The Dark Mod Forums

Magnanimous Merry's Miscellanea

Airship Ballet

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is a good time to repeat a suggestion that comes up a lot. Someone should make a repository for custom assets, and the best way would be packagining them into an "Asset Store" FM so they're in one place, you can see how they look in games, they're in a form you can easily put into a new FM, and they won't be lost like this.

It also IMO solves the diplomatic issue of how to get newbies contributing assets without promising they'll get in the game. Just make a rule: fan assets are always for the depository for mappers, then a selection of those may or may not be chosen for the base.

I guess I remembering it now because I recall (iirc) Merry wanting to make this before she emigrated away. Now someone else should take it up.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread again in the hopes that someone who has all the files listed in the OP can kindly re-upload them here. Airship Ballet / Merry has neither seen nor responded to my PM on this issue.

It would be a terrible shame if these custom items would become lost forever, and I cannot imagine the possibility that no-one downloaded them.

As it stands, I'm having an issue with the custom electric lights appearing black in-game, while looking normal in DR...any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Just want to bump this thread in the increasingly diminishing hope that someone who has downloaded the assets decides to respond by re-uploading them and sharing the links...

I swear I had downloaded all of these before but couldn't find them, then I had a light bulb moment to check my old computer harddrive and I found all of the files sitting on there minus the ambient files.

So without further ado:

Booze bottles: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5tr1pmuyczhph2u/Booze%20Bottles.zip?dl=0

Electric Indoor Wall Lights: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e691rkxb1ttv4qj/Electric%20Indoor%20Wall%20Lights.zip?dl=0

Note and Scroll Containers: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpx61hn42uef4up/Note%20and%20Scroll%20Containers.zip?dl=0

Paintings (with a fixed materials file as the original was broken): https://www.dropbox.com/s/sotooc62hh2smx5/Paintings.zip?dl=0

Wooden Chests: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvgfficgpyu1vmf/Wooden%20Chests.zip?dl=0

And that should be everything there! Enjoy :)

• Like 3

Bumping this thread again in the hopes that someone who has all the files listed in the OP can kindly re-upload them here. Airship Ballet / Merry has neither seen nor responded to my PM on this issue.

It would be a terrible shame if these custom items would become lost forever, and I cannot imagine the possibility that no-one downloaded them.

As it stands, I'm having an issue with the custom electric lights appearing black in-game, while looking normal in DR...any suggestions?

The original file uploaded which I assume you might have was missing a skin texture, I had this same issue too. My post above has the missing skin texture of the Electric Indoor Wall Lights included in it so just add that file to your FM/TDM folder and it should fix the problem.

You might need to go into the editor and set the skin on the model entities that use it as well.. I can't remember if that's necessary or not but adding the skin file will solve your problems ultimately.

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 2

I swear I had downloaded all of these before but couldn't find them, then I had a light bulb moment to check my old computer harddrive and I found all of the files sitting on there minus the ambient files.

Outstanding, Goldwell!

I'm so very pleased that we were able to rescue these files from seemingly online oblivion. :D

If anything, this experience re-emphasizes the need for a central repository for custom created items.

EDIT:

@Goldwell,

I just checked the OP to see if we rescued all the files. It seems that Merry/Airship also uploaded some ambient sound files - any chance you downloaded them as well?

Edited by Dunedain19
  • Like 2

@Goldwell,

I just checked the OP to see if we rescued all the files. It seems that Merry/Airship also uploaded some ambient sound files - any chance you downloaded them as well?

As I mentioned in my original post the only one I missed was the ambients file so you'll have to rely on someone else to upload that. However if memory serves me correct there were only 3 or 5 ambient files.

I will get these added the the prefab folder in due course.

@Gw, could you give me the above in a single file..?

Sure, here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnfx7u8txj7iy4c/Airship%20Ballet%20-%20All%20Combined.zip?dl=0

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 1

Paintings (with a fixed materials file as the original was broken): https://www.dropbox.com/s/sotooc62hh2smx5/Paintings.zip?dl=0

I remember Airship spoke of optimising that package, including converting the diffusemap image files from 'monstrous' .tga into .dds which is just a fraction of the size. I know my version is an older one (though it did have material file fixes) so I waited to see if someone had a newer version with these improvements, but it looks like she didn't get around to it.

This painting package is a staple of my mapping, so I had already done most of the work in optimising the package for Down by the Riverside. Just went back and systematically finished off the rest, which got the .pk4's size down to 10mb instead of 55mb.

Dropbox - Airship Paintings, modified

Here's a rundown of the changes I made:

• Diffusemaps are compressed in .dds as per TDM convention, reducing their size down to 22%. This has effects on file size as well as performance.
  • Every painting had its own normalmap for a total of 55, but the only difference between them was the frame of which there are 6 different types. So now there are just 6 normalmaps in the package.
  • The original package had three copies of every image: l, m and 'standard'. However, stock TDM only uses one image size, standard, except for the horizontal desktop painting which oddly uses m. (Stock TDM does have the naming scheme painting01, painting01_m, painting01_l, but these are in fact three different pictures of the same dimensions.) I've deleted both of the 256x256 copies for each image, leaving just the l-sized 512x512 images, which are the conventional size for TDM's paintings.

More 'weight' can be saved by checking at the end which of the paintings you use and deleting the rest. If you use a lot of the paintings, then you could use filters to isolate all the paintings in the map and check their skins.

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 2

I remember Airship spoke of optimising that package, including converting the diffusemap image files from 'monstrous' .tga into .dds which is just a fraction of the size. I know my version is an older one (though it did have material file fixes) so I waited to see if someone had a newer version with these improvements, but it looks like she didn't get around to it.

This painting package is a staple of my mapping, so I had already done most of the work in optimising the package for Down by the Riverside. Just went back and systematically finished off the rest, which got the .pk4's size down to 10mb instead of 55mb.

Dropbox - Airship Paintings, modified

Here's a rundown of the changes I made:

• Diffusemaps are compressed in .dds as per TDM convention, reducing their size down to 22%. This has effects on file size as well as performance.
  • Every painting had its own normalmap for a total of 55, but the only difference between them was the frame of which there are 6 different types. So now there are just 6 normalmaps in the package.
  • The original package had three copies of every image: l, m and 'standard'. However, stock TDM only uses one image size, standard, except for the horizontal desktop painting which oddly uses m. (Stock TDM does have the naming scheme painting01, painting01_m, painting01_l, but these are in fact three different pictures of the same dimensions.) I've deleted both of the 256x256 copies for each image, leaving just the l-sized 512x512 images, which are the conventional size for TDM's paintings.

More 'weight' can be saved by checking at the end which of the paintings you use and deleting the rest. If you use a lot of the paintings, then you could use filters to isolate all the paintings in the map and check their skins.

Fantastic work here Dragofer!

I am still getting the problem I had on the original where if I loot one of the paintings it shows up as a black box, any idea on a fix for that?

4YjvP6A.jpg

Fantastic work here Dragofer!

I am still getting the problem I had on the original where if I loot one of the paintings it shows up as a black box, any idea on a fix for that?

4YjvP6A.jpg

Here, the right replacement for the looted painting is missing. Try setting the spawnarg "replace" to "atdm:empty_painting" in the right size and form (you can check the tdm_loot.def for which empty paintings are available and other painting examples).

• Like 1