. I have a new PC and it's acting weird on me on other situations.

But here's what happens: I'm playing the game normally then the ambient sound disappears. At first I just shrug it off as a harmless bug and continue without the ambient sound. Everything else seems to be working though! but then I realize some actions are not working, like doors not opening, messages not triggering etc. Then all of a sudden all these things happen at the same time! as if they were in a queue that was blocked by something. The worst of all is that some important things are also in this queue, like saving the game. so if you try to save while in this state, the game will freeze for an indeterminate amount of time. Also, if you manage to get to a part where assets havent't been loaded (they're probably on the same queue) as soon as you get near them the game crashes completely.

I described this situation in their support forums a week ago and haven't received a response ever since.

Lots of far worse ones, too! Besides, if we judged everything based on the competition it has, we'd have too much in common with most countries' education systems. It's far healthier to judge something based on its competition in hindsight, not when you're going into it. You can judge things based on their own merits far better when you're not remembering how great your favorite game ever is.

[...] When we can produce quality work for free via TDM, then why can't commercial publishers do it.... [...]

That question I always get to when I talk to other people about video games, and their flaws.

I just don't get it.

A long time ago we had these developers throwing out gems (occasionally) for us to play, that were awesome, without having the graphic to match the story.

But the better the graphics got, the more the awesome stories and feelings were left behind. Now we don't get the story to match the graphics.

The gems are much rarers, and mostly have some flaws too.

One should think the better the graphics get, the better you can tell the story, bring the mood, ...

One should think the better the graphics get, the better you can tell the story, bring the mood, ...

That's true for a whole load of games that come to mind. I really don't believe in the claim that game developers in general are getting lazier or less inspired. The stuff coming out is amazing, it's just that for some reason people think AAA dross is representative of any sort of trend in the industry. It isn't, it's just a noisy and well-funded group of publishers making noise at their own conventions while the majority of people worth talking to ignore them or attend their stuff to poke fun at the uninspired stuff they put out. Saying that AAA productions are any indication of the state of the industry is like saying that pop music's prevalence means all other music is irrelevant. The "le wrong generation xDDDDD" argument is unfounded, seriously.

I expected that iD would have learned from past failures, I expected better from a game released in 2011 - even a middling game like Crysis 2 was better. And at the end of the day we as players should not become complacent and accept sub-par games. When we can produce quality work for free via TDM, then why can't commercial publishers do it....

What is quality for you? Quality in terms of gameplay? Graphics, stability, bugfreeness? Rage is actually one of the most stable and bug free games i ever played. The graphics engine is pretty solid too, same for the gameplay. If i compare it to TDM, no offense, then it pretty much doesn't hold the comparison. What a wonder because it's comparing peaches and apples. TDM doesn't support multicore, it has engine related restrictions which the newer engine featured in Rage doesn't have, it does have more bugs, the graphics in general are not as good. Gameplay you can pretty much argue about it, but again, it's peaches and apples, why compare a stealth based sneak game based in the middle age with a shooter based on a futuristic end time scenario. So it really pretty much bows down to what you define as "quality".

Nope, for example Batman Arkam City and Deus Ex: HR were both brilliant games. There were quite a few games released in 2011 that were better than rage and crysis.

The most notable for me was Red Faction Armageddon and LA Noire. To me it seems like they flew too much under the radar.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

You are comparing games of different genres. My point was, Batman (never played that) and Human Revolution are not first person shooters.

Regarding my post that refered to these games, I was refering to the quality of the games, not weither they were 1st of 3rd person.

The most notable for me was Red Faction Armageddon and LA Noire. To me it seems like they flew too much under the radar.

There was so much potential in LA Noire. Completely wasted. Sorry for the harsh words, but, the driving physics are really bad compared to GTA, the investigations always play the same, the action sequences don't rock, the city seems lifeless compared. Each to its like, but for me, LA Noire wasn't a good game. Actually i'm surprised that the Metacritic rating is 83. Would have thought it would be more like 70.