The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Atomic

Frankly, at the end of the first (tutorial) mission now, and already can't be arsed anymore. Suffers from the same problems as Human Revolution (lack of a challenge, almost plays by itself), and the general problems of games these days (too casual, too much stuff overwhelming you, visually, and acustically, no real gameplay depth). I will really refrain from buying any more games this year, maybe Dishonored 2, if it doesn't look too shabby, because part 1 for me was one of the few highlights in the 2010's, but, apart from that, i'm not really the target audience anymore. Fallout 4 already was a huge disapointment for me, and this now too. Meh.

Oh, and may i also say that i f***in' hate time limits, or forcing me to rescue a team member in the very first tutorial mission of the game under a time limit? Le bullshit.

Edit: Nice, Steam actually gave me a refund, because i only played 2 hours and 23 minutes, and stated that i didn't like the game. Good stuff. :)

Edited by chakkman

The 2010s means 2010-2019.

Chakkman pretty much captured my thinking in DX:HR. I did the first 2 missions and I couldn't bring myself to continue. It looked so good. I loved the world. But the levels and gameplay left me cold. They were too explicitly designed levels and not a world to itself. I guess he captured it with the fact we're not the target demographic. If you could fastforward to the hubs to freely walk around, that's about all I would get out of the new DX games.

Recent great games were Dishonored, Stalker series, Mirror's Edge 1&2, GTAV, & ARMA3. They're still out there, but fewer and farther between.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Chakkman pretty much captured my thinking in DX:HR. I did the first 2 missions and I couldn't bring myself to continue. It looked so good. I loved the world. But the levels and gameplay left me cold. They were too explicitly designed levels and not a world to itself. I guess he captured it with the fact we're not the target demographic. If you could fastforward to the hubs to freely walk around, that's about all I would get out of the new DX games.

Recent great games were Dishonored, Stalker series, Mirror's Edge 1&2, GTAV, & ARMA3. They're still out there, but fewer and farther between.

But you could really explore more than in Dishonored and Human Revolution! Vents, Air Duct & Wall crackings everywhere :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I probably didn't give it enough time, agreed, but, it showed all the stuff i dislike about modern games in the first level already. Of course, they will want to give you a "BAM" experience in the first level, but, frankly, i'm not someone who gets impressed by quantity, and this and this and this and that to do, but rather by substance, and i didnn't really saw that much. Instead, it sort of plays itself, like a movie. Back in the days, you had to learn how games "tick", and after hours of playing, you found out, Nowadays, they try to explain everything in the first 10 minutes. Which isn't the way i want it really. IMO, they should have made an intro, explained how Jensen lost all his augs and abilities, and then learn the player slowly everything which is needed for the game. And not throw you into a seemingly critical mission, overwhelm you with everything you can do in the game, and almost remote control you through the level.

Anyway, each to his like, and i'll surely buy it again, when it'll be on a sale, but i wasn't really impressed with what i saw in the first 2 hours. YMMV. Oh, and i really hate timers in missions, or to act quick to save someone, or to destroy a chopper. Especially in the first mission, that's ridiculous IMO.

Edited by chakkman

I also still want to play them too, and will get around to them. They're still better than other FPSs, it's still DX, and as I mentioned the world itself looks amazing.

I dream about having access to those assets and making a cyberpunk indie game. But second to that, I don't mind playing through them to see the world. You know ... eventually.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Oh, and i really hate timers in missions, or to act quick to save someone, or to destroy a chopper. Especially in the first mission, that's ridiculous IMO.

I know that, man :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

In most of the reviews I've read that's been the most consistently praised part.

I hope that's a sign they learn from it & keep it a thing.

Played it through and it is ok. It is not overwhelming, but not bad either. Similar to the first Thief games I think the first Deus Ex was a milestone both gameplay and storylike (the latter counts only for Deus Ex), so there are pretty high expectations towards the franchise. It seems that people sometimes expect the newer game to be as revolutionary as their predecessors, and this is something the games can't achieve.

But if you take it as a stealth shooter with a good story and some rpg elements, it is actually pretty good and imho worth the 50 bucks. There is hardly anything better in the AAA games sector in that genre expect for Dishonored. And you will see that people will complain about Dishonored 2 not being as good as the first part, too once it is out.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Me 56 Hr :D

It's awesome (the first levels are simple but because they're the tutorial). The bank part is just....MASSIVE!

Edited by lowenz

@Obs, so how many hours game play did you get..? (did you do all the side quests..?)

Steam tells me that it have been 19 hours, although I think it could be a few more. I did most of the side quests, I think.

Personally I do not tend to measure the value of a game by the amount of time it takes to play it. Alien Isolation is a good example that a long game time isn't neccessarely good. The game would have been much better if it has been shorter. Due to its length I didn't even finish it.

Additionally, for me ersonally all Deus Ex titles had a high replay value. I think I played the first part at least a dozen times, and even the second, although it is not as good, at least six or seven times. So I'm perfectly fine with the length of the game.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Oh thats... EVEN better, nice! I have been so looking forward to this game. I take it though you have done every side quest and explorer almost every nook and cranny..?

Yep :D

And consuming my prosthetic legs going back and forth to sell weapons (as in HR you can only carry one copy of a not-unique weapon).

I'm now in Golem City with 45.000/50.000 credits and with all the exploration-oriented augmentations unlocked.

Edited by lowenz