The Dark Mod Forums

Magnanimous Merry's Miscellanea

Airship Ballet

They come with fully working with frob-boxes, are rotateable (or with variants with different angles) and have proper sounds (i.e. not the default door opening sound)?

Sounds very useful!

I personally hate doing those so having prefabs of high quality is most desirable!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Perhaps. But the prefab file size is quite small, and a long list isn't that bad if files are named according to a logical convention, preferrably in a folder structure.

I acknowledge it's a lot of work. However, the rotating and fixing containers is irritating, error prone and time consuming; and exactly the reason I put simple models without working drawers/cupboard doors nowadays.

I really long for functional drop-in-and-it-works-hassle-free -solution

Clipper

Thanks for the chests Merry :) I look forward to looting them.

Has anyone mentioned the rotation problem in the DR bugs thread? I can't imagine it'd be very difficult to fix. A workaround would be to change the model axis so it lines up correctly with the world axis when placed in the prefab. But that's probably not practical come to think of it -- I don't know how to do it, and it would mean changing all the model verts to match so it'd need to be done in a modelling program.

• Like 1

Hahaha, cool topic name. :) Loving those chests, cant believe you did it all inside DR... Awesome work, specially the trio 6th, 7th and 8th (which is so clean looking and softly textured). You really did those out of patches? Wow...

Your list sounds like some mappers' dreams, but I wouldnt worry about doing so much work like that. If you create one for each type, a piece you really love and would like to see in people's maps, that would already be amazing and more satisfying than trying to come up with many examples for the sake of variety. Like you said yourself, people can always come up with their own varieties by editing the working version you find here, thats already a huge step foward for most mappers out there with tons of things on their mind (having the working thing to modify, instead of doing everything from the ground up).

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

I really long for functional drop-in-and-it-works-hassle-free -solution

Don't we all.

Has anyone mentioned the rotation problem in the DR bugs thread? I can't imagine it'd be very difficult to fix.

A workaround would be the best, but a funny side effect of it is that I've been forced to be more original than just placing prefab shelves with items already on them on several occasions. If nothing else, it enforces originality!

I wouldnt worry about doing so much work like that.

Frankly, I just do it to chill out. When I'm alone, have had my fill of everything else and am in the mood, I'll stick on some TV, music, a podcast, whatever, and just make stuff to wind down. I don't do it when it feels like work. Thanks for the kind words all the same!

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

Excellent, these should fill a much-needed gap. Thanks for doing this!

I acknowledge it's a lot of work. However, the rotating and fixing containers is irritating,

Sounds like the perfect job for someone who wants to help out but doesn't know how to map or model.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle  *  A Reputation to Uphold  *  A New Job  *  A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules  *  Speedbuild Challenge  *  New Mappers Workshop  *  Building Traps

However, the rotating and fixing containers is irritating, error prone and time consuming;

If everything would be def_attached it would work without this issue.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 3 weeks later...

Had a listen to all them, the tracks are all very compressed and muted (all the high frequencies are gone), is this intentional?

I would guess that's YouTube compression in action. YouTube is designed for cat videos, not high fidelity audio reproduction.

Airship Ballet — to make things easier for mappers you might consider packaging the ambients along with their sound shaders declarations into a Github repository like I did. Mappers can then use the "Download ZIP" button to get a ready-made PK4 that they can drop into their installation. In fact this approach ought to work for all your resources, not just ambients.

Oh, I didn't know Orb had made some new ambients available.

Now, if we have multiple people making high quality custom ambients, should there be a stickified thread that lists all sources of custom ambients? That would make it easy to find them.

Now these are scattered in different threads and will be lost eventually from the mappers.

Clipper

very compressed and muted (all the high frequencies are gone), is this intentional?

Lots of low-pass filters floating around, yeah. Compression will be Youtube, though: everything's made with a high sample rate.

you might consider packaging the ambients along with their sound shaders declarations into a Github repository like I did. Mappers can then use the "Download ZIP" button

I'm providing links to zips structured to the root darkmod folder, so people can hopefully just extract them there without hassle. The whole OP is basically just a wordy repo, but by all means host them if you want to!

By all means sticky any of it in any threads, too.

Edited by Airship Ballet

I just had a listen to the ambients and they're sounding fantastic!

My favorite were the builder ambients, you really nailed down that creepy and mysterious church cult feel with those.

With the mansion ambients I thought the skylight one sounded fantastic but with the heal mansion ambient I think it would work better for a room in the mansion but not so much as an ambient whilst traversing the whole mansion.

Something I've found when making or finding ambients for mansions (or really any place where the player is expected to spend a longer than normal duration of time) is that you want a track around the 5 minute mark that stays basic in the background like skylight or use a drone or something similar and then add in little creaks or other noises throughout, nothing thats too distracting but that is still noticeable in the background. The key thing is avoiding repetition (hence why the 5 minute time comes in handy) because chances are the player will be hearing this track over and over again.

Of course that could just be my personal preference but hey food for thought ;)

Thanks for offering these to the community as well! Looking forward to hearing your next batch

• Like 3

With the mansion ambients I thought the skylight one sounded fantastic but with the heal mansion ambient I think it would work better for a room in the mansion but not so much as an ambient whilst traversing the whole mansion. [...] Of course that could just be my personal preference but hey food for thought ;)

As far as my preference goes, you're entirely right! I made Heal for the little set-piece garden in the middle of Chase Mercantile, which was intended as a relaxing little courtyard in a rectangle of solid guard patrols. I ended up toning it down, but it's still nice and relaxing in the garden anyway. I tend to use the droning, monotonous stuff for corridors and generic rooms, and then stick in more thematic music for rooms that are supposed to have a particular vibe. I change up the ambients for every discernable area, so one group of corridors or one row of similar rooms will have the same ambient, and it'll shift when the wallpaper does. You make a good point though: someone who uses fewer ambients over larger areas would probably want some longer tracks.

• Like 2

The undead soundtrack Interred is very much how I imagine a haunted voices soundtrack should be, very good going!

Edited by Dragofer

The undead soundtrack Interred is very much how I imagine a haunted voices soundtrack should be, very good going!

Why thank you! It's not much more difficult than finding a few good voices and layering them in reverse. The harder part is the background. I took inspiration from the spooky Fatal Frame/Project Zero music, which is all backed by the sounds of hand cranks, carriage wheels and tightening ropes. Monotonous sounds like that make for a nice oppressive sound when slowed down and muffled a bit.

I put a zip with all the tracks in the OP, along with a sound shader that includes the lot. I'll update it as I go.

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 2