The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Atomic

Just compare the Chinatowns of both games ;)!

The one of DX is interesting to explore, and there is lots to find. Many little stories. (For example finding a way into canal road)

The one of Bloodlines has a more to the visuals you can look at, especially in the details part. But there isn't really something to find (as there isn't generally in Bloodlines, sooner or later nearly all you "find" you have to go to).

Thats why the DX one (that was Hongkong) wins out for me.

The one of Bloodlines has a more to the visuals you can look at, especially in the details part. But there isn't really something to find (as there isn't generally in Bloodlines, sooner or later nearly all you "find" you have to go to).

If you mean sidequests by this, you don't need to go there. Still I agree that in that regard Chinatown is the weakest hub of Bloodlines as Troika was already running out of time or money when they did it.

Oh come on wesp5, you made the legendy unofficial patches for Vampire Bloodlines, of course you're gonna find it much more detailed with the amount of stuff you would have ended up going through. :)

I was only talking about the first optical impression. The DX Chinatown looks like every other part except for the Chinese banners. The Bloodlines Chinatown looks much prettier :)!

Edited by wesp5

I was only talking about the first optical impression. The DX Chinatown looks like every other part except for the Chinese banners. The Bloodlines Chinatown looks much prettier :)!

For some reason I was always under the impression that the Chinatown sewers were hiding something (in the sense that the game never requires you to go there for quests and they look completely different from the other hub's sewers (in as that they are bricked).

Hong Kong in Deus Ex was interesting for me through the Canal location. The music was very reminiscent of a track from Civ 3.

Unfortunately this hub is truly the dark sheep of Bloodlines - mostly through lack of content I suppose. Lack of a lot of memorable sequences that the other hubs had plenty of.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

The soundtrack to UT99 was intense, definitely one of my favourites. They chose their songs really, really well in accordance with their map aesthetics. It's just a shame that those responsible for making custom maps always paired them with this music for some reason. Could have been the default on servers missing the intended music, who knows, but so many custom maps used that. It bored me to tears.

Here I was thinking that track was going to be the Facing Worlds theme, Foregone Destruction.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

While I was adding some unused tracks to the Unofficial Patch for Bloodlines I had a brief contact with the composer, Rik Schaffer. It may be interesting to some here what he wrote about his work because it may be true for the music in other games as well:

Of all the games I have worked on in the 15 years I've been doing this Bloodlines was the best because I was given free reign to write music without censor and drawing from my own life experiences. This is where the best music comes from for an artist.

• Like 1

I have always been partial to the original Unreal soundtrack; tracks like The Temple of Vandora, Isotoxin, Terraniux, etc. These tracks have both calmer exploration segments and fast-spaced combat loops, and they are really great. I liked digital music when it tried to do its own thing and didn't want to ape symphonics.

UT is fine, fine, but Unreal is where it's at. :)

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

and didn't want to ape symphonics.

I disagree :o:D Think about that thing as a "knowledge stimulus"

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

As promised

DEUS EX: INVISIBLE WAR (DXIW) - A Configuration Guide (for taffers)

This guide is based on GOG release you can find here: http://www.gog.com/game/deus_ex_invisible_war

And yes, DXIW is a good game, and an absolutely faithful sequel to DX.....if you accept the frequent loading pauses between the very small (but well designed) "level" sections.

How to maximize the aestethics on modern systems and relative powerhouse-grade PCs (remember taffer, DXIW is from 2003, 12 years ago :D )?

Here we are!

*Disable Compatibility Mode if present in the launcher shortcut

*Download this pre-modded default.ini file and paste it in DXIW System subfolder (backup the original !): http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/7UokTRUi/file.html

*Install the Unified Texture Pack (attention during the language selection!): http://www.moddb.com/mods/john-p/downloads/deus-ex-unified-texture-pack

*Configure the in-game options - DO NOT use the in-game AA if you want the Bloom effect, use DSR/VSR !

*Download and run Deus Ex Widescreen Utility -> http://www.wsgf.org/dr/deus-ex-invisible-war- See the suggestions about chosen resolution/HUD values (FOV values are a matter of personal choice) - My personal suggestion is to activate DSR/VSR and choose 3840x2160, to achieve maximum SSAA-like quality through downsampling on a 1920x1080 monitor panel....if your VGA can handle it

*Force Anisotropic Filtering to 16x with your GPU control panel interface

*You can also enable HBAO+ with NVidia GPUs, the compatibility flag for NVinspector is 0x0000001E - Guide here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=387114

*Force Triple Buffering with D3DOverrider or enable it in the default.ini (D3D section)

If the resolution resets at every start, set it with Deus Ex Widescreen Utility and - after ALL modifications are done - remove the write permissions (user, administrators, sistem) to the user.ini file present in your user documents folder (along with the saves)

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 2 months later...

I love the look of it. I wish those assets could be used for a more indie style game, but that's my old bias. Once they start with the storytelling, it's like a flood of arbitrary factions and MOs and events thrown at me. And the levels seem par for the course these days gameplay-wise, the good & the bad.

Did we already talk about an open world scifi? Yeah, with these assets and this world it'd be great. Did I mention how much I love the look and feel of this?

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.