The Dark Mod Forums

Magnanimous Merry's Miscellanea

Airship Ballet

Added a couple of longer, floaty mansion ambients I made on a whim. I was going to make some of those grimdark drones interspersed with wood creaks and stuff, but I think there's enough of that already. Why not some nice, lighter drones for that one eye-candy room with the God rays and the dust particles?

• Like 1

Added a bunch of nifty containers for storing note and scroll readables in style (under prefab containers).

Thank you very much, they look awesome.

And now you're starting to take up a sizeable chunk of my credits list!

Airship Ballet - Cave In ambient

Airship Ballet - Chest container

Airship Ballet - Readable container

;)

• Like 2

Added a bunch of nifty containers for storing note and scroll readables in style (under prefab containers).

These are fantastic! I love the leather one on the end. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to speed up the default opening time for the doors a bit...it seems a bit slow for small containers like that.

• Like 1

And now you're starting to take up a sizeable chunk of my credits list!

We here at Merry's Marvellous Mapping Co. are proud to sponsor all your mapping endeavors!

These are fantastic! I love the leather one on the end. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to speed up the default opening time for the doors a bit...it seems a bit slow for small containers like that.

That's my favorite too~ I set those with hinged doors to open twice as quickly and changed the opening sound to match. I'm glad you like 'em!

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

The round leather one at the end is my favourites too (and the drawer under the table too), it really makes me wonder what important deed to a property could be preserved in there. Or a letter that travelled a long way through the rain and had to be protected from the weather at all costs. That's the great thing about these containers, they can add their own little story details and they're very flexible with that.

Looking at the glass case there in the middle, maybe you'd like to do one for the wall as well? Maybe for a doctor or famous inventor who's proud of his certificate from the prestigious school where he learned his skills and doesn't want it to catch any dust, or hanging in a craftman's well-kept workshop to show that the guild hall has found that highest quality is achieved here.

I like the scroll tube, is there a moveable version of it, too.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Looking at the glass case there in the middle, maybe you'd like to do one for the wall as well?

I don't see why not! It'll be #11 in the .zip in a little while.

I like the scroll tube, is there a moveable version of it, too.

I'll see if making one works out, could be glitchy owing to the confined interior and the abundance of patches on it.

Or you could create n,s,e,w versions.

Yeah, but considering the number of these I'm making, I frankly can't be bothered going through 4x the monotony of moving them to the origin and saving them.

Super work Merry! We should try setting up one or two of these with def-attached moving parts so that mappers can rotate and place them easily.

Thanks! The only thing stopping me from trying that out is the assumption that they'd rotate on the wrong axis after being attached, but I've never really played with def_attaching other than for sticking props on AI. By all means experiment!

I added a moveable version of the leather tube and a wall version of the display case. All three parts of the tube are frobable, so you'll probably find that you can't pick it up without opening it and taking the scroll out first (they're prioritised, because otherwise it's impossible to do anything other than pick up the sealed tube). Still, if you wanted to throw around an open, empty leather tube, I gotcha covered. Oh, you'll also have to download the .ase and .cm in the assets .zip if you want to use it.

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another readable container possibility for your collection. Imagine taffing about in a port and looking down to the water to see a mysterious scroll getting washed about by the waves. And, a downscaled ship could take the place of that scroll to be showed off in a noble's room.

post-3526-0-15977600-1432477103_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 1

Heat haze with a sufficient mask may do the trick here. I mean you don't really see the glass, but the distortion it causes.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Are there shaders out there that do this? The blue refraction of the water surface through the top of the bottle might be expensive to reproduce, but whether or not that's do-able, what are the best glass shaders out there right now? It would be nice to include some lovely glass and water shaders with TDM 2.04.

• Like 1

I tried coming up with some good glass shaders but was never able to get something ideal. The best result I came up with still glows in the dark because it has an additive blend stage.

The hourglass asset has a pretty good glass shader as-is IMHO.

I guess this goes into the territory of how far into the world of depth peeling or "order independent transparency"

do we wanna take this...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The problem with the hourglass glass is that it is nearly invisible, depending on what is behind it. And it doesn't react to light.

The hourglass asset has a pretty good glass shader as-is IMHO.

I guess this goes into the territory of how far into the world of depth peeling or "order independent transparency"

do we wanna take this...

Ignore the depth problems... We can have nice glass that works well in 99% of settings without having to solve those problems, and mappers can avoid the other 1% of settings. You know better than anyone else what the best is out there :) What's on offer? We can use GLSL shaders for transparent surfaces and/or different blend modes without any major engine changes.

I think typically people who do a glass effect do a transparent shader with a strong specular reflection but make sure the amount of transparency doesn't apply to the specular highlights (multiply or whatever) and there is alsoe the case for doing a fresnel typ deal with a cube map, that also doesn't really get as transparent as the main texture.

Now if this is doable in this engine I have no clue, but I know typically refraction is a real pain to work with, and a lot of times isn't as necessary as one might imagine.