The Dark Mod Forums

Magnanimous Merry's Miscellanea

Airship Ballet

Right, well, I added the small versions. I think they got lost when I was moving stuff over, or I was just half asleep when I made the last few. Fixed the skin issue too, but I've no idea what's causing the issue in the second and fourth.

Thanks for lookin'!

Edited by Airship Ballet

I looked into the shepherd-boy-everywhere problem; and here's a revised 01. (I also mucked about with the bump and specular maps, after looking at how TDM's built-in paintings were set up.)

merrypainting01
{
	qer_editorimage	models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_ed
	wood

diffusemap	models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d
	bumpmap		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting04_local // As far as I can tell, merrypainting01_local is a copy of painting04_local 
	specularmap	models/darkmod/props/textures/painting04_s // Matches painting04_local
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
        map         _white
        rgb         0.40 * parm11
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d
        rgb         0.15 * parm11
    }

// TDM Ambient Method Related 
	{							
		if (global5 == 1)		
		blend add				
		map				models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d	
		scale			1, 1		
		red				global2	
		green			global3	
		blue			global4	
	}							
	{							
		if (global5 == 2)		
		blend add				
		program	ambientEnvironment.vfp	
		vertexParm		0		1, 1, 1, 1		// UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump	
		vertexParm		1		1, 1, 1, 1	// (X,Y) UV Scale for specular		
		vertexParm		2		global2, global3, global4, 1	

fragmentMap		0		cubeMap env/gen1				
		fragmentMap		1		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting04_local			// Bump				
		fragmentMap		2		models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d			// Diffuse			
		fragmentMap		3		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting04_s			// Specular			
	}
}

merrypainting01_m
{
	wood

diffusemap	models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_m_d
	bumpmap		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting04_local
	specularmap	models/darkmod/props/textures/painting04_s
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        map         _white
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_m_d
    }

{							
		if (global5 == 1)		
		blend add				
		map				models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_m_d
		scale			1, 1		
		red				global2	
		green			global3	
		blue			global4	
	}							
	{							
		if (global5 == 2)		
		blend add				

fragmentMap		2		models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_m_d			// Diffuse			
	}
}

merrypainting01_l
{
	wood

diffusemap	models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_l_d
	bumpmap		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting04_local
	specularmap	models/darkmod/props/textures/painting04_s
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        map         _white
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_l_d
    }

{							
		if (global5 == 1)		
		blend add				
		map				models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_l_d	
		scale			1, 1		
		red				global2	
		green			global3	
		blue			global4	
	}							
	{							
		if (global5 == 2)		
		blend add				

fragmentMap		2		models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_l_d			// Diffuse			
	}
}
  • Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Vanished One has the eye of an eagle.

Cool fuits/vegetables! You might also play with the specular levels to find the right balance for each piece.

Now that I mention it, whats up with those stock glass bottles there, they could definitely do with a bit more shine if you ask me.

Edited by RPGista

They have speculars already! I mean, the unpeeled potato is a bit shiny, but otherwise I like how they look!

647c6c3484.jpg

These are looking great! Are you also going to have opened versions of the fruit? say a watermelon cut open? or just the enclosed fruit like above

• Like 1

Yep! I'm gonna do slices of everything. I'm gonna be getting onto cakes and pies and whatnot, so there'll be slices of those too. Just makes sense to make the whole models first so I can lop them in half and texture one face with the insides.

• Like 2

They look fine, but I am fairly sure those long, perfect cucumbers didn't exist before the supermarket era. The same is true for almost all photogenic, bright, perfectly shaped vegetables and fruits. VOX recently published an article on how watermelons have changed in the last few centuries, and it is interesting to check out. Even the reason carrots are a bright orange is due to the Dutch, who cultivated them specifically to look like the national flag. If they looked a shade less bright and shiny, that'd probably do the trick.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That's true, although they had a darker colour, as well as the herbs and the aubergine-like fruits you later find in Pagan-themed missions.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I might make some grimdark textures, but I quite like the vibrancy, realistic or not.

So hey, I have a scene full of these. They're all in the thousands in terms of polys, but have shadowmeshes of like 500 at most, usually lower than 100. There are 0 frame drops compared to normal models, even with that lantern shining on all of them. I'd like to keep them as they are, because at present you could stab yourself on the 'round' objects in the core mod and I'd like a prettier alternative. Are people going to murder me for a high poly count just on principle?

Oh, also, exporting to Blender in order to smooth them out is going to be done in one big batch once all the models are done, since it doesn't affect UVs. It does look way better, but I'm saving it until the models themselves are finalised.

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

I don't know exactly out of my mind about what a good polycount is for fruits and meals (I hope Springheel can give you clarification if it is fine or not), but as you consider the food will be placed as multiple objects on e.g. a table, in scenes like a kitchen with many other models like forks, knives, shelves with dozens of kitchen utensils, I guess keeping the fruits on a low polycount would be a good idea. :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Each piece of fruit is thousands of polys??? A perfectly smooth sphere can be made with less than 500, without even using a normalmap.

Haha, no, sorry, I was speaking hypothetically. I wrote that in a rush while on my lunch. I meant, like, "imagine I have a scene full of these." I just meant that they have a surprisingly low impact on performance provided you have a low-poly shadow mesh. If somebody went on to create something really detailed, with a ton of polys, I just wanted to know if people would tut at the high count on principle, despite it probably not having much of an impact.

Like rich_is_bored said, you should really try solving this by smoothing groups, not adding polygons. I don't know how this works for blender but in 3DS Max you could create a sphere with just a few polygons and make it look smooth (if you don't look to close to the outer edges ;) )

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Airship Ballet,

I have a problem with the painting skins... The paintings look great however after I frob the painting to steal it seems to turn the whole model black! like so

http://i.imgur.com/0lJp57h.jpg