The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Atomic

RAGE rules. Where else can I be a western old school shooter in future post apocalyptic world? Story was never something that I expect to be mesmerized by from an id title. However, weapon customization and killing / ways of killing / lots of killing is something I expected, and RAGE delivered that in spades. Had a feel to QUAKE moreso than any title since that time from the studio.

I agree to that! Compared to everything else id has released since Doom, RAGE delivered the best gameplay, characters and story. A shame that the whole game got dragged down by the stupid megatexture version it uses, which made it ugly on all systems that were too slow for it, like the consoles, and killed all modding as well :(...

As for DXHR, I played it but found the story so convoluted that I forgot most of it once I was finished. That's the same impression I remember from the original DX which couldn't stop itself from adding one conspiration after another. And they repeated the original's problem to offer different endings that would mess up any sequel as well!

Edited by wesp5

You know you're game's good when people are willing to break their own rules to save a game character when it isn't even required. :)

+1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

As for DXHR, I played it but found the story so convoluted that I forgot most of it once I was finished. That's the same impression I remember from the original DX which couldn't stop itself from adding one conspiration after another. And they repeated the original's problem to offer different endings that would mess up any sequel as well!

First DX is much more convoluted :P

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Just loaded Deus Ex - the original - God the graphics are awful - and Deus Ex Invisible War isn't much better

Your Biker is showing, although you're not wrong. Old games certainly haven't aged well, but you have to dial back your state of mind to go back to enjoying crappy-looking games. I think it's a mistake to go in with a modern perspective and then say they haven't aged well and look bad. I reckon you're only allowed to say that if you can literally never get past it, which isn't the case for Deus Ex: the sound design and general mood of it are pretty involving. I kinda like the feel of the original though. Somehow its shoddy graphics really fit its mood, but it could just be all that contemporaneous synth, like how Flash FM fits the crappy pastel visuals of Vice City.

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 4

Just loaded Deus Ex - the original - God the graphics are awful - and Deus Ex Invisible War isn't much better

Let me prepare some tweaking/modding guides :D

And for the original DX, please WAIT!!!!!!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision

Edited by lowenz

The same counts for T1/T2, but they are good games anyway.

Your Biker is showing

:laugh: Proverb of the year.

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The original DX never had great graphics (although the character design is comic bookish in a good way). It had second-rate stealth, second-rate AI and second-rate shooting. Its strengths are sound, story, scope, variety of gameplay, and of course the way all the individually okay parts add up to something much more than their sum. Then, it becomes the best game about shadowy government conspiracies, philosophical mumbo-jumbo and nano-augmented super-spies.

The thing about DX:HR is that it is a good game with moments of greatness, but it is not Deus Ex epic.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

HR is about human ethics, DX and DXIW are about pure political philosophy.

Edited by lowenz

And for the original DX, please WAIT!!!!!!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision

Nice to know, will wait with my next playthrough till it is done then. Hadn't known about this project till now.

Hmm, the graphics of Invisible War has quite something to the Original. Still, the Original is far more playworthy.

If you don't want to wait for the Revision that lowenz mentioned, there are quite a few mods that better the graphics a bit (At least better textures and better models have been done), but there is always work done on the game and my last playthrough has been a while, so I don't have a current suggestion.

Let me cook some DXIW 2015 guide :D

And yes, for NVidia users, you can enable DSR & HBAO+ in that old (and underrated) D3D8 game :P

Edited by lowenz

Just loaded Wolfenstein 3D - man the characters are sprites and not even 3D,I dont care if its an old game,no modern day graphics ? Fuck it.

HR is about human ethics

And cinematic takedowns

• Like 1

Proceed with caution!

Just loaded Wolfenstein 3D - man the characters are sprites and not even 3D,I dont care if its an old game,no modern day graphics ? Fuck it.

Ha, you had me at Wolf3D - that takes me back, typing that thing in DOS... Im getting old, man. Thats probably why games feel different now, not as epic as in our memories, we are old as hell. :D Seriously, thanks Melan, DeusX was a great game, but the fighting and stealth used to annoy me, the stealth wasnt nearly as cool or deep as Thief's and the shooting felt weird for some reason, no punch to it, dodgy hit detection. But yeah, as a whole package, brilliant game. Never played the newer one. Not gonna, unless I get that laptop upgrade Ive been postponing.

Edited by RPGista

And cinematic takedowns

It's a plain expression of Nietzsche's "Will to (over)power" :D

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Seriously, thanks Melan, DeusX was a great game, but the fighting and stealth used to annoy me, the stealth wasnt nearly as cool or deep as Thief's and the shooting felt weird for some reason, no punch to it, dodgy hit detection. But yeah, as a whole package, brilliant game.

I agree. Although not only the DX graphics have aged, but the whole game! DX's map design already seemed quite bland and forced to me when I first played it. Like everything is dark with little details and there is always the convenient vent to add another access route. This became even more obvious when I played Bloodlines, who offers a lot of similar gameplay choices, but in a much more detailed and lifelike environment. Just compare the Chinatowns of both games ;)!

Edited by wesp5